Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48

Author Topic: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!  (Read 64557 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: Treebanned: Gremlin-Hunting!
« Reply #360 on: November 04, 2013, 05:55:48 pm »

Claire backs up to the right side of the tunnel, away from the road and glowing side tunnel, and crouches ready to fire. Charlotte and Pearl back up and press against the lefthand wall of the riverbed, just below the road, upriver from the glowing side tunnel.

You holler and throw some rocks to get the attention of whatever is in there. The glow becomes brighter, and a gout of smoke erupts from the side tunnel and an orange and yellow glowing lizard slithers out onto the road. It surveys you and Claire with a sweep of its head, nostrils flaring. Molten liquid drips from its jaws and sizzles on the ground.

Claire is on the north side of the riverbed. Charlotte and Pearl are pressed against the south side of the riverbed. You're in the middle of the riverbed. Above you all, on the road on the south side, is the fiery lizard.

Spoiler: Inventory: 17/20 (click to show/hide)

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: November 04, 2013, 06:08:05 pm »

Oh dear that's not very good. I don't really want to fight this thing if we can help it.

Attempt to make contact, we don't yet know if it's intelligent. Offer up the engraved golden ring as tribute, maybe it likes treasure? Remain prepared to fight with our spear, but don't look aggressive.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:10:41 pm by LegendaryWoodBurner »

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: November 04, 2013, 06:16:40 pm »

Ah! Salamander!

Uh, throw it the lame torch and try to run by while the salamander burns it? It'll probably combust our spear if we try to stab it, and 'molten liquid' makes me think it might even melt our knife. Melee seems to be a bad idea. Claire's got a bow, so she's the best choice to fight if it comes to that. Hopefully the salamander can't spit that stuff or breathe fire.

Other possibilities: Have Pearl cast Pyrotechnics and fill the tunnel with smoke. With lack of oxygen, it might put the critter's fire out.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

LegendaryWoodBurner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: November 04, 2013, 06:20:44 pm »

Ah! Salamander!

Uh, throw it the lame torch and try to run by while the salamander burns it? It'll probably combust our spear if we try to stab it, and 'molten liquid' makes me think it might even melt our knife. Melee seems to be a bad idea. Claire's got a bow, so she's the best choice to fight if it comes to that. Hopefully the salamander can't spit that stuff or breathe fire.

Other possibilities: Have Pearl cast Pyrotechnics and fill the tunnel with smoke. With lack of oxygen, it might put the critter's fire out.

That's a good idea if it's a salamander. Certain legends of the salamander say it feeds off of fire so offering our torch (or anything else flammable) might work if our attempts at making contact fail. Then again salamander legends are pretty widely varied throughout the world, and there's no telling what version of the creature this is. Can't hurt to try.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: November 04, 2013, 08:38:12 pm »

+1 for appeasement by fire. Failing that, best to rely on Claire's bow. This thing would probably destroy our weapons.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: November 04, 2013, 08:47:19 pm »

+1 to Fire Offering

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: November 05, 2013, 02:22:25 pm »

You throw your lit torch to appease or distract the salamander. It ignores the torch and tastes the air with its molten tongue.

Claire fires, her arrow plunging into the salamander's open mouth! A jet of hot blood sprays out of its jaws as it writhes, shaking its head - but it's still in this fight.

Charlotte throws her knife, sinking it into the creature's hide.

Pearl switches weapons - puts away her dagger and pulls out her spellbook.

The salamander breathes in and hisses a fountain of flames over your head at Claire. It envelopes her and in the smoke and ash you see her silently screaming.

>
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: November 05, 2013, 02:24:53 pm »

Go for the spear. Kill the bastard.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: November 05, 2013, 02:25:20 pm »

Well shit. Push Claire in the water maybe?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: November 05, 2013, 02:38:13 pm »

(The riverbed is dry. The only liquids you have are the jug of hard cider, the bottle full of unknown liquid, and the 1-gallon bota bag of water carried by each woman.)
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: November 05, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »

Throw fur cloak over Claire! Have her drop and roll, and the combination should put her fire out quickly!

Once we've done that, throw our dagger at the salamander (Charlotte's knife seems to be okay) and follow that up by trying to smash its skull in with thrown rocks.
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: November 05, 2013, 05:55:35 pm »

Throw fur cloak over Claire! Have her drop and roll, and the combination should put her fire out quickly!

Once we've done that, throw our dagger at the salamander (Charlotte's knife seems to be okay) and follow that up by trying to smash its skull in with thrown rocks.
+1.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: November 05, 2013, 06:57:30 pm »

You turn to help Claire, but the salamander strikes first, leaping upon you. You catch the jump out of the corner of your eye and dive forward, avoiding completely.

Pearl casts Pyrotechnics, extinguishing Claire's burning body and also snuffing out the salamander's internal furnace, the stolen fires powering the spell. The creature squeaks loudly in panic as its glow diminishes to a dull red. The spell completes, and lightning arcing from Pearl's hand scorches a patch of gravel near the creature. The salamander is no longer dripping molten stuff and its blood isn't boiling when it comes out.

Charlotte lunges forward with her short sword but the salamander's quick movements don't give her a good opening.

With Claire completely put out, there's no need for you to help her. You spin around and thrust upward with the flimsy goblin spear again and again but each time the salamander's head darts to the side.

(It might not have been clear that you had to choose between attacking with the spear which was in hand, and drawing the dagger. Hopefully Charlotte's turns make it clearer how it works. She had a throwing weapon in one hand and a melee weapon in the other, so she could throw in one turn and then step up and attack in the next. I figured you would rather attack with whatever, rather than spending a turn switching weapons.)

>
« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 07:06:39 pm by LeoLeonardoIII »
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Cain12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 05, 2013, 09:10:25 pm »

Guess we should use the spear and distract it so Charlotte can get a good hit in, was funny that we tried diplomacy first on the big fire lizard.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 06, 2013, 03:30:26 am »

Maybe poke around with the spear with one hand while playing a distracting tune about a loser salamander on the ocarina with the other.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 48