Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bolt recovery  (Read 408 times)

Zeebie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bolt recovery
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:48:53 am »

Does anyone know what the conditions are for missed bolts being able to be recovered? I have memories of past games in which my battlefields would be littered with intact bolts, but in my current one it's probably less than 1%.  It's got me thinking about the mechanics of it.  Anyone know?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt recovery
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:02:38 pm »

If a bolt hits someting and has less than a z-level to fall to the ground, it breaks. If it runs out of range and drops more than a level it remains intact. If it hits a soft target, it also has a chance to lodge in the wound and remain intact

that's as much as I know
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bolt recovery
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 12:58:23 pm »

If a bolt hits someting and has less than a z-level to fall to the ground, it breaks. If it runs out of range and drops more than a level it remains intact. If it hits a soft target, it also has a chance to lodge in the wound and remain intact

that's as much as I know

Can you say with any certainty that this knowledge applies to 'guest' bolts?
sometimes my exterior is so littered with bolts that I must have dwarfs trying to put a ballistic arc on them.

I guess a large number of flyers might cause bolts that miss to fall back to earth
Ellipsis free since August 2013.