Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How come I don't like any game?  (Read 2637 times)

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How come I don't like any game?
« on: October 12, 2013, 11:52:58 am »

Everytime I get a new game, I just play it for literally minutes before I quit it, and never play it again. Yesterday, I got Scribblenauts Unmasked: A DC Comics Adventure, and I got bored almost immediately. Another problem is that when I stop playing it completely, I don't delete it. I have about 20 GB of unused games. Is it the game that is bad, or is it me? There must be some game. I just can't find the perfect one.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How come I don't like any game?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 11:59:32 am »

I have a similar issue, I've been spoiled by other games I think are good which makes other pretty good games seem like crap in comparison.

Dunno if that's the exact problem you have but... it's a theory.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 12:07:05 pm »

Maybe you need to spend more time playing. The interesting parts might after the first thirty minutes.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 12:17:04 pm »

Try taking a break from it. Go out and do something else! Or stay in and do something else - watch some Youtube, maybe some Let's Plays, check out some content aggregator sites. Or grab a movie, play some board games, read a book, whatever. Get some exercise. Get some sun. Get out of your rut.

I'm not being mean here, or judgmental. That kind of stuff honestly helps me.

Also, are you getting these games for free? Because I find people tend to value things more if they have to pay for them. I'll get a free game from GOG or something and fiddle with it, but there's no loss if I don't bother really playing it.

Edit: Just realized all my suggestions are introverted - if you're an extrovert (or don't know!) get wit da peoples. I have no idea what kinds of things would be enjoyable for an extrovert. A bar? A party? A renaissance festival? County fair? It's like I'm a 90 year old man trying to figure out what his niece wants for her 8th birthday.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 12:20:58 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Robosaur

• Bay Watcher
  • [POOP:INORGANIC: NUCLEAR_BOMBS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 03:17:52 pm »

TBF Scribblenauts unmasked is a not very good game.
You are a terrible person and the sad truth is deep down you know it.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:16:23 pm »

What else don't you like?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »

Why did you register to post this topic?

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 04:42:44 pm »

Why?

But seriously: have you tried not playing? Maybe you're just bored (of gaming). Take a break, after a few days or years things might seem more tempting again. Or maybe not, maybe you've outgrown videogames.
Don't get games just because, get them because you like them and want to play them. It sounds like you don't feel like playing them, so... don't?

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 04:49:52 pm »

i have seen this pop up on other forums. just ignore this.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 04:51:06 pm »

I've got the same issue with games i'm playing. it started with mmos and then went on to other games.
it might be that i've been spoiled by good games and expect too much

ahappydude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 06:08:08 pm »

Maybe you lost your sparkle? Joy, when i was depressed no game was fun

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 08:25:03 pm »

In case other people have this problem and/or the OP is not fake (as choppy suggested), I'll say this:

I often feel the same way. It's not about being spoiled by good games and finding other ones inferior. It's about losing interest after a while.

My whole problem with games is that they have to be interesting enough to keep my interest for the amount of time I'm playing. If I'm playing an RPG, that RPG has to keep my interest for its full duration on top of being more interesting than any other game I might feel like playing instead. That's not me having high standards, that's me having a problem with wanting to continue playing games. Usually what happens is that I'll dump something like 10-30 hours into a game depending on its genre and if it's actually worth playing. After that, I lose my enthusiasm, even if I think the game is amazing and that I'd recommend it to everyone. I keep the game installed because I know it's a great game and I really should finish that, but my heart's just not in it. Eventually, maybe after a month, I give it another shot to finish or I decide that I'll likely never play it again and uninstall it, hoping that one day in the future I'll look back and go "Yeah! I want to finish that!"

Right now I'm in a lull playing Xenoblade Chronicles, and it is the best-designed RPG I've ever played. It has so much for all sorts of different players. It has depth in places most people wouldn't even look or care. The mechanics are solid. The story is great. It's keeping me in suspense.
Despite that, I recently reinstalled Darksiders II and I'm playing that instead. My enthusiasm just isn't there despite it being such an amazing game. However, unlike Darksiders II, I probably won't take a year (or more) break from it because it's that good. I just don't know when I'll feel like playing it again, especially since my interest in Darksiders II will probably wane soon and I'm pre-empting that by starting up the redownload/reinstall of Assassin's Creed Revelations that I also didn't finish (also in preparation for playing ACIII which I recently got on sale). I'm also eying up SPAZ since I'm on the home stretch to finish that game, but I doubt I'll play it again any day soon.

It's a cycle, and when you're interested in as many different genres as I am and live where there are so few things to do like I do, the cycle is to switch out different games until you beat one, mark it off your list, and go with another game.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Spacefaye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 09:13:52 am »

Why did you register to post this topic?

Why did you register to post whatever you first posted in this site? What kind of question is that? Lol. What do you want me to do? Register and not do anything?

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2013, 09:19:51 am »

As much as I hate to say, but this is just due to the fact that you've been playing games far too much. It's time to actually leave your room and do stuff. Trust me. Been there, done that.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:50 am »

As much as I hate to say, but this is just due to the fact that you've been playing games far too much. It's time to actually leave your room and do stuff. Trust me. Been there, done that.

This. I had much the same problem when I was in college. I played so much video games that it become hard to sit back and enjoy the experience. I become overly analytical, and it started to feel like a job. Taking a break from video games for a while allowed me to come back and enjoy them from a better life perspective.

Another thing that really helped me is that I stopped following gaming news, particularly game journalist previews. Game previews tend to be ridiculous marketing hype machines that set you up for disappointment. It's hard to enjoy a good game for what it is when you were expecting it to be a genre-definer.

I also stopped pre-ordering and buying games on release day, and generally have a 6 month-1 year lag time behind releases (although I recently broke this rule for two indie Kickstarters). While the lower prices is very nice, the real perk is that generally people have seen through the marketing hype of games and you can get honest assessments of them on forums. I call it the "Fable Rule" after watching a ton of reviewers give Fable for the Xbox a 10 out of 10, then coming back a year later and writing about how disappointing and overblown the game was.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT
Pages: [1] 2