Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219278 times)

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Corpses have been optional for a while now IIRC, but I'm glad to hear that the death's door debuff's persistence can be turned off. That thing was pretty nasty.
I've been playing default settings and it seems a reasonable design decision.

It makes me want to keep characters healed up and avoid having characters get to death's door in the first place, rather than something kinda exploity like ignoring health and having everyone kept barely out of death's door with a vestal's party heal, which reminds me of Borderlands 2 and "health gating".

It can make fights like the Pounders become unwinnable when everyone's knocked to death's door from one hit *cough cannonballs cough* or a fight with the hag where party members get sucked into the pot whenever possible, but then again the game has a message every time you boot up the game reminding that "Darkest Dungeon is about making the best of a bad situation! :^D"
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

the good part of Deaths Door is how it soaks up all the damage.

Doesnt matter if its 2 damage or 21 crit.  DD is DD, and there is no dying from 1 hit if you arent at deaths door.

But it sounds like they stopped that exploit, so whenever I get back to this.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

I could've sworn I read in a tutorial message that corpses dropped loot at the end of a fight, so clearing a fight without clearing corpses gave more loot, but checking in the in-game glossary and the wiki page on corpses, there's no mention of loot. Only that corpses preserve enemy formation and can be destroyed.

Am I wrong? Should I just destroy corpses or try killing enemies with dots so they leave no corpse so fights are easier?

EDIT: Made a quick save and played until it gave me the tutorial for corpses. No mention of loot. So there's no reason to even have corpses, really. Why play with corpses on at all, then. All it does is make the game harder.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 02:55:28 pm by Spehss _ »
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not neccesarily.
Sometimes you cna use them to your advantage.
For example you have 2 skeleton crossbowmen and 2 cultists.
If you pull the ranged characters in and kill them they will leave a corpse so (A for archer B for brawler and C for corpse) you can go from BBAA to AABB and after killing the archers off get CCBB who cna only use their less effective moves (like stumbling scratch that is there only for the AI to have something to do from every position) while with corpses off you would just have 2 melee characters on the frontline BB--.
Of course things get complicated for you if you have a party lacking control and/or damage against slots 3 and 4.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile

EDIT: Made a quick save and played until it gave me the tutorial for corpses. No mention of loot. So there's no reason to even have corpses, really. Why play with corpses on at all, then. All it does is make the game harder.
Yea.

The response to people concentrating attacks on the front ranks to cripple the back ranks was to add corpses.
The response to people complaining about the enemies holding ranks with corpes was to make them optional.

Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

The response to people concentrating attacks on the front ranks to cripple the back ranks was to add corpses.
The response to people complaining about the enemies holding ranks with corpes was to make them optional.
I do like how they're making some aspects of the game optional. A lot of the game is reliant on rng and rng can be fickle and/or insanely punishing. Adding options adds variability. So for example, a new player who's having a hard time can remove the permanent death's door debuff to help him survive the early game where options are limited and rng is more punishing. Rather than just have a new player bash his head against the hypothetical wall and get frustrated and quit the game altogether because rng gave an awful early game short dungeon with 4 blockages, no successful trap disarms and nothing but fights full of skeleton clerics throwing chalices.

It reminds me of second wave options from Fireaxis' XCOM.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's also helpful because they were catering to the "Everything must be as hard as possible" crowd for a while, which while a good idea at times tends to make it not as accessible for others. At least they've looked into such things, unlike Mordheim lately.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

So, who crapped their pants when they encountered the [Spoiler] COLLECTOR
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

So, who crapped their pants when they encountered the [Spoiler] COLLECTOR
I cleared a level 1 (green) "beat all room fights" mission fairly quickly in the ruins and felt it was safe enough to explore a bit for extra loot. Ran into the COLLECTOR as a random hallway battle. Didn't think it was bad at first.

