Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bugs 'n Glitches Thread  (Read 4196 times)

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
Bugs 'n Glitches Thread
« on: October 08, 2013, 02:06:08 am »

So, I figured I'd get out my N64 and play Majora's Mask, since I never quite beat it for some reason. Apparently something went wrong though- after the first cinema, when skull kid steals your horse, I immediately "died" and started back in the same "room", with no sword, and all of my C buttons filled with Ocarina of Times. I didn't realize anything was up yet, because I hadn't played in so long, even though "dying" seemed off I figured since I only had one item it was assigned to multiple slots, like you can do in some of the later games. i continued to not realize anything was up, up until I met the great fairy... after the first few lines of dialog, the little fairies would swirl around me and I died, appearing back at the beginning of the room. I tried this a few times, and then, happened to check my inventory...

Yep, check out my Ocarinas! Of Times! All 47 of them. So apparently I found a much darker version of Majora's Mask... where not only does the great fairy just straight up suck your soul out, the world is filled with tacky fake Ocarina of Time souvenirs and Link's been given so many he can't tell which one is the original.

I blew on the cartridge a bunch and it worked fine after that. Which is funny because the sticker explicitly says not to blow in the cartridge, but evidently that's a lie.

Anyway, since that's not quite entirely enough to justify a thread, go ahead and discuss any other interesting in glitches you've had, in whichever game.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:29:46 am by Sensei »
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs 'n Glitches Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 02:10:55 am »

I blew on the cartridge a bunch and it worked fine after that. Which is funny because the sticker explicitly says not to blow in the cartridge, but evidently that's a lie.

That was like, the best repair ever for any cartridge game. even for discs today its the huff on it and wipe it with shirt.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:33:48 am »

That was like, the best repair ever for any cartridge game. even for discs today its the huff on it and wipe it with shirt.

It was actually terrible - the moisture from your breath collected in the cartridge and rusted/corroded/molded the contacts, which made it work worse so you blew in it more.... till eventually it never worked at all.. It's also questionable if blowing actually helped - the "fix" was probably caused by simply pulling the cartridge out and putting it back in (giving the pins another chance to line up and connect right) and the blowing was pure placebo.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 02:39:44 am »

That's actually pretty terrible for CDs. I've ruined one or two doing that over the years.

Anyways, as I've mentioned in other threads, I had an accidental experience with cart tilting the other day when I nudged my N64 in the middle of play.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the idea, cart tilting is very slightly moving the cartridge while you're still playing the game. If you're lucky, the game won't immediately crash. Instead, strange and wonderful things will happen. Luckily, my save file and cartridge are both fine, but sometimes things turn out very badly when you tilt.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 02:41:37 am by itisnotlogical »
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 03:36:11 am »

It's also questionable if blowing actually helped - the "fix" was probably caused by simply pulling the cartridge out and putting it back in (giving the pins another chance to line up and connect right) and the blowing was pure placebo.
I don't know about N64 cartridges so much, but the old NES ones definitely required blowing some of the time, not just re-seating. Usually though, that's just a pink/green/black screen, not anything exciting like mario folding up into a ball or having 47 ocarinas and getting murdered by the great fairy.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 04:40:07 am »

I was playing Terrafirmacraft on a server I host for some friends, and came across this gem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For those not in the know, Terrafirmacraft is one of those mods that takes itself a bit too seriously, meaning getting to a pickaxe is an exercise in wiki checking (find native copper or an ore of such, like tetrahedrite, through surface rocks, find enough of it to throw in a ceramic pot, oh and did I mention that you have to fire the ceramic using clay and a kiln with straw and a full stack of 16 logs... it goes on), so finding iron blocks thrown into terrain generation is hilarious.

But yeah, it's a bit buggy as mods go.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 11:22:13 am »

It's also questionable if blowing actually helped - the "fix" was probably caused by simply pulling the cartridge out and putting it back in (giving the pins another chance to line up and connect right) and the blowing was pure placebo.
I don't know about N64 cartridges so much, but the old NES ones definitely required blowing some of the time, not just re-seating. Usually though, that's just a pink/green/black screen, not anything exciting like mario folding up into a ball or having 47 ocarinas and getting murdered by the great fairy.

