Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219243 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

The final dungeon is in, man, that happened yesterday. Unless there's something I'm missing. There's still the Merchant class to be added, though.
Aaaaaw snaaaaaap I didn't hear about that. I'll have to try it soon.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Started a new game since it's released.  Does the game feel a lot easier to anybody else?  I haven't played since before the Abomination release.

I've got two saved games right now, one is in week 54 and I've almost got a team of level 3s put together to start on the next tier of adventures.

My newest game that I started after release I'm at like week 20, I have five level 3s and I'm just waiting for the newest ones to recover, and I've only had five deaths so far, three of them on one mission.

Is the gamea  lot easier now, or have I just incorporated all the lessons I learned from playing before?
Shoes...

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile

Started a new game since it's released.  Does the game feel a lot easier to anybody else?  I haven't played since before the Abomination release.

I've got two saved games right now, one is in week 54 and I've almost got a team of level 3s put together to start on the next tier of adventures.

My newest game that I started after release I'm at like week 20, I have five level 3s and I'm just waiting for the newest ones to recover, and I've only had five deaths so far, three of them on one mission.

Is the gamea  lot easier now, or have I just incorporated all the lessons I learned from playing before?

I'm in the same position. I last played before corpses went in, and I heard about how much harder corpses made things, so I came into the release expecting to get beat up, but I haven't had a total party kill.
Granted, I went to go take on the Hag with a party of level 3s, and they got their butts handed to them (complete with one fatality) by an %adjective% giant in only their second battle, so it could just be that the difficulty curve is shaped differently now.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I'm thinking that's probably the case.

Plus the Darkest Dungeon is in now and I'm sure it's hell.  I've actually never reached the second dungeon tier, so I'll be going in that completely blind.

EDIT:  Just killed a shambler.  Game definitely feels easier.  I'm hoping they just tilted the difficulty curve.

Also I haven't had much trouble with corpses.  There's lots of ways to clear them and as often as they hinder me they help me out by keeping enemies in the back ranks where I want them.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 03:57:01 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

Also I haven't had much trouble with corpses.  There's lots of ways to clear them and as often as they hinder me they help me out by keeping enemies in the back ranks where I want them.

Maybe they balanced, or maybe it's just people being averse to change, but I started playing it after corpses were in and have the same opinion. There's quite a few skills that remove them, the skills that move enemies around also help, and often having a corpse there can actually help when high-hitters are forced into the back and stay there.

The game does seem generally a bit easier. I think there were fewer negative traits, and perhaps more gold? Vestal's single-heal ability was buffed too, I think. It still feels like a hard experience (I've had to not complete missions a few times), but without being constantly terrible and leaving you feeling like there's no chance.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 11:45:53 pm by Anvilfolk »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I do kind of feel like there's more gold.  I've only done two suicide dark runs and neither were really in a position where I felt like I /had/ to do them, I just wanted to clear our my roster.

I dunno, we'll see what it looks like when I do my first tier 2 mission, which might be now actually.  My new level 3s should be ready to go.

It might also be that I'm just accustomed to the crazy difficulty of the original.  On release it was basically a less clever Tomb of Horrors, where every option is equally bad.  It's steadily lightened up and now I kind of feel like it's too easy.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 05:42:24 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Frankly Tier 2 dungeons are where my "game's totally manageable now" illusions break down.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Good.  I'll be doing my first right after this dark run.
Shoes...

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Frankly Tier 2 dungeons are where my "game's totally manageable now" illusions break down.
My experience has been

Tier 1: Pretty straightforward, no real risks here unless you're asking for them
Tier 2: Challenging, but still little risk once you figure out a strategy and the local obstacles that might foul it up
Tier 3: Very difficult, always risky without cheese (and all single-player games should have cheese, this is a philosophy which I hold dear)
Darkest Dungeon: Fuck me for thinking I was prepared for this

Inhuman Bondage made it a lot worse for me because it skewed toward the excessive difficulty bit, but updates since have improved the game a lot for me and made it fall closer to the above progression. I think that's actually the ideal way to go, not for any great love of ease, but for a love of having options to deal with catastrophe. Better to let me make the most of a bad situation than force me to tolerate it because there's nothing I can do.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

yah, I think that the devs went a wee bit Overkill with the final level.  While i respect the fact that they are punishing people for not focusing, i think that at least you should have like a 1/4 success rate for each mission. Also, Templars.... just.... Templars.....

(Anyone find that this fan base is curiously similar to Bondage Sex? The devs make things increasingly difficult and brutal, and we just writhe in nerd-ectasy yelling "more, MORE!". We appear to have some sort of extreme lust for punishment)
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Doing my first tier 2 quest.  Pretty easy, just a slightly ramped up version of tier 1.  More monsters carry protection which is an issue, I'll probably want to bring more dots.  Overall a little underwhe-- what the fuck is that
Shoes...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Yeah, I was happily plodding along on my first T2 run until the swinefolk wisened up and decided to focus my Vestal for several battles. Heck I even had to camp to heal her and remove her deaths door with my Crusader. Only, they continued focusing her, finally killing her two fights afer I camped and got her to reasonable HP levels. So I kinda had to abort because fuck that shit I'm not losing any more of my very few veteran folks.

And now I also need to level up another Vestal, fucks sake.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Yeah, I think the time and gold investment is where the real difficulty of higher-tier missions is hiding.  I also dropped out of my first t2 after losing my bounty hunter.  0 and 1 are fodder.  Unless they're a class I really want (Arbalests seem especially rare) I'll throw them away for pretty much any defect.

Level 2 I'm a little warier about and level 3 is just not really worth losing.
Shoes...

Yolan

• Bay Watcher
  • There's no such thing as too greedy or too deep!
    • View Profile

Something I'm not too happy about right now is that I have this weird situation due to level restrictions. I have a whole bunch of level 3 decent characters who suddenly aren't permitted to go on level 1 quests anymore, but get hammered really badly on level 3 quests. I have a decent roster of 11 characters, most of them are level 3, but everybody is slowly falling apart from the stress while before I was kicking ass.

The way to proceed is obviously to get a bunch of fresh blood in and use them to make money to heal up my higher tier guys I guess. But that feels stupid. It's kind of so annoying I'm thinking of just quitting DD and forgetting about the whole thing, even though I like the game overall. I just don't want to have to game their system in order to proceed.
I'm making a game called "Innkeep!", where you run an inn set in a low-fantasy world and try to lighten your guests pockets. Forum topic here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

11 is really low honestly.  My roster is almost completely full, with maybe five or six level 3s.  You're gonna need a constant influx of level 3s for the attrition, just like you need a constant flow of level 0s for the attrition of level 1 games.

I think the low levels are always gonna be your main money-makers just for the simple fact that they're disposable.  I don't see that as gaming the system.  This is a game about hard choices and very vicious calculations.  Look at all those bodies in the warrens.  This thing has already killed thousands and thousands of people, a few dozen miscreants who volunteered for the job is a small price to pay to undo it.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57 58 ... 101