Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [IC] The Birth of Equestria  (Read 7253 times)

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [IC] The Birth of Equestria
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 05:13:38 am »

Aurora

"If either of you wish to refuse the duel, do so now. The other will be chosen as pioneer."

"I accept the terms, and look forward to the duel." Autumn says without pause.

Aurora smiles warmly at Autumn. "As the one who proposed a duel, I will of course not back out now." A magical glow envelopes Aurora's bag as she telekinetically undoes the latch and floats it over to a wall, then looks back at the Ring. "What are to be our terms? Anything goes? Courtesy forfeit? First blood? Cake? Or will this be a concept exhibition?"

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 05:27:59 am »

Walk off back to my forest. .
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 08:15:43 am by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Boxman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2013, 09:53:19 pm »

The food reminded Borak of his life before Equestria. At least the sight of the dishes did. Being perfectly honest the food tasted  better than what he could remember ever having. Especially the apple slices. As much as he tried to start a conversation, he found that he could not resist continually grabbing another of the delicious sliced red's. This time, when prompted to speak, Borak immediately complied. “This is a fine city! A very welcomed sight for us weary travelers. I am sure I speak for everyone when I say we are excited to continue our touring tomorrow.” Taking a moment to munch on the crisp sliver in hoof, he continues. “I have heard some disturbing things about these ponies called Aspect hunters?” He probed as he did his best to study the reactions of the nobles. “This seems like a problem that needs addressing. If it pleases you, I would ask to help Edjane in her attempts to stop this threat.” The half eaten morsel found its way onto Borak's plate as his two hooves clopped in front of his face. “Of course, the safety of my companions will be at the foremost of my mind. But if nothing else, I believe I can offer fresh insight into the situation.” Smiling for a little bit as they considered his proposal he continued. “Besides, I have never been one to read about a culture like my companions here” he said, indicating Sirara and FlameFlipper. “I'd feel more comfortable learning your culture through working with my hooves.” His proposal finished, he waited patiently for a response. He purposely stared forward, ignoring the nearly finished apple slice currently trying to entice him, lest he seem rude.

The Stallion also had another agenda in mind. He hadn't forgotten about Marrin and his cowardly attack on his group. Seeing no other heirs, he knew that one day Marrin would be the one in command. If the colt never learned the value of life, he expected friendly relations to be extremely strained. Information about the defensive capabilities of Numbra would be extremely valuable, especially to Commander Hurricane. Of course, Marrin had shown Borak that at least he wasn't a heartless monster. Perhaps there was hope for the bratty colt, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

Another important discovery were these aspect hunters. Borak wanted to learn as much about these ponies as possible. The ability to steal other ponies abilities was a dangerous idea. Crime and attacks in Equestria would surely rise exponentially if these ability thieves managed to make their way to Equestria. He would learn everything that he could and crush the threat here and now, before these hunters grew out of hand. That way, he could at least delay these thieves making it to Equestria. By then he would have already informed the ring and they could handle preparations themselves. The only problem was, he hadn't thought of how he was going to go about stopping these hunters. This didn't deter his conviction however, he had always been able to solve problems back in Equestria, now would be no different.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
  • Panther of the East Jungle
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 18, 2013, 07:24:08 pm »

EQUESTRIA, CLAN HALL
"A duel then. In twenty four hours, on university grounds. The terms will be decided by the judges. Likely, it will be a demonstration of power. The judges will call halt, and then they vote for the winner, if one isn't obvious."

"As for the rest, chosen pioneers should prepare for the journey ahead, and prospectives can do as they wish until the next christening. You are dismissed."

ONE DAY LATER

EQUESTRIA, UNIVERSITY
Aurora finds herself at the acclaimed Equestrian university, on the training grounds. Universities are a rarity in this day and age, and represent a great step forward for any nation. The only other such establishment found in the centrallands would be the university in Glistens. Even Bulwark has no such thing as a centre of learning and research.

The difference between the university in Glistens, of course, is the lack of attendance from pegasi and earth ponies. The university back in Aurora's home is focused on magic, whereas here the university is a centre of mundane knowledge, as well as arcane. You wouldn't know it from where Aurora stands, though. Several other unicorns can be seen testing spells, and even dueling outright. Of course, a large portion of the training grounds has been cleared for government use.

Aurora can see the Magister and the Chief standing to the side. Regal Silver sits under an umbrella held by a servant, fan levitated to her side, a small smile on her face. She waves at Aurora in a posh fashion. Clover the Clever stands, rigid, with a neutral expression on her face. She seems eternally in that state, guardedly stern. Across from the ring members, three unicorns sit. One, an aged green mare smiling, another, a dark purple stallion levitating several bags around himself, and the last, a red mare wearing thick lenses.

There are also a few other onlookers, three unicorns. Two look of noble stature. A muscled, pristine white unicorn stallion with a dull grey mane wears high quality, highly detailed armour, an amused look on his face. An enormous sword can be seen on his back. The other noble, a red coated, yellow maned stallion looks quite petite compared to his companion. His clothing seems simple, at first, but one can spot velvet highlights on the edges and cuffs. Clothes that say 'I'm wealthy, but I don't want to show it off'. The last unicorn, a light blue mare with a white mane, is wearing nothing to indicate status, but the fact that she's maintaining a levitation spell on herself says a lot about her skill. She sits, mid air, with a content look on her face.

