Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219321 times)

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

Also, the veteran heroes are supposed to be useful because they give a 30% xp bonus to other heroes. So... in theory you could use them as companion mentors to other prospective heroes...

...Does that mean i can take those guys on level one miss-actually let me try that. Welp no i can't i don't need a 30% bonus xp for my level five guys...by that point most of the grinding is done. If i could take the level sixes to low level missions though, that would make them very useful

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Say you have 2 rounds left in a blight. If you land another round, that blights damage adds to the new blight, but the timer goes to 3 rounds.
Yeah, the timer displays the longest duration of all the active effects. I am almost certain, though, that both Blight and Bleed expire after 3 rounds, so that in that example you'd have stacked Blight damage for 2 rounds, at which point the first would expire and only the latest would apply. Otherwise you could stack it indefinitely, and that's definitely not what happens. In boss battles, it tops out after 3 rounds and further applications just keep you level. I suppose I don't need to specify boss battles, but nothing else lives long enough.

And the Wiki agrees that the two are mechanically identical, so if I'm wrong on this that probably needs to be changed.

...Does that mean i can take those guys on level one miss-actually let me try that. Welp no i can't i don't need a 30% bonus xp for my level five guys...by that point most of the grinding is done. If i could take the level sixes to low level missions though, that would make them very useful
The idea is that you'll take low-level heroes on missions that are too hard for them. The 30% XP bonus pays off a lot in this case. IIRC, a level 0 will jump straight to level 2 after one mission. It's extremely risky, though, and in no way makes up for the inconvenience of needing to train up new guys in the first place.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The biggest difference is that Blight at max is 4-5 damage per stack for 3 stacks for a max of 12-15, and Bleed is 3-4 damage per stack for 3 stacks for a max of 9-12. Damage on Bleed goes down every turn as does Blight but Blight still ends up doing more damage over the same period than Bleed does, whether it runs out or is reapplied. So when you compare the Jester Bleed to the Plague Doctor Blight, the damage difference is pretty substantial.

And it just seems more stuff is resistant to Bleed than to Blight.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 12:17:51 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

Bleed attacks tend to have more direct damage so in the end they did similar hits. The jester does an initial hit then cause the bleed, the plague doctor usual hit for 1 or 2 with her grenade.

However, if you use DOT to bypass PROT, then blight wins.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

8 heroes @ l6, and the graveyard is empty. I need to grind a bit more before I start the DD runs. Perhaps I can complete the game with 0 casualties. What is the optimal setup for DD btw? [If there is one, heh...] 2 lepers/x/x could work?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 10:50:02 am by gimli »

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

@ blight / bleed discussion

I find the biggest deciding factor for which dot I use depends on where my next mission is. For example, the fishdudes in cove and the undead skeletons in ruins tend to have low blight resist and higher bleed resist. While pigdudes in the warrens and various beasts in the weald have a low bleed resist and high blight resist.

Haven't been in the DD yet, so I have no idea what it's like there.  :P
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Haven't been in the DD yet, so I have no idea what it's like there.  :P
Terrible. Thats about the best summary that comes to mind.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's also, but not limited to: feculent.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile

Perhaps I can complete the game with 0 casualties.

Getaloadofthisguysmuganimeface.gif

Just don't forget those talismans of flame.

If you want a tiny bit of help: Don't bother bringing shovels and keys, load up on bandages, food, and torches, blight isn't as big an issue as bleed here. Stress however, is pretty big.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 01:15:41 pm by Blaze »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Each DD mission has somewhat different requirements. Just a heads up, under no circumstances bring Lepers and Arbalests to the first one. You'll see why. Bleed is most important for the first one, both are relevant in the second, blight is most important in the third, and I didn't bother finishing the third because fuck that noise I'm done with this fucking game.

also i guarantee that DOTs don't decrease over time - if you're seeing that, it's because stacked effects are expiring one turn at a time

EDIT: Also, yes, Stress is a huge fucking deal.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile

i mostly resolved the stress issue by having found the ancestors tentacle idol which gives +35 Virtue chances, that coupled with +15% virtue ring, stacked onto the guy without the flame idols made it rather easy to handle stress...once one got to either virtue or affliction i exchanged the flame idols with the virtue stuff, so that everyone got a +50% chance of not becoming afflicted.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Perhaps I can complete the game with 0 casualties.

Getaloadofthisguysmuganimeface.gif

Just don't forget those talismans of flame.

If you want a tiny bit of help: Don't bother bringing shovels and keys, load up on bandages, food, and torches, blight isn't as big an issue as bleed here. Stress however, is pretty big.

Wut?

On a Medium dungeon I've had no less than 4 Collapsed Walls before. 4. It averages 2. That's ~20 Stress and -20% life per you don't need to lose. Yeah, you can often avoid collapsed walls at the cost of additional torches and fights by finding an alternate path. I've just as often though gotten a medium or even a short that is just one long path where you can't avoid anything. If you do the math, the cost of a shovel is way, way less than the stress each guy picks up for digging through walls. Seems like a no-brainier to bring at least two shovels.

I always bring at least 1 key for the secret room. Usually 2 because there's always at least one locked curio in the dungeon.

I generally bring enough supplies to hit each curio at least once. I don't even bother bringing them for bandaging/curing because it just doesn't seem that necessary with good heals. Only in Champion dungeons have I felt the blight/bleed is threatening enough it warrants an out of combat bandage/cure, and that's only if combat will end before I can get another heal off.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2016, 02:45:01 pm by nenjin »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

@nenjin
In the DD, there are no curios, no collapsed walls, nothing. A game's final challenge is supposed to be an exam on everything the player has learned so far, bringing together all the elements of gameplay for a memorable climax. So apparently traps, curios, loot, procedurally-generated dungeons, and character growth were totally peripheral to the experience, and the REAL game was just losing a lot in battles because the RNG is an asshole.

I shouldn't be this surprised. Or, for that matter, this salty.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

@nenjin
In the DD, there are no curios, no collapsed walls, nothing. A game's final challenge is supposed to be an exam on everything the player has learned so far, bringing together all the elements of gameplay for a memorable climax. So apparently traps, curios, loot, procedurally-generated dungeons, and character growth were totally peripheral to the experience, and the REAL game was just losing a lot in battles because the RNG is an asshole.

I shouldn't be this surprised. Or, for that matter, this salty.

Oh I didn't realize that post was in reference just to the DD.

And yeah, I'm salty about it too. For all the hype of the DD, it doesn't deliver the way the rest of the game does. We didn't expect the biggest dungeon to not include half the shit that makes the other dungeons tick.

It's like, imagine if the final dungeon of FF6 was just a long corridor punctuated by a boss fight, and not the epic climb up Kefka's mountain of insanity. DD already has a problem with the dungeon seeming less like an environment and more like a series of tiles randomly stitched together. The DD just doubles down on that problem, despite all the wonderful aesthetics that support it.

Honestly, I expected running around the DD going crazy to be the equivalent of the game's NG+. Not this "I won't go back there" stuff, no matter how much sense it makes thematically.

Simon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, and BTW, I've found a way how to game the game (in a way), if anyone is interested in getting back at the RNG. I'm sure it's been posted before, yet, strangely, I've seen no reference to it. It's not actually THAT useful, it's kinda annoying to execute, yet I still consider it cheating. It somehow takes a big part of the frustration out of the game, but that's part of the fun, isn't it? Ye be warned, traveler, who seeketh wisdom 'ere.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 101