How shall we plea

Guilty
- 1 (33.3%)
Not guity
- 2 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Voting closed: October 14, 2013, 03:42:16 am

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Daggerfall lets play- Now with a dancing shopkeaper  (Read 11613 times)

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Daggerfall lets play- Now with a dancing shopkeaper
« on: October 09, 2013, 04:00:35 am »

Hi doing a lets play of The elderscrols chapter II Daggerfall a 1996 game by Bethesda.
I recently started playing this game and once i got used to the old controls i started enjoying it.

For those of you who don't know Daggerfall is the 2nd game in the elderscrols series and is the direct predeseser to morrowind, oblivion and skyrim.

the action of daggerfall takes place roughly 10 years before morrowind in the iliac bay region between Hamerfel (land of the redguards) and Highrock (breatons)

where you the emperors agent have been sent on a secret mission by the emperor to find why the king of daggerfall's ghost haunts his castle.

(The guy without the bed is the emperor the one who looks like John-Luke Picard)
I had read into the law of daggefall before i decided to play and found it centered around a large soul called the Mantella ussed to power a dweamer ultra golem called Numidium gifted to Tiber Septim (the 1st Emperor) by Vivec (one of the god kings of morrowind) to ensure morrowinds autonomy from the empire.

Amway Daggerfall features many of the features of the later elderscrolls game. and the 1st act of any ne game is character creation.

within reason i will allow the community to design my including class
NOTE DAGGERFAL HAS AN EXTREMELY COMPLEX CLASS DESIGNER
allowing you to create classes you would expect in games like D&D with immunity abilities relationships with different class's of people and gear restrictions.
class creation guide

list of skills

you can make suggestions for general ideas or specific strengths or weakness's.

i have never made a lets play before so we will have to wait and see how this turns out

just some added information on the size of daggerfall
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

for those wh want to play the game here is an easy installer for daggerfall
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 04:05:39 am by sackhead »

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dagerfall lets play
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 06:30:15 am »

Hmm i only played this game for about 5 minutes before quitting (technical issues and other games taunting me) but from what i did hear Daggerfall has 2 things.

1 - Lots of features.
2 - Lots of bugs.

I guess it's going ot be fun watching.

The map also makes me wonder... how long till a TES game comes out featuring the ENTIRE world and not just one province (skyrim) or barely part of one (morrowind).
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 08:49:03 am by Sonlirain »
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 08:40:29 am »

Ooh, I'm deficiently going to watch this. Afraid I can't recommend a class right now because its half past early morning here.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 09:41:37 am »

Oooh, Daggerfall.

Female dark elf, with a custom class something like this:

Important:
 * Maximum hp/level. (It's miserable to play without this.)
 * Maximum increased magery (It's miserable to play without this.)
 * Minimize your skill advancement per level. (Get that as close to .3 as you can, even if you have to pile on critical weaknesses and forbidden materials and items to get it.)
 * Do not spend your bonus skillpoints on the skills you think will be most useful. For major skills, invest points only in the vertically bottom-most skill listed on your character sheet, and for minor skills, invest them anywhere except the vertically highest skill. Spending points in skills that are listed closer to the top of your screen will reduce your maximum possible level.

Not hugely important, but do this
 * Take reputation penalties to the underworld and take the bonus to nobles
 * Focus on Endurance/Speed/Strength/Intelligence/Luck (Endurance is most important to raise early. Max it as soon as you can. Strength and Speed both make gameplay more convenient. Intelligence you do want, but it's not something you need lots of right away. Luck is nice to have. The other attributes aren't very important, though if I remember correctly it's possible to have superlow combinations of personality, etiquette skill and noble reputation that can result in main quest givers refusing to give you quests required to advance the game. So be aware of that.)
 * Take Athleticism, and expertise in longblade

Don't take any of these
 * Immunities, resistances, spell absorption, rapid healing or regeneration
 * None of the light/dark powered stuff
 * Bonus to hit anything
 * Expertise in anything other than longblade
 * Damage in sunlight

Penalties
 * Forbid leather, buckler, orcish, elven
 * Damage in holy places
 * Critical weakness to frost and/or shock
 * Feel free to neglect agility and willpower as much as you want

If you still need points to reduce your skill use multiplier, critical weakness to disease/paralysis aren't a big deal. Also, forbid chain/steel/silver will make your early game more difficult, but is easily overcome later on.

Skills
Meh. Longblade and spell schools. Nothing else is really important. If for some reason you don't want to just load up on magic, it's not a huge mistake to take dodge, critical strike or pickpocket. But longblade + anything magic is very safe.

Then get the hence to Gothway Gardens.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:50:27 am »

Posting to watch. I've played enough of Daggerfall to know that I don't have the patience/fortitude to finish the game. Hopefully you'll have more luck than I did.

Stworca

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron Tad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:23:00 am »

I don't have the patience/fortitude to finish the game.