Finally, across from Aurora, Autumn Switch of the Swift Dogs stands, a determined look on her face. Her falcon can be seen flying above the university, keeping watch.

"Duelists Autumn Switch and Aurora Dawn, attention!" the purple stallion levitating the bags begins. "Instructor Sage, Instructor Trip, and myself, Instructor Days will be your judges today. The terms are Vote Baring Submission. This means the duel will continue until either one of you admits defeat, or I call halt, at which point the three judges will vote on the victor. You have only been given components that are absolutely necessary for your spell repertoire. No weapons are allowed. Do the duelists accept the terms?"

"Yes, I accept," Autumn says as she assumes a fighting stance.

EQUESTRIA
Sam finds himself getting ready to leave the city, disappointed in his failure to join the ranks of the pioneers. Before he is able to leave, though, a child approaches him. This is, in itself, strange. Almost everyone here in the city avoided Sam, but this filly shows no fear. She walks along with the towering minotaur as he makes his way to the gates.

"Hey, cow-thing! Where are you going?" she asks with curiosity.

Basayen finds himself... well, wherever he wants! He's a full fledged pioneer now, and passerby that notice his sigil often stop him to ask about who he is, or when he was initiated. Some give respectful nods, or even cheers. The ring told him that a messenger would find him when he was needed, or a scroll would be teleported to him. Where does he go?

NUMBRA, LORD XAVUS' MANOR
"Aspect hunters are a problem rooted deep into our society, foreigner-- I mean... Pioneer." Melesa says, a bit defensively. "It is a problem that must be changed over a great deal of time, with care, and with policy. You'll find it is impossible to stop them through violent means."

"And the ones fighting hardest against them are often seen as the greatest prey... How many times have the hunters gone after you, Edjane?" Helen asks, with a more serious tone than she's shown before.

"Countess times. But those attacks occurred when I attempted to take them on directly, or hunted them outside the city." Edjane responds. "Borak, this is not your fight. If you get involved, you will risk your life, your companions, and, most importantly, your mission," she says sternly, but with her own kind of affection.

"Let's not talk of hunters. I have a great story for our guests!" Helen says, returning to her eccentric attitude. Esse might have stopped Helen then, but for whatever reason, she didn't.

"Many decades ago, when Xavus was young and attractive, and I was... Well, I was pretty much the same as I am now, we had a unique relationship. His father, the ruler at the time, banished me for abhorrent magics, much to the jubilance of the townsfolk. I didn't really mind at the time, the place was getting quite dull anyway. But along comes Xavus. He was so charming, and especially hot-headed! And he was so knowledgeable of the laws of the city, much more so than even the Mind of his father. In an especially potent rebellious stint, he had those frequently, he found a loophole in the banishment law. A banished pony could be welcomed back only by lawful marriage to a family member of the banisher. Now, normally, this wouldn't be a problem, as the patriarch controls marriages in Numbran society. But ever since the occupation and annexation, the laws concerning betrothal have been confused, often clashing with Numbra's more absolute laws. So, in short, Xavus was able to bring me back by taking me as his Body! What an outrage that was! He sure showed his father!"

"But the especially good bit is this: I'm immortal! The young Xavus thought he could simply marry me as his whore-wife and forget about it when I died. But, unfortunately for him, I stuck around. And, since he is the especially honourable type, he will not banish or execute me, as his father might have. Isn't that just, so amusing?"

During this story, the pioneers would note that nobody tried to stop her. In fact, nobody, not even the servants, moved an inch the entire time.

"Oh, yes, sorry about that," the witch says as ponies in the room started moving once more, some stumbling a little as they continued walking.

"Helen! You absolute... Xavus has told you-- I have told you multiple times that you are not to use your enchantments! Xavus, do something!" the lady whines.

Xavus seems completely undisturbed by anything that just transpired. He keeps his stern expression, lacking any sign of embarrassment or outrage. He does, however, close his eyes and exhale deeply.

"Helen, you are not to use any enchantments, now or in the future. Now, stay silent as we continue this dinner," he says with unwarranted calm, but the pioneers could sense he was holding back his anger. "Now, Pioneer Borak, your involvement of the policing of my city will forever remain limited, as you are a foreigner. I do not trust you, so now I will ask you all questions that may allow me to gauge your trustworthiness."

"Tell me of your journey here, what trials you faced, your full purpose, and your intention."
Quote from: Isaac Asimov
I write for the same reason I breathe — because if I didn't, I would die.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 18, 2013, 08:08:54 pm »

Sam looks down at the girl for a moment considering crushing her skull then sighs inwardly and shakes his head for a moment trying to clear it. And largely failing.

After almost a full minute of stuttered starts he finally speaks.

