Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bright green flashing C  (Read 2385 times)

DavidC111

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bright green flashing C
« on: October 10, 2013, 06:50:01 pm »

My first fortress died due to dehydration in the first winter. I didn't really fight it at that point so it was more like an abdication but it was interesting to watch them tantrum as they buried eachother, I guess. I missed my caravan that year so I didn't get to buy drinks. How would you guys face thirsty dwarves and frozen water? (I know water won't keep them, but still curious).

---

Second fortress I tunneled into a cavern. I'd like to seal it up temporarily, so I built a floor where one of my down staircases used to be carved into the floor (channeled it out). I currently have a bright green flashing C on the 2x1x1 area where my dual stairs are... one on top of the floor I recently built, and one on top of an up-staircase that had been carved into that level...

What is the green C that's flashing? Does it mean that I've scheduled it to channel or something? How should I seal this off? I'd like to destroy my down built stuff and the build floors and then build staircases through them with masonry but I'm not sure...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 06:59:57 pm by DavidC111 »

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bright green flashing C
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:05:12 pm »

I missed my caravan that year so I didn't get to buy drinks.

You DO know you can brew your own drinks, right? All you need is a barrel/large pot, plant, and a Still workshop.

What is the green C that's flashing? Does it mean that I've scheduled it to channel or something? How should I seal this off? I'd like to destroy my down built stuff and the build floors and then build staircases through them with masonry but I'm not sure...

You can look at stuff with 'k'. Also the character for a designated channel is an underscore ( _ ), not a flashing green C. It's probably a forgotten beast.

DavidC111

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 07:18:38 pm »

(re: making drinks) Yeah, I think I was cooking with it, or my farms didn't quite work or something... I don't know, that's not the main issue, I'm just curious if there's a way of pulling out of it though, heating ice to make water, etc. fwiw the same problem applies if someone gets injured during the winter. I need to secure a water source that doesn't freeze and hopefully isn't in a cavern! :)

---

You can look at stuff with 'k'. Also the character for a designated channel is an underscore ( _ ), not a flashing green C. It's probably a forgotten beast.

When I use 'k' to look at it, it isn't there. I'm pretty sure it's trying to tell me something about the status of the block rather than about what's there. It flashes between the + floor symbol or < upstairs symbol and the green C with a green background. I've looked in the status article in the wiki and because it's not status about a dwarf it's not listed there.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 07:30:13 pm »

Probably a construction. If you press [d] [n], constructions will flash so you know what's constructed and what's terrain.

Dwarves will stay alive on water, though they'll start slowing down a lot after about six months. Cavern water will do fine -- you can build a well above the cavern, and designate a pond zone nearby to act as a backup water supply in case of flying nasties. If you have water above ground that unfreezes at all, you can run it down from the surface to somewhere more convenient.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 02:34:46 am »

by the time 'fun' arrives or if I have alcohol shortage (never happened yet though), I divert a bit of surface water to an underground resevoir. You can make that as eleborate as you want, but the main thing is that as soon as it is underground it won't freeze anymore
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:07:29 am »

Dig to the first cavern, and isolate a portion with walls (build several level of walls to the top of the cavern, or flying creatures will pass and you will have unexpected !!FUN!!). Then, you can do anything you want with culture and it never freezes here.

About water you can  build a well in a special room with raising bridges instead of door near your meeting room (but not inside) and not far from your hospital. If you don't want to build something too complex, just do this.  If you see a FB coming which can fly, just pull the lever until you are ready to fight it. Anyway, most of them will just swim and float in the underground lake.
Yes, they all float down here.