Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: saved games and updates  (Read 1509 times)

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
saved games and updates
« on: October 11, 2013, 05:30:22 am »

hi i am new to the forum i was wondering if you have to gen new worlds when an new update comes out. because as a new update coming out soonish (i think :: ) i was trying to decide whether to start a big fort or just fool around with a couple small ones. and i figerd there's no point starting a big one if i get half way through and then the update come out.(the nest update sounds awesome and i don't want to delay playing it while i finish a fort).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 05:37:36 am by dashadowlord »
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: saved games and updates
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 06:27:16 am »

The next update will break compatibility. You can't transfer your worlds. After that there'll be a lot of small releases to fix bugs, they'll most likely be compatible.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 10:02:16 am »

The major releases like the upcoming one (or when the caverns were first released) break save compatibility because there are so many things different, new sites for one.

The smaller bugfix versions shouldn't break save compatibility, but I think Toady One lets us know if a bugfix update breaks save compatibility.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 12:25:58 pm »

occasionally even the small updates offer completely new content. The hauling update/minecarts is a good example for that with the current version. In those cases savegames usually are not compatible
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:13:41 pm »

non-compable just forces the decision: either it is important enough change to start over or it isn't
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:16:07 pm »

I kept playing 34.07 untill all the biggest bugs with minecarts had been fixed  :D
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 03:23:47 pm »

The update probably won'y be out for a while, I wouldn't be too worried about having to start a new world too soon.

dashadowlord

• Bay Watcher
  • this games out to get me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 05:29:35 pm »

The update probably won'y be out for a while, I wouldn't be too worried about having to start a new world too soon.

ohh i guess i can start my big fort then, dose anyone know when to expect the next update.
If life were like DF, Toady's strange mood would have produced an Artifact Game of Awesome that menaces with spikes of code ten years ago.  
But it is not.
Instead, what we have is a single obsessive mason trying to carve Mt. Rushmore.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2013, 05:35:17 pm »

ohh i guess i can start my big fort then, dose anyone know when to expect the next update.

He said a few weeks ago that the main list will be done by or in mid-November, so I would say December at the very earliest if things go smoothly, but next January or February seems more likely.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 02:34:34 am »

another valentines update?