Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219166 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Ah, that makes more sense. Still, I like loading up folks with either damage or debuff proc trinkets, kills stuff sooner :D

Anyways, had a dark run in the cove, was doing really well, took barely any damage, had some nice loot. Then, on my way to the last room I run into the fucking shambler, my first encounter with the bugger so I have no idea what it does. Party got nearly wiped there and ended up super stressed, think only my Plague doctor survived without stupidly high stress and low hp :C
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing that makes me wonder in all the X-com games, even the original from the 90's, and the Xenonauts, is how weak the aliens actually are, your soldiers are real menace to them each scoring dozens of kills throughout the game.
I would like to see alien game in which it, statistically, takes several of your men to actually kill a single alien. I reckon the gameplay would suck due to the fact that there would be virtually no leveling of your men and I have no idea how to balance the overall experience to be enjoyable, but I've been pondering the concept for quite some time now and find it appealing.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing that makes me wonder in all the X-com games, even the original from the 90's, and the Xenonauts, is how weak the aliens actually are, your soldiers are real menace to them each scoring dozens of kills throughout the game.
I would like to see alien game in which it, statistically, takes several of your men to actually kill a single alien. I reckon the gameplay would suck due to the fact that there would be virtually no leveling of your men and I have no idea how to balance the overall experience to be enjoyable, but I've been pondering the concept for quite some time now and find it appealing.

Wrong topic.  :D

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

Anyways, had a dark run in the cove, was doing really well, took barely any damage, had some nice loot. Then, on my way to the last room I run into the fucking shambler, my first encounter with the bugger so I have no idea what it does. Party got nearly wiped there and ended up super stressed, think only my Plague doctor survived without stupidly high stress and low hp :C
I thought the shambler could only be encountered if you run into that shrine that says "you should sacrifice a torch to seal your doom" or something.

Every time I encounter that shrine I just ignore it.  :P

So I think if heroes have stress at the end of a week, they lose some of that stress at the cost of some of their experience. Either that or heroes passively lose experience each week of inactivity. I'm seeing noticeable declines in my inactive teams. Two crusaders who were lvl 4 are lvl 3, plague doctor who was lvl 3 is now lvl 2, etc. I can't just be imagining this.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

...I think you are. Stress decrease without cost has been in for a while, but I've seen no character level down.

You're not using an old save are you? sometimes quirky things happen...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile

That could be it. I've been using the same save since before the human bondage early access update.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

The damage trinkets are nice but I suspect the AI knows your stress debuff values. Every time I try to use one of those trinkets, the AI focus fires the shit out of them with stress attacks.

All in all though I do think they made the early game easier. It's hard to put my finger on what exactly makes it seem this way because the randomlol crits are still there. But maybe it's the additional gold you get back, the little bit of stress knocked off each week and a couple other things.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I swear, the RNG is more forgiving at lower levels. This is probably just confirmation bias, of course, but I wouldn't put it past them. It feels like enemies will make less intelligent decisions, get fewer lucky strings of hits and dodges, and the party more often gets Virtues, but that's all anecdotal.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

I think what you're seeing is just advancing stats.  Units on both sides become more specialized the farther in you get.  Early on there's not a massive difference between a crusader and a highwayman, they both have low health, shitty aim, low damage, etc.

Later on though the crusader will take hits for days and the highwayman'll crit for 30+ damage.  It's the same on the other side.  Early on everything's kind of samey cause stats are too low for much differentiation, but by tier 3 those skeleton defenders'll have a ton of prot but their damage'll still be on the low side, while the swordsmen'll be made of paper but crit almost every attack.

The further you go, the more dramatic units' strengths and weaknesses become. 
Shoes...

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hehe, revenge is sweet! I owned the Collector this time. He was stunned in round 1 and died in round 3. [2 crits in 1 round ftw! :D] All of my chars had full HP after the battle.
PS.
Am I the only one who always brings an Occultist with the party? Their utility + heals are excellent.
PPS.
I start to think that the Man-at-Arms class is decent. I have 2 OP trinkets on my main MaA, and he can tank everything so easily now, but my party is level 3 only.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 10:50:28 am by gimli »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've just come back to this after a long time. I think I played it pretty shortly after it came out in EA. Definitely before any of the 'expansions' and this has become much, much better. I don't think it's become easier but rather has become more playable. I remember giving up after starting 2-3 times and everything being terminated by a spree of bad luck. Whilst I'm used to that as a big RL fan, I just felt that there was nothing I could have done differently with DD - I was basically just rolling the dice and hoped things swung in my favor.

Whilst I did just get completely obliterated in a really, really bad spree of bad luck, I feel that I could prepare for it better next time rather than before when I just sorta went 'that was unfair' and stopped playing. I like all the customization and extra classes, as well as that they've upped the gold/heirlooms enough for me to actually make some decisions rather than just being in constant poverty.

Definitely gone from a 6/10 to a 8/10 in my book.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

Yeah. TBH the biggest turn-off before was the near-constant state of bankrupcy. which led to suicide grinding.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile

Yeah. TBH the biggest turn-off before was the near-constant state of bankrupcy. which led to suicide grinding.

Stacking a few scouting chance buffs to find secret rooms turned the finances around for me. And to top it off, I just read a word from the devs you cannot be surprised from battles that has been scouted first.

In fact this is getting less and less RNG every time you remember how to counter (buff scouting, keep 4 food + 1 shovel at all times, never specialize your chars...).

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That could be it. I've been using the same save since before the human bondage early access update.
They had two updates where they changed the exp need for leveling and similar, so thats why you lost or got a level.
Make love not war

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Agreed. I liked the 'desperation' feel they were going for, but it led to some very un-fun moments where you were constantly being shafted by RNG and didn't really have any viable strategies to counter it.

It feels like a much fuller game now, although I wish that they'd add more stuff/rooms in the dungeons. Something like little mini-quests or rooms that give you an risk/reward option or something would be nice. Even just some more decorative lore rooms would be good too - it just sometimes gets a bit monotonous.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 101