Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64518 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!
« Reply #450 on: November 15, 2013, 03:28:46 pm »

Go Upstairs

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting retarded ideals since 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: November 15, 2013, 05:39:11 pm »

check the chest first,then go upstairs

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: November 15, 2013, 05:52:39 pm »

Take the best available shirt, as we don't have one. Also, see if there's a way to carry a shard of that mirror safely.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: November 15, 2013, 11:51:45 pm »

Take the best available shirt, as we don't have one. Also, see if there's a way to carry a shard of that mirror safely.
+1

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: November 16, 2013, 05:55:13 am »

By preference the shirt should be brown or green, as it would ease our hiding abilities in the woods...

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: November 16, 2013, 02:31:27 pm »

It's probably brown or gray at this point, given how weathered it is.

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: November 17, 2013, 11:34:17 am »

The above is probably true of the clothes.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: November 18, 2013, 12:50:51 pm »

You pick out a faded shirt and take off your fur cloak to put it on, then re-equip the fur cloak. Continued digging through the chest doesn't reveal anything besides more clothes. It looks like the shirt you picked was the best of them.

You head up the creaky stairs into the dusty gloom of the attic. A few wisps of cobwebs hang from the ceiling and up in the corners. You come up into a room at the top of the stairs at the back of the building. Two windows at the back have fragments of shutters on the floor under them. There's an empty weapon rack on the wall. A sturdy-looking door leading east into the next building has been splintered apart, and peering in you see lots of bunks. A normal door to the south has also been broken open, and the room beyond has a large bed and other bedroom furnishings that have been completely destroyed, scattered around the room. It also looks like some things in the room have been burned.

The compound is arranged like this, with descriptions you can tell from the outside, or a more detailed italicized description if you've explored it:

[North, overlooks bridge]

Store          Tall Square Building     Open Space

[West, overlooks cliff]    Stable                    Well                    Entrance Gate    [East, down to road]

Smithy Shed          Lodge              Cottage

[South]

You're in the store, upper floor, back room. There's a door south to a bedroom and a door east to the tall square building.

The area is quiet.

Claire, Charlotte, and Pearl are here. Everyone is completely covered in blood, and Pearl is also caked with black coal dust.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

speedyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: November 18, 2013, 01:06:27 pm »

we might as well leave the compound. looks like the gremlins are not here at all.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: November 18, 2013, 04:29:30 pm »

Nah. They could all be curled up sleeping in one room. Keep looking. Tall square building next.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: November 18, 2013, 05:20:04 pm »

This was either a small military outpost or small villa that supplied either the military or adventurers. Or perhaps after the humans disappeared, one of these nonhuman armies temporarily occupied it but was driven out, as evidenced by the damage.

It would be premature to leave this place until we've had a look in all the buildings. Even if we don't find any more useful objects, there's bound to be clues about the state of things.

"How recent does this damage look to you, compared to the decay?"

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: November 18, 2013, 06:21:52 pm »

(Sorry, I completely forgot about the mirror action above.)

You select a long shard of mirror from the frame and wrap cloth around one end over and over to make a handle. Then you wrap the whole thing up in another shirt so it doesn't cut anything ... accidentally.

"How recent does this damage look to you, compared to the decay?"
Pearl replies, "It's hard to say. Ruins from the Fair era were sometimes held by humans, and sometimes later held by goblins or trolls, who sometimes kept them up. Also sometimes you find ancient ruins from a lot longer ago that are better-quality construction and have outlived even the Fair ruins. I'd say this was Fair era, but some things like the bridge outside and the forge in the smithy seem Ancient."

You continue through the broken sturdy door into the tall square building. The second-story room you're in has a floor level that's a single big step down from the store's second story. The room takes up the whole footprint of the building. Windows at the south and east, and the north (facing outwards from the compound) are long, narrow slits. There are 20 bunks in the room, stacked two high, built to fit around the room's support pillars perfectly (there are notches where the bunks would fit right up against the pillar) but the beds have been moved all over the place. The bedding has been torn apart.

Very narrow stairs lead up and down, and there's the door you came through to the west back into the shop's second floor.

There's a tall black metal cabinet with a single large door, 1' deep, 3' wide, 6' tall. It looks very sturdy and it's been battered and thrown down onto the ground in the middle of the room. There's no rust but it looks dirty and old. There is a lock built into the front with two keyholes side by side.

The compound is arranged like this, with descriptions you can tell from the outside, or a more detailed italicized description if you've explored it:

Store             Guard Tower           Open Space

[West, overlooks cliff]    Stable                    Well                    Entrance Gate    [East, down to road]

[South]

You're in the guard tower, upper floor. There's a door to the west back to the shop, and narrow stairs up and down.

The area is quiet.

Claire, Charlotte, and Pearl are here. Everyone is completely covered in blood, and Pearl is also caked with black coal dust.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: November 18, 2013, 06:40:17 pm »

A box like that must be meant to hold something worth protecting. Is it unlocked?

(Pearl should probably wipe off with any rags that happen to be lying around. Being covered in coal dust is a dangerous thing. But perhaps we could also use bloody-coal-dust-paste for something)

I am quite convinced that this is in face the remnants of a small military fort or outpost. I have some guesses:

-This was likely built by humans, the wooden structures atop an extant, older stone foundation. This building is clearly some kind of barracks, and the box is a safe, perhaps the regimental cashbox, or just a strongbox for keeping things safe within the fort.
-The damage is very interesting, and presents three possibilities: this place was occupied by goblins, and the damage came during a raid; there was some kind of attack here while the fair was going on, perhaps someone trying to get into the box (or something escaping from it); or perhaps there were soldiers still posted here during the fair, and they encountered some trouble that forced them to abandon this place.
-If goblins occupied this site, they probably would have melted the hopelessly rusted tools for scrap. So, these tools could be goblin-made. If not, then either the original inhabitants left for the fair or held out here for a while afterwards.

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: November 18, 2013, 07:56:39 pm »

A box like that must be meant to hold something worth protecting. Is it unlocked?

(Pearl should probably wipe off with any rags that happen to be lying around. Being covered in coal dust is a dangerous thing. But perhaps we could also use bloody-coal-dust-paste for something)

+1, if it is locked see what Peral can do with her lockpick? Probably won't work but no harm in getting her to take a look.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: November 18, 2013, 08:31:16 pm »

You turn to Pearl and she's already taking out her lockpicks.

Several minutes later there's a click. Pearl is wide-eyed, poised over the lock, straddling the fallen cabinet. She's holding several lockpicks into one of the keyholes, pressing various tumblers and secret catches. She relaxes, pulls out the lockpicks to start on the next one - CLUNK! She leaps off the cabinet and backs away. But nothing further happens. She comes back to it, investigates further, and sighs.

"This lock needs both keys to turn at once. I can pick one lock, but not both at the same time. And it's complicated in there ... I can't just jam it open after I've picked it. We need to find at least one key, or another safecracker using another set of picks so we can work at the same time. Of course, two safecrackers trying to share space will make it harder for both of us."

She continues, "I think I'll know what the key looks like if we find it. It's hard to describe. And I've never been good at drawing."

Pearl wipes the sweat from her brow, leaving a smeared place where there's no blood or soot. The other two girls have tried to clean up with the scraps of bedding but there's not much hope until you find enough water to bathe in.

Store             Guard Tower           Open Space

[South]

You're in the guard tower, upper floor. There's a door to the west back to the shop, and narrow stairs up and down.

The area is quiet.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 48