Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: First Goblin Ambush  (Read 3337 times)

Vid_the_Impaler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Goblin Ambush
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2013, 02:20:06 pm »

Does this become a historical event?

It does become a historical event. However, since it was an ambush it has probably been named after a kidnapping, not the battle itself.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2013, 03:30:51 pm »

Also, the captain of the light troops had an axe. Oops. Anyway, he is apparently 'The Gloved Order' now. I guess that means he is an historical figure?

I think all fortress dwarves are historical figures, some already before they migrate to your fort, and the rest become ones when they arrive (since you can get them to migrate to later forts).

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 03:53:41 pm »

Damn goblins. A snatcher beat a baby in its mothers arms to death. Why do they target the baby first? Does the dwarf mistake it for a shield or something?

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 04:11:06 pm »

I am totally panicking right now! the goblins launched a siege! My defenses are adequate to just lock up the fortress I think.

One of the dwarves wants to bury a trader who was chilling in the edge of the map. I managed to stop him in time, but he decided to wait outside the fort. The switch was thrown and the fort isolated. He was shortly afterward consumed by a wave of goblins. Good thing he didn't have any friends.

The livestock have been slaughtered. I didn't really use them anyway. I should have pastured the hens inside though, they produce a lot of food. I'll have to trade for some more.

With no well (I didn't think it was important) the wounded from the ambush are pretty thirsty. Should I make one for future sieges?

The goblins milled around my gates for a few days, then promptly up and left. No other dwarves died. Should I have met them in combat instead? I know that is the more dwarfy thing to do, but would it have been better for my fort?

The goblins are roaming the countryside near the fort. When will they leave?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 04:47:38 pm by Ebonblade7 »

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 05:50:14 pm »

Wells are only useful for wounded, and to make dwarves happy. Why a well filled with water makes them happy is beyond me...

The goblins should leave. However, advanced DF players often have a fuck-the-world lever for such situations. I suggest reading boatmurdered if the concept is new to you.

General defense suggestions. Never, unless you know better, meet them in combat. Let them come to you. Every proper mountain hall has a defensive cooridor for bloodbaths. Its usually a good idea to have a contingency in case that fails. I have emergency doors for quick lock-downs and a draw bridge before and after my defensive cooridor. The fortress proper starts beyond that.

Its often a good idea to have underground "bunkers" that aren't connected to your fortress for the occasional straggler to hide in. There are tons of ways to make them safe, often abusing ramp position in relation to doors and hatches works well. Its not uncommon to have pillboxes employ a similar idea, that are connected to your fortress, and not accessible from the outside, for marksdwarves, dragons, or captured FB's with a ranged attack.

Also, in general train more marksdwarves. If they aren't effective you don't have enough of them. Even unskilled marksdwarves, en mass, are deadly and its a "safe" defense. Not to mention they can take pot-shots at goblins stopped at the gates. Might even be able to injure them enough to reclaim the surface.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:16 pm »

Wells are only useful for wounded, and to make dwarves happy. Why a well filled with water makes them happy is beyond me...

They also use wells to wash at. And get a happy thought from that too. But I think the general happy thought from wells is like the happy thoughts from roads or bridges too: they're just fancy works of architecture that dwarves like to admire (so use expensive mechanisms, buckets and blocks for your wells, if you can).

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 06:09:34 pm »

They also use wells to wash at. And get a happy thought from that too. But I think the general happy thought from wells is like the happy thoughts from roads or bridges too: they're just fancy works of architecture that dwarves like to admire (so use expensive mechanisms, buckets and blocks for your wells, if you can).

It does make me mad when I make it a meeting area, and more people are admiring the damn well than my legendary dining room. I have the uggliest well in a room small enough to be a closet by my standards (I make big rooms). And yet dwarves spend more time in this closet built off of my hospital than my legendary dining room. I wanted to collapse the ceiling to preserve dwarven culture...

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 06:53:21 pm »

I am totally panicking right now! the goblins launched a siege! My defenses are adequate to just lock up the fortress I think.

One of the dwarves wants to bury a trader who was chilling in the edge of the map. I managed to stop him in time, but he decided to wait outside the fort. The switch was thrown and the fort isolated. He was shortly afterward consumed by a wave of goblins. Good thing he didn't have any friends.

The livestock have been slaughtered. I didn't really use them anyway. I should have pastured the hens inside though, they produce a lot of food. I'll have to trade for some more.

With no well (I didn't think it was important) the wounded from the ambush are pretty thirsty. Should I make one for future sieges?

The goblins milled around my gates for a few days, then promptly up and left. No other dwarves died. Should I have met them in combat instead? I know that is the more dwarfy thing to do, but would it have been better for my fort?

The goblins are roaming the countryside near the fort. When will they leave?
The fundamental question: Do your dwarves have a shot? Could they kill a large number of them, maybe 20 or so? Would it be possible to pick them off by crossbow? Even more important, are you sure there is no possibility of endangering the rest of the fort? If the answer is no to any of these, don't bother, a tantrum spiral is the last thing you need. They will leave, though it may be some months. If you can pick a few off a few by archer, then do so, they can leave if enough of their number are lost. Wells are essential, you will find a need to lock down the fort will only grow till your military can take them head on.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 07:07:19 pm »

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still not sure if I should fight them. There are only ~15 speargoblins. Combat would at least be more Fun than the war of attrition thing.

The wounded are all infected (no water, no washing). Medical treatment honestly sucks. I have some beds, a bit of cloth and a few traction benches (and a high master diagnoser). Will all the infected troops die?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 07:19:04 pm by Ebonblade7 »

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 07:12:05 pm »

I put up some cage traps in the area around my fort for catching animals for trade (mostly for fun and the occasional pet/livestock). 3 goblins were caught. I'll retrieve them later.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 08:18:33 pm »

Lengthened my entrance corridor and added more traps. I'm ready. I think I'll make a sacrifice to Armok or something first...I think I have a few useless barrels of blood I haven't emptied.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 10:49:09 pm »

I trapped (cages) most of the goblins, then charged with my military. It was a slaughter. Only 4 of my military of ~12 came out alive, and they have major injuries. My commander (a pretty cool dude ~10 kills, artifact coffin tomb) is dead.

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:45 pm »

A month after we finally cut down the last goblin, ANOTHER FUCKING SIEGE ARRIVES!!! SO MUCH FUN!!!

With totally spent defenses and a military of 4, thsi one is at least twice as big, with a troll, general, and squad of bowmen. I am so fucked. Maybe I settled too close to the goblins?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 11:03:52 pm by Ebonblade7 »

Ebonblade7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 11:13:10 pm »

Well, every last dwarf, female dwarf, and dwarf child was butchered. Now I can be an archeologist/adventurer "excavating" the fort. Will the goblins still be there?

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 11:31:03 pm »

Well, every last dwarf, female dwarf, and dwarf child was butchered. Now I can be an archeologist/adventurer "excavating" the fort. Will the goblins still be there?
First, edit your old comment rather then making a new one.

Second, yes, a few will idle there forever; this game was originally solely for the purpose of making your own personal Moria to excavate, so the "random creatures invade your fort to serve as enemies as well as whatever killed it staying" thing is pretty well-developed. Train hard, and bring meat-shields if you're not confidant.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4