Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Possible to limit starting dwarves and migrant numbers?  (Read 1557 times)

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
Re: Possible to limit starting dwarves and migrant numbers?
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2013, 02:46:52 pm »

Ah ok, what i will probably do is use the pop cap for a while then turn it back off.

I want to build a decent fort with enough rooms and etc for at least 150 people.  I want to use under 20 people for a few hours to try and build everything before removing pop cap.

Every other time ive played without pop caps i get close to 100 people and mayhem breaks out, either though attacks to tantrums.  Is it possible to have enough jobs for everyone or do you always end up with lots people standing around doing nothing once the pop number rises?

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2013, 03:58:11 pm »

I still consider myself something of a beginner but perhaps one solution to your problem is drafting most idlers into military. Of course - haulers are still useful so having dozen jobless dwarves or three can be a good thing.

I suppose you could make an entirely dwarf-powered pump stack if you feel you have too many dwarves on your hands. :D
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2013, 07:01:14 pm »

20% to 40% idlers is normal for one of my forts with about 100 dwarfs. A lot of those are haulers or dwarfs with labors I need only now and then, like architecture. Some are 'doubles' and switch their idle time with another dwarf with the same jobs (bone crafters for bolts and cooks for example). Most are on standby for rush work. Masonry that needs to be done fast or butchering after a big siege plus associated cleanup. The problem is mostly that the 60 to 80 dwarfs that form my core workforce don't need expanding for a long, long time. Maybe around 250 dwarfs I need a few extra food, clothing and booze related workers, but that is pretty much what is needed for running the fortress. The rest is either idle or in the militia. Since I dislike female soldiers going berserk on their teammates because their nearly adult child followed them out while fighting the siege, most of the militia is males or unmarried women. The others outside my core group are idle. Or militia.

In short, 30 idlers in a 100 strong fort is nothing to worry about. Focus on running the fort instead of trying to find work for all of them. The worst that can happen is that you find work for everyone and run out of haulers, causing the whole fort to stagnate.
If this was a bit vague, my excuse is that I'm sleepy
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

TheSlimeGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 05:56:02 am »

If you embark when the world is in the Age of Death you will not get any immigrants.  Or attacks.  Or caravans.

Which is why I want to generate one!
"Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given."
Pages: 1 [2]