Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219222 times)

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yah, i have like 300 of everything.... And 5 deeds. Doesnt help that you need deeds for pretty much everything upgrade-wise.
Especially since the blacksmith is so important, but the wagon even more so.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

I have fully upgraded all stress builings.... And i havent even started a hard mission yet.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have fully upgraded all stress builings.... And i havent even started a hard mission yet.
By 'hard', do you mean 'veteran', or 'champion'? Because I don't find an upgraded hamlet even that useful until I start doing veteran missions with a few healthy lvl 3s. I treat lvl 1s as glorified lvl 0s and don't even bother to destress them (instead opting to release them from service if they are too stressed to save money) unless they happen to be someone worth keeping at all costs, like Vestals or Occultists. I try not to dish out hamlet services until the character is lvl 2 or very close to it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Stress buildings are easy. Their values are low compared to what the Blacksmith wants, and you don't even need them maxed to deal with Level 0 - 4 Stress.

And yeah, traditionally you always maxed out the Wagon before the Blacksmith. Now.....I'm wondering if that's really wise.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 01:36:38 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Dude, yah, its wise. The first like 30 weeks is all about disposing your heroes when they get to annoying, unless they have been deemed worthy by RNGesus by Criting so much you feel attached.
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

This thread has taught me that I play this game very weirdly. I maxed the Blacksmith before I dumped more than cursory investment into the wagon, because I tend to focus on a small number of heroes at a time. When a party got killed off, I'd just recruit a new one, making do with whatever the wagon gave me and I had leftover. Until the endgame, my roster was never even full.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

This thread has taught me that I play this game very weirdly. I maxed the Blacksmith before I dumped more than cursory investment into the wagon, because I tend to focus on a small number of heroes at a time. When a party got killed off, I'd just recruit a new one, making do with whatever the wagon gave me and I had leftover. Until the endgame, my roster was never even full.
Neat.

I tended to just throw parties together based on who I had available that week and who worked well together. Certain teams would come together over time but I was always keeping a full roster.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

That's hardly the most optimal way to go about it. Ideally you want to have a full roster so that you can tailor each party for the run you're doing, since different areas and different kinds of runs require different folks to be doable with as little issue as possible.

Also just beat my first veteran boss, did the necromancer, wasn't really too difficult since I stacked stuns and blight and kept shuffling him all over the place with my occultist so the most he did was stress out some of my guys and that was it. And with that, I got my first level 5 dude, the occultist, which doesn't mean much atm since I can't really afford either the guild or the blacksmith upgrades to give him the top tier stuff or skills. I think my big issue right now are portraits, mostly because I fucking hate going into the warrens :V
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's hardly the most optimal way to go about it. Ideally you want to have a full roster so that you can tailor each party for the run you're doing, since different areas and different kinds of runs require different folks to be doable with as little issue as possible.

Also just beat my first veteran boss, did the necromancer, wasn't really too difficult since I stacked stuns and blight and kept shuffling him all over the place with my occultist so the most he did was stress out some of my guys and that was it. And with that, I got my first level 5 dude, the occultist, which doesn't mean much atm since I can't really afford either the guild or the blacksmith upgrades to give him the top tier stuff or skills. I think my big issue right now are portraits, mostly because I fucking hate going into the warrens :V
You forgot that he was useless anyways, because lvl 5s will only accept Champion dungeons like the masochists they are.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I've actually found that tailoring is less important than you might expect. If you've got a party that covers all its bases (that is, you can target any enemy rank with a high-powered attack, manage health, and set your choice of a couple of useful status effects), and you stock well on torches, food, and shovels, you don't need much strategy, just fight-to-fight tactics and some cute synergies. The main exception is Champion boss runs, which can be so highly-specialized that a party of generalists gets picked apart. I'm mostly thinking of the Swine God, the Hag Witch, the Brigand 16 Pounder, and the Beguiling Siren, who need particular strategies to mitigate damage output or function in spite of constant formation disruption. The Shambler and Collector do require particular parties, but those parties happen to have exactly the attributes I want in a generalist party. The Darkest Dungeon itself seems to require tailoring, though.

Focusing on a few heroes at once also tends to mean that the roster is highly unbalanced, which is good as it means you've still got low-level folks on hand when they're necessary to refill your coffers after a disaster, and you're not spending tons of gold keeping them upgraded since they only do runs occasionally.

I did do most of my build-up prior to release, though, so perhaps it is different now.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The [very] limited inventory space annoys the sh*t outta me...last run: the party's inventory was full after visiting 6 rooms in a long dungeon.  ::)
I need a bag of holding!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Yeah, that's one of those immersion-breaking 'gamey' things in DD I don't like. You can carry in this slot ONE type of item. Oh, you want to carry that Ruby that's probably the size of a thumbnail? Sorry, you'll have to drop that Emerald you were carrying. Sure, you could carry a few more Emeralds with it, but not a Ruby! That would be sacrilege! And obviously a stack of 8 shovels takes up as much space as 8 small gems, why wouldn't they?

My biggest complaint with this game since beta has been that it's biggest draw is the immersion and atmosphere, which they shatter at every opportunity to enforce 'hard choices' and limit what the player can do.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I found this picture, and i do believe it sums up my love for the bounty hunter
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hes just staring at you like "When i crit and save us all, and we get out of this, you better freaking put me in the tavern for the next 3 weeks."
« Last Edit: February 11, 2016, 12:52:04 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Tried an "unusual" party build against the wizened hag today. An occultist in back, two jesters in the middle, and a man-at-arms at the front. The jesters stacked bleed on enemies in the middle, man-at-arms used riposte and also hit enemies in the front, and cultist debuffed enemies, attacked the back lines with eldritch artillery, or healed.

Worked really well, actually. Only complaint I'd have is that the jesters couldn't do much when there was only one enemy in front. Could probably fix that by giving them dirk stab instead of battle ballad.

Spoiler: hag fight (click to show/hide)

Jesters deal some pretty decent damage, I'd say. I think their bleed attacks were buffed at some point, since now they start with dealing 3 damage and 2 damage per round at lvl 1. I was just using them as a support class before now.

Also occultist is awesome. Crazy good healing skill, good utility and pretty good back line damage. The first time I used wyrd construction it critted for 24 health.

All in all that was a better party build than I expected. Occultist kept everyone healed up, jesters kept stress down, killing speed wasn't bad at all, good range of targets. Man-at-arms' riposte worked pretty good at tanking and dealing damage in tandem with occultist's heal skill.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*Snip*

I would've put an abomination in 2nd row (heck I think I've ran that exact comp vs the Hag). You kinda said it yourself, you got lucky with the Hags pull. If she put your man at arms in the pot you would've been in trouble. Though I guess you could've moved the occultist to the front in that situation.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 101