Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help! Animals died in the dining room!  (Read 632 times)

Sarvaartha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help! Animals died in the dining room!
« on: October 14, 2013, 06:32:11 pm »

I've read about everything on the wiki that I could, and some forum postings, but I can't get the animals moved to the butcher.

So, this all came about because I set the dining room area as the gathering hall. All near the wagon (including a stray water buffalo bull and a stray horse) came 4 z-levels down to the new location. These two mentioned animals died from starvation at the beginning of the new year, and I can't for the life of me get them moved to butcher. I've never dealt with a butcher before, so I made a butcher workshop in the dining room close to the bodies (big dining room). Here are other things I have tried to do with no success:

• Created a refuse pile next to the butcher workshop. It is specified ONLY for corpses, and the additional options are set for "Allow plant/animal."
  • Under "Set Orders", I have in the r: refuse option that dwarves are both allowed to gather refuse and allowed to gather it from outside (though they technically didn't die outside)
  • I have ten idle dwarves at this time having a party around the corpses. Maybe they're just celebrating Armok?

So, any other ideas would be great, since I don't care to have miasma in the dining area...

Oh, and any idea how to allow only set it so the dwarves congregate in the gathering area...?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Animals died in the dining room!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 07:10:23 pm »

Tame animals will not be butchered upon their death, even though they can be slaughtered while they are still alive.

Because they are fort members, animals are put into a corpse stockpile along with your dwarves, not a refuse stockpile.

If you want to keep animals outside your meeting area, try pasturing or caging some of them. Just remember to make sure all grazing creatures have a pasture in a grassy area so that they won't starve.

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 07:31:20 pm »

What BlackFlyme said... and here's some more...

To butcher tame animals you need to go into your stocks [z] and into the animals section.

Sarvaartha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2013, 07:45:25 pm »

Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately, I wasn't fast enough, and the game decided to rub it into my face via about 20 migrants showing up (not one with skills I needed). Not only am I woefully ill-prepared, but the first experience in their new home is the welcoming purple arms of miasma. Great.

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 11:33:19 am »

Don't worry, I think every first fortress has to produce miasma. Otherwise there would be something missing. ;)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 11:42:11 am »

Because they are fort members, animals are put into a corpse stockpile along with your dwarves, not a refuse stockpile.
It was my recollection that this only happened if you had marked them as "Available" for adoption - otherwise, they go to a refuse stockpile but are still not butcherable.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Mythalinear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2013, 11:43:00 am »

Heck, in my first fortress one of my dwarfs died in the meeting hall and it was only after his ghost started causing problems that I noticed all my dwarves were quite upset by the fully skelified corpse that had been sitting at the dining table for months. *chuckle* that was pretty bad.