Several turns later I thought the game had messed up and gave me a boss battle in a hallway. Ran away from the fight and ended the looting early. Seems like an unfair mook to appear randomly in level 1 missions.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

Name one thing about this game that's fair.

Exactly.

I don't know about you, but I play it because it is a cruel mistress. Success, or even non-horrendous failure is a struggle. This is way this game is so DELECTABLE

Edit: that and the narrators voice. Someone needs to release a copy of all his lines so I can fall asleep soothed by his melodious tones.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 08:54:06 pm by LordPorkins »
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Name one thing about this game that's fair.

Free firewood, free heros, good prices for trinket sales, the ability to heal stress with spells,  no permanent downside from wounds, ability to lock positive skills etc?

I like the collector, but I would prefer if he would use actual hero s from your graveyard...

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev

debating whether to get this game or not. The thread here is certainly long enough to show me that folks like it, but I dont really like "hard  for the sake of being hard" games much. For example, I really liked FTL when I first started but after making almost no progress on many attempts, I just burned out. I like to feel some sense of progression and the meta-game ship upgrade thing in FTL wasnt enough for me.

So, will i like this game?
I got nothing

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

debating whether to get this game or not. The thread here is certainly long enough to show me that folks like it, but I dont really like "hard  for the sake of being hard" games much. For example, I really liked FTL when I first started but after making almost no progress on many attempts, I just burned out. I like to feel some sense of progression and the meta-game ship upgrade thing in FTL wasnt enough for me.

So, will i like this game?
I think you'll like this game most of the time, because there is definitely a strong sense of progression as your heroes become more powerful and you cross off goals.

However, I think you will also occasionally be incredibly angry at it, because occasionally it just throws a completely unwinnable situation at you and expects you to deal with it.

Your call if that's worth it.

The most recent update looks really good, though - I'm a huge fan of the part where trying to target an Afflicted character who refuses allows you to do something else with the character instead. That was one of the biggest tantrum spirally mechanics in the game, and one of the ones that felt the least fair about it, because it meant that the correct choice could often fuck you over because the RNG was having a bad day (and I really hate mechanics that punish you for learning how to play the game).

EDIT: To clarify that last part, characters who crack from stress become Afflicted with a psychological problem. If you target such a character with some ability, for instance healing, they may refuse to allow it. It used to be that this would not only prevent you from executing your plan, the character who did the healing or whatever would also lose their turn. Now your plan is just ruined, but you can try and salvage it - which is something I like the game to be encouraging at every opportunity.

Any mechanic that gives you more chances to desperately try to make the best of a bad situation is a good one, but the Moar Challenge crowd tends to encourage mechanics that don't actually give you that because if something goes wrong or you make a mistake, you're fucked no matter what you do. And that's not desperate, that's depressing.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 12:27:01 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

EDIT: To clarify that last part, characters who crack from stress become Afflicted with a psychological problem. If you target such a character with some ability, for instance healing, they may refuse to allow it. It used to be that this would not only prevent you from executing your plan, the character who did the healing or whatever would also lose their turn. Now your plan is just ruined, but you can try and salvage it - which is something I like the game to be encouraging at every opportunity.

Reading the latest patch notes, this was removed. The action fails but you keep the turn for something else.

It's not hard for the sake of being hard, but it's a game where things can turn bad at any moment and losing a character is most often because you wanted to push through with a tired and stressed party than bad luck. I did have bad luck however and I rage quit because of this.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 03:35:50 am by Boltgun »

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Reading the latest patch notes, this was removed. The action fails but you keep the turn for something else.

It's not hard for the sake of being hard, but it's a game where things can turn bad at any moment and losing a character is most often because you wanted to push through with a tired and stressed party than bad luck. I did have bad luck however and I rage quit because of this.
That's because they've toned it down, back around the addition of the corpse update they were constantly increasing for the sake of being hard (Agh maggots and dodging corpses!) And then the heart attack from overstress added at the same time, pretty sure those forums were half in revolt over it at the time.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 101