Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 101

Author Topic: Darkest Dungeon II. Emotionally traumatize some adventurers. Wagon Life.  (Read 219183 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Cove, actually.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I only found out about holy water being usable when I accidentally clicked it instead of the antivenom XD
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile

Holy Water is decently powerful. Would probably come in handy for many bosses, actually.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

I'm kinda liking the free items that some classes bring now. Crusaders always have Holy Water. Free stuff isn't just for Houndmasters anymore! Although now they each bring two biscuits which just seems silly.

EDIT: New Game Plus apparently has a loss condition? Haven't got there m'self, but apparently that's its main contribution.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 11:22:38 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Huh, it does seem to save in battle. Probably to prevent savescumming. Finished that run with great success and some nice loot. Also finally braved up enough to attempt a veteran boss run on the siren. Holy shit, while the battles leading up to here weren't too hard I had to pull out. That scaly bitch stole my bounty hunter on turn one and proceeded to murder my plague doctor with him. Occultist barely got out too :C

No idea how I'll handle her tho, stuns maybe? Tho she's damn resistant to them it seems as all of them failed. And that 190 hp is a bitch to get trough when she takes your main source of damage which then causes your secondary source of damage to move into a position where he can't actually plague grenade her anymore :V
Oh man, the siren and stealing party members. The first time I fought her I had two abominations for dps, a plague doctor, and a jester in the back for dealing with stress and buffing.

3/4 times the siren got a chance to steal a party member, she chose the jester. All the jester could do was play the lute for her. Hellaciously lucky, because the one opportunity where she chose one of my abominations, he dealt 15 damage with rake to both my other abomination and my plague doctor due to the buffs I'd been giving them. She only had one turn with my abomination before I killed her. If she had stolen one of my two abominations right from the start I probably would've had to back out, and probably lose some dudes.

I killed her easily, but my party has resisted 5/4 charms.

LordPorkins

• Bay Watcher
  • Unrelated to DukePorkins
    • View Profile

For a good laugh, look up Baertaffy's DD playthrough. In like his 115th episode he was versing the siren, and he was completely blind. His reaction when she uses her song of desire is priceless.

*Siren uses Song*
*Baer sees hot siren-chick mirage*
"Woah"
*Controls Jester*
"WHAAAT!!!..............Thats not where you go!"
Ïlul Thuveg-Ellest
Rete Sano-Pima
Tormuk Dul-Orax
Kar Pum-Sisha

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Man guys level up fast now. Exactly two short Veteran missions takes them from 3 to 4. This is currently my biggest problem with the game. You can't make the cash you need to upgrade guys to the level they must run at. It's something like 80 Deeds to unlock Lvl 4 weapons and armor, when on a good run I'm getting 10 Deeds.

I really dislike how I'm constantly feeling like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to my roster. Half the strategizing in the game right now is figuring out how you can run a week with the guys you have, without a) forcing guys into missions where they don't have the gear or the skills up to snuff, b) running an awkward team because it's the only thing you can put together this week or c) recruiting 4 pieces of shit (who I no longer have room for in my roster) just so you can pass the week.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

I'm having a similar issue because I'm running low on low level fodder for dark runs and I can't really run much of the higher level stuff without it going horribly. Doubly so because I have like, one short veteran run, two medium ones (both bosses) and two long ones, which are a big no-go. Think I'm gonna have to start intentionally losing higher level guys simply because they're just wasting roster space and stupid amounts of money to keep in working order.
AS - IG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

Man guys level up fast now. Exactly two short Veteran missions takes them from 3 to 4. This is currently my biggest problem with the game. You can't make the cash you need to upgrade guys to the level they must run at. It's something like 80 Deeds to unlock Lvl 4 weapons and armor, when on a good run I'm getting 10 Deeds.

I really dislike how I'm constantly feeling like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place when it comes to my roster. Half the strategizing in the game right now is figuring out how you can run a week with the guys you have, without a) forcing guys into missions where they don't have the gear or the skills up to snuff, b) running an awkward team because it's the only thing you can put together this week or c) recruiting 4 pieces of shit (who I no longer have room for in my roster) just so you can pass the week.

I was like that too for a long time.  The mid-game can be quite a slog just cause you don't have enough slots to keep everything moving effectively and the works get gummed up.  You run out of space for disposable rookies and somehow you still can't manage to field an optimal teamcomp.

The religious restriction on abominations is fucking bullshit.  I think my abomination went on two total missions once he got out of tier 1.

And then I got to the darkest dungeon and was very disappointed, but XCOM came out so it didn't matter.  Probably not coming back to the game.
Shoes...

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was like that too for a long time.  The mid-game can be quite a slog just cause you don't have enough slots to keep everything moving effectively and the works get gummed up.  You run out of space for disposable rookies and somehow you still can't manage to field an optimal teamcomp.

The religious restriction on abominations is fucking bullshit.  I think my abomination went on two total missions once he got out of tier 1.

And then I got to the darkest dungeon and was very disappointed, but XCOM came out so it didn't matter.  Probably not coming back to the game.
If it's any consolation, the dev team still has a hands-on approach to development even after release, so maybe they'll have rebalanced it in time for you to give it another shot? They do listen to player criticism, I think. Sort of like recently, with the returning of resolve thresholds back to normal after players complained, for example.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And then I got to the darkest dungeon and was very disappointed, but XCOM came out so it didn't matter.

Care to elaborate? I've been avoiding DD spoilers but at this point I think I need to know if it will be worth the slog.

My assumption is: it's just like every other dungeon in the game, except with "quests", different background tiles, enemies that we've known about since the first trailer video and the boss fight.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And then I got to the darkest dungeon and was very disappointed, but XCOM came out so it didn't matter.

Care to elaborate? I've been avoiding DD spoilers but at this point I think I need to know if it will be worth the slog.

My assumption is: it's just like every other dungeon in the game, except with "quests", different background tiles, enemies that we've known about since the first trailer video and the boss fight.
There are new enemies for each dungeon difficulty level, so there is more variety than you'll see from the beginning of the game. The thing that's a bit iffy is just the time it takes to level up vs the time it takes to make enough money to outfit for the new levels vs the grind needed to upgrade the blacksmith.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

Tho the good thing is the blacksmith is a one time thing, so once that's over with you just need to scrounge up the manpower for the run itself. And the money too :V

AS - IG

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tho the good thing is the blacksmith is a one time thing, so once that's over with you just need to scrounge up the manpower for the run itself. And the money too :V
That would almost certainly require retiring veterans to allow the deeds to catch up without breaking the bank :-(

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah it's the fact you've got a roster full of guys you can't do anything with is the problem. Unless you're willing to throw them all into the meat grinder to earn deeds or just scrap them and continue farming low-level crap....it's like the game is trying every thing in its power to make sure your guys are disposable, whether you want them to be or not.

Honestly it's just all the stupid restrictions they've put in place that stop this game from being "play how you want and have fun." Adventuring limits and roster limits and dungeon levels all combine to leave you in this awkward place where you don't WANT to run your highest level guys for one reason or another. And then you finally run out of space for bottom feeders in your roster and STILL don't have the money, the heirlooms or the upgrades to really proceed to the part of the game it believes you're ready for.

Either that, or it just assumed you'd get hundreds of guys killed along the way so by the time you actually had level 4+s to run, you'd already bought up all the shit they'd need to survive.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 [68] 69 70 ... 101