Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219754 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. Hound & Corpse!
« Reply #585 on: September 27, 2015, 10:25:43 am »

I'll have to try the arbalist again, then.

@ Cthulhu: I've noticed that the Man-at-arms tends to take more damage than the Crusader while having less HP than him or the Leper, which is why I said he isn't as tanky. His abilities can make him tanky, but he lacks the base damage protection or raw HP of the others. I tend to use the Man-at-arms as a combination party-buffer/second-rank attacker.
(I haven't played for a while, so I may be slightly mis-remembering some stats)
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Darkest Dungeon. Emotionally traumatize a team of adventurers. Hound & Corpse!
« Reply #586 on: September 27, 2015, 02:26:36 pm »

So I noticed they made the shovel persistent.  Doesn't that make it even less of a meaningful decision?  It becomes a tax. If you pay 250 gold before a mission, there's a chance of go fuck yourself.  If youd on't, there's a chance of double go fuck yourself.

I wish they'd just remove the cave-ins entirely or change their mechanics.  They do nothing to make the game more interesting.
Shoes...

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: September 27, 2015, 02:40:40 pm »

So I noticed they made the shovel persistent.  Doesn't that make it even less of a meaningful decision?  It becomes a tax. If you pay 250 gold before a mission, there's a chance of go fuck yourself.  If youd on't, there's a chance of double go fuck yourself.

I wish they'd just remove the cave-ins entirely or change their mechanics.  They do nothing to make the game more interesting.

They should have gone halfway, and made the Shovel persistent but with a chance to break on use. That would make more sense.

Something about curios has always rubbed me the wrong way. Tediously learning all of them is a recipe for pain. But if you use a cheat sheet to know what they do, and grok what kind you see in what dungeon....then they just become extra loot or the occasional life saving effect like stress reduction or torch or light or w/e. They basically lose their teeth as a gameplay mechanic because they become a known quantity very fast, such that they never hurt you. (And why would you take the risk on half the curios that can hurt you? I don't even check book shelves and the like anymore. The stress and torch hit aren't worth it, the positive quirks aren't worth it outside of the early game, and the maps aren't useful beyond the 2nd or 3rd one. So I just ignore them.)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 04:01:40 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: September 27, 2015, 02:56:30 pm »

Speaking of which, orbs.  Without spoiling them for me (I almost won once, 7 hp left) is there anything to be gained from activating one, or are they just yet another fuck you mechanic?
Shoes...

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: September 27, 2015, 03:03:57 pm »

Speaking of which, orbs.  Without spoiling them for me (I almost won once, 7 hp left) is there anything to be gained from activating one, or are they just yet another fuck you mechanic?

they always drop an ancestral trinket.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: September 27, 2015, 04:06:51 pm »

I guess that's cool but they're too unreliable to grab easily.  Never know when one'll show up.

Jesters seem a lot better than I remember.  Most of their abilities I don't like, too much moving around, but slice off and harvest are awesome.

EDIT:  So of course my jester died.  Still, I think I'mg etting the hang of it.  Upgrades are cheap enough when you factor in dark runs with throwaways that there's no reason not to kit out your level 1s if they come out of their first mission decent.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2015, 05:02:29 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: September 28, 2015, 02:02:08 am »

I've found the trick to movement classes is to combine them so you have constant movement in the direction you want.

I once had a team of nothing but grave robbers.  It was a constant cycle of charging forward, with each charge pushing the others back so that they could charge, pushing the one who had just charged back so they could charge, repeated forever.

Not sure if that even makes sense anymore, haven't played in almost a year.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: September 28, 2015, 06:47:34 am »

It still does make sense, it's a good strategy to use with a lot of team combinations. Some of my favorite teams have two crusaders in the front with that lance ability. Depending on the dungeon and the other two people I bring it either succeeds amazingly or fails quickly. Either way still fun.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: September 28, 2015, 01:44:33 pm »

I hadn't thought of trying that.  That'll be next on my list.  Right now I'm in the pruning phase, just finished the first set of three bosses.  I have a bunch of level 1s and a couple level 2s, no space for seekers anymore, and trying to figure out who I can let go and who I want to groom for serious teams.

Not a big fan of the houndmaster honestly.  He feels like a jack of several trades, master of none.  Some decent single-target damage but only with a mark, very weak aoe bleed, sort of tank abilities, kind of underwhelming overall.  He can fit decently in almost any slot but I've never said, "damn a houndmaster would be perfect for this team." I'd prefer a jester/vestal/arbalest to a houndmaster.  Jester feels like a plague doctor but with bleeds, his ability to stack bleed damage is crazy.
Shoes...

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: September 28, 2015, 01:54:26 pm »

Houndmaster is the only one with a protection lowering skill from what I remember offhand, has one of the highest dodge as well (base) and a better ability to surprise enemies. Though I can't remember his camp skills at all.

He works well as either prime support (Marking and debuffing for say bounty hunter, AoE bleeding), or dodge tanking up front
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:56:36 pm by ZebioLizard2 »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: September 28, 2015, 02:24:22 pm »

Jester and Houndmaster are the same to me, in the sense that when shit hits the fan neither of them can really go the distance. I'd rather have solid HP, solid direct damage or healing than dodges or bleed damage. People swear by the Jester but every time I've used him, it's 2 or 3 fights of decent performance. Then he gets critted, the enemies focus on him and he dies like a bitch.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: September 28, 2015, 03:33:16 pm »

Okay, so I think I'm going to have to stop trying medium missions in the ruins. Bone commanders are just completely flattening every team that comes across them.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: September 28, 2015, 03:51:10 pm »

Okay, so I think I'm going to have to stop trying medium missions in the ruins. Bone commanders are just completely flattening every team that comes across them.
Your teams sound pretty boned.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: September 28, 2015, 04:09:43 pm »

ptw.

sounds cool
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: September 28, 2015, 10:25:01 pm »

Just found a pretty promising setup.  Houndmaster in front with the aoe bleed, blackjack, guard dog, and mark.  Bounty Hunter for damage in second to capitalize on marks and stuns.  Vestal with stuns and heals.  Arbalest with pure damage.  Blew through most fights with very little damage, then we met the Inchoate Flesh and lost the vestal before backing out.  Just a scouting mission really, the vestal was dead so fast I didn't have a chance to pull out in time.

Occultist might also make a decent teammate for that but I like the vestal's stuns.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 101