"Back to my forest, I was meant to be a pioneer but the self confessed traitor who admitted she abandoned her allies to die and helped to murder them because somebody offered her money is more trustworthy."
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 18, 2013, 08:17:10 pm »

EQUESTRIA, SOUTH GATES
The child looks at you blankly, as if not fully understanding what you said.

"Um... Going to the forest? Isn't that scary? My momma tells me that there are monsters there that can eat you, and snake things, and spiders! You shouldn't go there." she concludes.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 18, 2013, 08:20:17 pm »

Sam laughs loudly for a moment then grins.

"Watch this."

He then picks the girl up and swings her around in the air and waits for the inevitable reaction from the nearby people.

(( Swings her around in the way fathers do with little kids to make them laugh, not violently. I'm guessing from her speech pattern it's a girl? ))
Caine's law.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 18, 2013, 08:28:54 pm »

Aurora

Regal Silver sits under an umbrella held by a servant, fan levitated to her side, a small smile on her face. She waves at Aurora in a posh fashion.

Aurora smiles and waves in kind.

No weapons are allowed. Do the duelists accept the terms?"

Aurora glances momentarily up at the exposed sky above the duelists, then responds. "Yes, I accept." Aurora's horn lights up and a small cloud of dust is raised from the ground, where it swirls at knee level for a moment before being released outward in a flashy gesture.

Examining Autumn's fighting stance closely, Aurora grins and responds by sitting back on her haunches with forelegs held loosely at an angle in the air in front of her. The posture resembles how one might sit when about to be tackled by an affectionate puppy, far more than any defensive stance. But Aurora simply gazes happily at Autumn, without a care in the world...holding her forelegs at that peculiar angle and smiling as if she knows something her opponent doesn't...

...and waits for the command to begin to be given.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2013, 08:42:06 pm »

EQUESTRIA, UNIVERSITY
"Begin!" the instructor says.

EQUESTRIA, SOUTH GATES
Some ponies look over when you make the motion to grab the filly, even a nearby guard starts walking over. The filly's reaction is a bit different, though. She doesn't see you as a monster, or a threat, so she laughs when you swing her back and forth. This doesn't stop the guard from confronting you.

"Minotaur, do you know this child?" he asks brusquely.

"Uh, yeah! He's my... er, brother?" she says. The guard seems unconvinced.

"Your brother?" he asks skeptically.

"Yeah! Uh, we're all brothers and sisters down at the orphanage, right... uh, brother?" she says as you put her down.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 18, 2013, 08:43:47 pm »

Sam gives an appropriately childlike smile to the guard and nods.

" She's my little sister, annoying little twerp always causing a scene. "

Caine's law.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 18, 2013, 08:48:26 pm »

EQUESTRIA, SOUTH GATES
The guard still looks suspicious, but you 'sister' counters his suspicion by saying, "C'mon, big brother, I wanted to show you something back at the orphanage! Buh-bye, sir guard!" She nudges you northward, and waits for you to follow.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2013, 08:49:33 pm »

Sam still grinning childishly turns to follow then spins back round to face the guard.

BOOO

Then follows chuckling to himself.

(( If the guard stabs me now it'll be worth it. That had to be done. ))
Caine's law.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2013, 09:03:43 pm »

EQUESTRIA, SOUTH GATES
The guard, despite himself, jumps a little at your scare. You scared the passer-by by more, though.

EQUESTRIA, OLDE EARTH ORPHANAGE
The filly leads you into a well maintained, large building. It sharply contrasts with the surrounding homes, some of which are falling apart, or are abandoned. The smallfolk give you a wide berth as you enter the building.

Inside, you find a large, open room full of fillies and colts. Perhaps to your surprise, the room is well furnished, and stocked with quality toys. A few adults are present, dealing with the kids, but one in particular catches your eye.

The ring member, and your potential sponsor, Tipped Scales is here, distributing new toys to the orphans from a nearby box. He looks up and smiles when he see you enter.

"Hey, there, sir Sam! Glad you could make it," he says as he signals for someone else to take over. As he approaches you, he tosses a bit in the direction of your 'sister'. "Good job, Marble."

"Cool! See ya around, mister cow!" the filly says as she runs off.

"Cute little kid, isn't she?" he says as he sees her off. "How are you, Sam?" he asks wit hconcern in his voice.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2013, 09:05:50 pm »

Sam watches the girl go looking slightly worried for a moment and twitching slightly as if to run after her.

" I want to go home, I don't need to stay here now. "
Caine's law.

Silcugar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 18, 2013, 09:34:01 pm »

EQUESTRIA, OLDE EARTH ORPHANAGE

The ring member nods sagely. "Hm, yes, I don't blame you. After the ring so torridly cast you aside! I begged, pleaded with them, but they don't recognize your potential. But I do. You're very unique, Sam, believe me when I say that. I think you can do great things for Equestria." he says, but quickly shifts gears.

"I mean, you could return to the forest. But that place hasn't served you very well, now has it? You've been through a lot Sam. Many hardships, but it's made you so much stronger! I'm the only one on the ring that recognizes the value of refinement by suffering. But you have suffered enough, Sam. Don't return to that place. Stay here, and I promise you a future as a pioneer."
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5