Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: First Goblin Ambush  (Read 3332 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: First Goblin Ambush
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2013, 11:48:59 am »

I just had my first goblin ambush too, and only 3 of my 5-man military survived. Some other civilians died too, due to sticking around outside instead of fleeing into the fortress. One military dorf also got severly injured and can't stand or grasp properly anymore.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2013, 03:46:52 pm »

« Last Edit: November 24, 2016, 12:42:22 am by Ebonblade7 »

Asra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2013, 06:14:20 pm »

Yes, but your spear will likely no longer be in the vault. It might be on the floor somewhere. Also the goblins might not even be hostile to you if you come from a different dwarf civilization.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 04:43:13 am »

They also use wells to wash at. And get a happy thought from that too. But I think the general happy thought from wells is like the happy thoughts from roads or bridges too: they're just fancy works of architecture that dwarves like to admire (so use expensive mechanisms, buckets and blocks for your wells, if you can).

It does make me mad when I make it a meeting area, and more people are admiring the damn well than my legendary dining room.

If you're angered by the dwarfs using your well as a meeting area, perhaps you shouldn't _define_ it as a meeting area? Because that's all the designation does: it tells dwarfs they can hang around the place in their spare time and throw parties. A well is perfectly functional "as built", dwarfs will automatically use it as a water source as long as it has water, no zone definitions or room designations required.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 05:32:24 pm »

If you're angered by the dwarfs using your well as a meeting area, perhaps you shouldn't _define_ it as a meeting area? Because that's all the designation does: it tells dwarfs they can hang around the place in their spare time and throw parties. A well is perfectly functional "as built", dwarfs will automatically use it as a water source as long as it has water, no zone definitions or room designations required.
I don't anymore. It was my first well, and built in practically a closet. I figured having another meeting area wouldn't hurt, and I assumed it would draw a small amount of traffic. To my surprise it was much more popular than the dining room.

It wouldn't have been a problem if the size of the room designation affected the number of dwarves that gathered there. Instead I had over 40 dwarves lying in piles on the rough stone floors of practically a closet to admire a well. I had maybe 15 dwarves in the dining room as grand as Moria's. It was bewildering.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 03:39:53 pm »

I think about 15 dwarves died in my first ambush, they kept going out to collect wood and getting hit by goblin lashers... it didn't stop until my military dwarves finally got off their lazy hindquarters and slaughtered the goblins, one dwarf actually beat three goblins to death with her crossbow...

Oddible

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2013, 06:32:40 pm »

I have yet to have an ambush / siege so I have some questions, and a comment or two on what has already been said.

Comment first:  your chickens don't need to graze (no fowl do I think) so you can lock them away in a room underground and they'll be happy as can be.  Just make sure it is a big enough room that they don't fight. 

Questions:  How much wealth did your fortress have? I'm on my second fort (the first was in such a low hostility place that it never had any fun) and it is up to about 250K right now.  I've started making steel armor and weapons which is likely to attract some attention.  If you got 2 sieges that quickly you likely ramped up your wealth rather quickly right?  Between figuring out how to do stuff and being a bit overcautious my wealth has progressed slowly.

How did the second siege break your defenses if you have the ability to close up your fort completely?  I've been careful not to get too much wealth until I at least have a wall with a snakey hallway with bridges at both ends first.  Now that I'm making steel I've built a second story over my snakey hall and have fortifications overlooking it as well as facing outside the fort in anticipation of any goblin antics.  I've broken into caverns so I have cave moss for underground grazing (though there aren't enough trees growing in there to keep my metal industry rolling if I get shut in, and no lignite or bituminous anywhere in the biome, and magma is at -3).

Bihlbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2013, 11:32:39 pm »

The first time I got ambushed I didn't know it could happen. Most of the dwarves died and the ones who didn't were locked away in rooms the goblins couldn't reach. If I had a military it didn't do the job. Those who didn't starve or dehydrate went crazy, destroyed their door and got killed, or attacked everyone around them. One ambush and the whole fort was lost.

More recently the worst I've done is loose nearly all my animals and a handful of poorly-trained, poorly-equipped military before the rest were walled in. But in the years I've been playing I've learned my lessons and more often than not I don't loose a dwarf. But you gotta fail a lot before that happens.

Fen

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretly A Kobold Werebull
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 05, 2013, 07:51:18 am »

My first goblin raid? I... it...
lashers.

So many lashers. One of them had a beak dog. My meager newbie military never stood a chance. Nobody did.
This space for rent

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 05, 2013, 07:59:04 am »

I remeber my first ambush well. All of them ended in cage traps. Later i captured a minotaur and decided to make a gladiator show.
Of course, i did't know that minotaurs can break doors. All the goblins and the beast escaped and everybody had great fun.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 05, 2013, 10:31:56 am »

My first goblin raid? I... it...
lashers.

So many lashers. One of them had a beak dog. My meager newbie military never stood a chance. Nobody did.
I'm guessing you didn't build a danger room to train up your military...

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2013, 11:18:07 am »

My first 2 or 3 ambushes pretty much wiped out the whole fortress... it was just bloody mess. I still don't use danger rooms hoping that drafting whole fortress and setting up moderately efficient training programmes along with some cage traps will let me handle the thing.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2013, 12:44:03 pm »

My first full-on goblin raid wiped my game.  I got spear goblins, or whatever the ranged ones are called, and they just sniped everything in the zone from miles away until it wasn't worth continuing.  The first time I made it through the first wave of goblins was a Good Day.

Pretty much the only thing that gives me a sad now is the undead.  They ignore traps and just stroll down your heavily trapped Corridor of Death to shake your greeting dwarves firmly by the throat.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2013, 05:15:17 pm »

My first ambush in this version, welp. All my dogs adult dogs died, so there goes my source of meat. One child got snatched (meh, children are worthless), two dwarves died, and then three dwarves got filled with bolts. One will probably be fine after some time, the other two are paraplegics. My short sword military killed one goblin ambusher, one goblin snatcher got blasted by a stonefall trap, and another got cage-trapped. Ugh. I'm not certain what I'm going to do yet, but I will probably have to to set up some drowning chamber and make more sword dwarves.

And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

kiwiphoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2013, 12:19:16 am »

First goblin ambush was discovered and subseqently shredded by the ongoing necromancer siege they turned up in the middle of.
Killed a necromancer and left loads of free equipment. It was like a gory christmas come early.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4