Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: The Mandate - Imperial Space Russia Kickstarts into SPACE *Now with Prolouge*  (Read 9419 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Please remember to check the devs' credentials. Mandate's does seem to have some backbone to it, whereas I'm guessing StarCommand were probably first-time gamedevs.

Drakale

• Bay Watcher
  • I will get my revenge~
    • View Profile

Man the spaceship demo is pretty good. The shield physics and beam heat/damage effects are really cool.

Not much more than a tech demo at this point, but it got my interest.

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

They should just make the first form of the character creation a mad lib.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

So I just read a really interesting interview on Rock Paper Shotgun, and got super excited. I decided I was gonna back this, because it deserved to be done. Unfortunately, when I started looking at the reward tiers, I found out that a lot of the higher-paying ones already contain "access to the first three content updates" and access to the "first expansion".

I feel kind of deflated - and unsure whether to back this all over again. The game itself looks pretty amazing, but I am not a fan of paying over and over for the same game. It's not entirely clear what these new content updates are either, or how they differ from the expansion. I'm only interested in the sandbox elements, so I couldn't care less if it's "more linear campaign", but we just don't know what it is.

Any ideas?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Certainly seems to hit a lot of ideas I'm interested in. I just wonder if they can deliver something that's actually satisfying, though.

Going to ponder for a bit before I decide if i want to back this or not.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

More people need to back this thing.

I'm not sure why you are against planned expansions/content.  It just means they are going to continue working on the game after they release it.  Those who are in with the bricks get X number of expansions/content for free.

Content updates probably just amounts to more ships/weapons or something of the likes.  Not sure how big their expansions are going to be though, maybe CK2 level?  Or Distant Worlds level?
Also, the expansions are probably going to be more random events/quest lines to extend the sandbox/end game.  And uhh... from what they describe, I don't believe the campaign is linear, more of a branching type, since you can choose to abandon the mandate and join different factions and what-not... maybe?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile

More people need to back this thing.

I'm not sure why you are against planned expansions/content.  It just means they are going to continue working on the game after they release it.  Those who are in with the bricks get X number of expansions/content for free.

Content updates probably just amounts to more ships/weapons or something of the likes.  Not sure how big their expansions are going to be though, maybe CK2 level?  Or Distant Worlds level?
Also, the expansions are probably going to be more random events/quest lines to extend the sandbox/end game.  And uhh... from what they describe, I don't believe the campaign is linear, more of a branching type, since you can choose to abandon the mandate and join different factions and what-not... maybe?

I guess it's just this idea that if you haven't proven you can make a game, why should you be thinking about additional content already? I'm just inherently cynical KS projects these days - although if I recall correctly these guys have a decent track record in the industry.

I think what I meant by linear is just scripted. I don't care if you have 1000 different endings. I want a truly dynamical world and sandbox, if that makes sense. You make the story, not them. But I recognise this is one of my peculiarities in taste, and that most people really like a crafted storyline, even if they have to replay over and over again for different endings...

I'll stop being cynical now though - I promise ;)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This makes me think a bit about the BSG boardgame. My favorite game. Got me into the series.

Characters had unique aspects and had a large effect on gameplay, so there was a really interesting dynamic it created. It's something that draws me to a lot of games, or kills a lot of games for me when characters behave uniformly; not just from a rp or "fluff" standpoint, but mechanically as well.

SS13 had a little bit of that uniqueness.... from the RP side. But mechanically characters all had the same capabilities. Their uniqueness felt like more "fluff"; the roboticist has a cooler beard than the captain.

Crappy allegory:
"Aww shnikey, this is a juicy crust, not a pie! Did they take the berries out to sell to me later? Or did they bake it and then decide it might be better with berries?"

The likelihood of the former approaches 100% when berries are announced separately before the pie is baked. If you know that it was a crust before you open the box(Which you should, if the statement is as simple as "Berries sold separately!"... which is not always the case), it's not deceptive or unethical. However... you get the idea.
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Crappy allegory:
"Aww shnikey, this is a juicy crust, not a pie! Did they take the berries out to sell to me later? Or did they bake it and then decide it might be better with berries?"

The likelihood of the former approaches 100% when berries are announced separately before the pie is baked. If you know that it was a crust before you open the box(Which you should, if the statement is as simple as "Berries sold separately!"... which is not always the case), it's not deceptive or unethical. However... you get the idea.
Meh, I see it as... they are still a company that has bills and wages to pay.  They have to complete the game before the money runs out, so they have to budget both money and time.  If they budget things poorly, they'll have to either release the game as a steam alpha(and we know some people just don't like that), release it half arsed(an even worse deal) or don't finish at all(yea... broken dreams).

After the game releases and they get moolah from sales, they have more of a budget to continue development.  It is a round-about way of saying they have an idea of how they are going about budgeting things already.  As long as they meet the minimum anyways.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 09:45:01 pm by Zangi »

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile

So hey, they released the new trailer (with celebrity voice actor David Bradley of Game of Thrones/Harry Potter fame) and suddenly they had a few days of really solid sales putting them within 100k with 9 whole days left. This is going to get funded!

Rez

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sure hope so.  This project could have sprung from my 'ideal game' idea vault. 

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, it's crossed 500k (525k  :o ) with 4 days left, so this game is a go! Can't express how much I'm looking forward to this one. Their team has done a good job with updates.

Now we just have to figure out how to wait until 2015 :/

Blah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks like they managed to get funded. The game sure does sound very promising. Procedurally generated universe, RPG elements, tactical combat between space ships, tactical combat in boarding operations. Game play emphasizes survival and character building, and characters can die suddenly and permanently. It's a sci-fi blend of many games I loved.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Many tears will be shed for those who were lost and for those who will be lost in the vacuum of space.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4