Blowing on cartridges is the #1 reason why so many NES carts are unplayable today. It corrodes the contacts, can cause mold growth, and makes problems much worse. As someone who collects mint box/booklet NES carts, you can easily see the visual difference between contacts that have been blown on over the years and contacts that haven't been.

Most bad boots of NES cartridges were due to the way the NES seated carts (it was notoriously finicky). If you use an NES toploader modded with a clear shell and gently slide carts in, you can actually see how the contacts can slot wrong and cause a bad boot. It was more effective to adjust the sides of the cart, as many carts had wobbly internals that often shifted a few millimeters.

Here's Nintendo's official policy on cartridge blowing: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/nes/trouble_game.jsp
Here's a month long testing a guy did on blowing NES carts: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?117240-DP-MYTHBUSTERS-Blowing-in-NES-Cartridges
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2013, 11:38:37 am »

Astral: That's just a crashed alien spaceship. Might wanna have some decent armor before you dig around there ...

As for glitches, I suppose we should ignore all the "falling through a crack in the geometry and out of the map" glitches. Seems like those come up in just about every game with polygonal terrain.

How about the GTA4 swing set catapult?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfcnciQI6cY
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2013, 11:49:56 am »

I was playing Terrafirmacraft on a server I host for some friends, and came across this gem:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
For those not in the know, Terrafirmacraft is one of those mods that takes itself a bit too seriously, meaning getting to a pickaxe is an exercise in wiki checking (find native copper or an ore of such, like tetrahedrite, through surface rocks, find enough of it to throw in a ceramic pot, oh and did I mention that you have to fire the ceramic using clay and a kiln with straw and a full stack of 16 logs... it goes on), so finding iron blocks thrown into terrain generation is hilarious.

But yeah, it's a bit buggy as mods go.

Meh, it's simply the Minecraft equivalent of Dwarf Fortress: pointlessly brutal by pointless realism, with hilarity showing through the holes in the fabric of realism, and yet somehow being incredibly fun.

What you have here is an obvious ID conflict, did you install other mods (aside, as I can see, from the minimap?). Oh, and vanilla iron is totally useless as far as TFC is concerned.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2013, 12:29:16 pm »

The collision detection in Daikatana leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7PDdsn9wbo

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2013, 12:45:11 pm »

On Deus Ex:HR, on my first run through I beat the second boss because she decided to stand still in the middle of the room. And get shot at to death. I was going to feel bad about it until I remembered that up until then I had been playing a puzzle game, so breaking the game is only fair when the only alternative choice is combat.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »

The collision detection in Daikatana leaves a lot to be desired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7PDdsn9wbo

FTFY.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 06:34:13 pm »

Thief: Dark Shadows has a rather... unique physics engine. The best part about this is that it's entirely reproducable: simply blackjack a guard from behind, and he will always fall into this position if the ground is flat enough. He won't fall over unless you do something to disturb the body.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 06:42:27 pm »

I remember once in Fallout 3 I was wandering around and was suddenly accosted by a spazzy, flying corpse of a super mutant.

Kinda wish I had a video/picture for posterity.

Also, my old Super Mario RPG once froze at the character menu screen, making the menu's all disappear and switching to the ghost ship theme. Like some form of weird creepypasta.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 07:30:53 pm »

I remember once in Fallout 3 I was wandering around and was suddenly accosted by a spazzy, flying corpse of a super mutant.

Kinda wish I had a video/picture for posterity.

Also, my old Super Mario RPG once froze at the character menu screen, making the menu's all disappear and switching to the ghost ship theme. Like some form of weird creepypasta.

Why is it that Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas have so many problems with corpses? I remember there being a problem where living NPCs would have their heads perpetually caught in mid-gibbing, with all the pieces arranged to form a complete head.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.
Pages: [1] 2