Nobody does, but the journey can be very pleasant nonetheless.
I just ramble incoherently for absolutely no reason.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:37:09 pm »

I played it enough that I started to know my way around the left hand path of castle necromoghan. But yeah, even so...I never finished the game. Some of those dungeons are bigger and more complicated than most entire games. Or real life cities for that matter. Eye of the beholder is the only other game I can think of that comes close.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 02:56:41 pm »

Yeah, do what LordBucket said, pretty much.

Also, can I suggest you write your posts in Word first and use the spellcheck? Or switch Firefox/Chrome which has built-in spell check? It'll make your posts look a lot cleaner.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 07:41:35 pm »

thanks for the advise everyone if there are no more suggestions i will run with lord buckets

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Re: Daggerfall lets play
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 07:51:45 pm »

thanks for the advise everyone if there are no more suggestions i will run with lord buckets

I have a suggestion: Spell Daggerfall with two g's. It's been annoying me for a while. Other than that, best of luck!

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 03:39:10 am »

After creating the custom class following lord Buckets suggestion this screen came up

After about 5 minutes of panicking only to names would come to my head…

After much deliberation I went with the 1st based of a Google image search anyway no one in the game knows what a transformer is anyway
Our starting sheet looks something like this

The game has begun with a fancy intro text and 2 movies 

Our starting abilities and weaknes

Our starting gear is fairly good with an iron long sword, ebony dagger and iron Cuirass as well as 100 gold and a spell book
Our starting spells are shock (49 spell points) slowfall (35) and Chameleon (32) with 171 spell points in total we can do some casting

After entering the 1st room and spotting some treasure

Holy crap a rat ! and after a sword swing and a shock blast he is dead ! (I had to google how to cast spells my other character never used them)

To heal my wounds I sleep 6 hours
I mange to repeat the process on a giant bat

And an imp

I have to switch to my dagger to fight him because he is resistant to iron also he does some form of magic damage that hurts us a lot nothing 8 hours of sleep can’t fix..
After a wee bit of looting a thief! And not a well-dressed one at that

One shock and she is dead, not much loot just some useless leather and a silver battle axe
But in the room she came out of was a fancy blue shirt, as well as a pile of heads!

Running through several rooms I find a secret door

I have also found some iron greaves as loot !
After battling my way up have found the exit !
I slept a total of 30 hours sleeping underground to regain health.
Kills
Rat 5
Imp 3
Bat 4
People 5

Notable loot
a steel dai-katana
some armour
230 gold
And a bunch of weapons and other trash to sell.

Now to town!

sackhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 03:47:40 am »

the town is call Gothway Garden

what now people?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 04:48:24 am »

Starscream

...oh, dear.

I had to google how to cast spells my other character never used them

Magic is crucially important in the game...but not so much for combat. It might make a difference for now, but pretty soon you'll just be smashing everything with your sword.

what now people?

* Rent a room at a tavern and take a nap to see if you're ready to level up.
 * Click on your shirt to tuck it in. No sense being sloppy.
 * Sell stuff. You're very close to your carrying limit.
 * Sign up at the mage guild and buy some cheap custom trainer spells. Order of priority is: restoration, then any of thaumaturgy/alteration/mysticism, then illusion, then destruction. Don't bother trying quests for them just yet. There are very few you'll be able to do, and if you fail your first quest for them it's a pain to recover from negative reputation. So just put it off for now.
 * Go to the fighter's guild, do not sign up yet, and do a couple kill quests around town for them. While you do, spam your trainer spells.
 * Save often, cycling through your various save slots in order to have load points in the event of catastrophic game failure. However, don't savescum merely to prevent quest failure. There are several interesting events in the game that are only triggered by failing quests. While you don't want to go out of your way to fail quests, neither you do you want to always succeed at everything.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 06:24:24 am »

Are we doing the main quest here? From what I remember you should have a letter telling you to go meet with a duchess at a tavern in Daggerfall (Daggerfall province, not the city).

I believe you get 2 weeks to complete the mission (or is it 2 months?). If that's completed there's no timer on the next part of the story.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 06:37:11 am »

The letter doesn't show up for a couple weeks. After receiving the letter you have a month to do the quest. Once we get the letter, yes we should talk to Lady Brisienna immediately since failing that quest results in a Non Standard Game Over that's basically awful because it doesn't tell you that the game is over. But so long as we stay within Daggerfall province until we get the letter it shouldn't present any difficulty to get to the meeting in time.

Oh, also:

Under no circumstances enter the capital cities of Daggerfall, Sentinel or Wayrest until we're ready to engage the main quest. There are certain triggers in those locations that start timed events that we can't possibly complete at this stage in the game, but that break the game if we fail. So just don't go there.

Like Mech#4 says, Daggerfall is both the name of a province, and a city within that province. (Kind of like New York, New York.) For now ll we need to do in stay in Daggerfall province, but don't enter Daggerfall city, and we can avoid a long list of game-breaking problems.

Pages: [1] 2