Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you want his project to become?

A list of random events with backstory
- 4 (57.1%)
A list of goals with specific tasks and events
- 3 (42.9%)
A mini-game in which most of the game is locked and you do quests to unlock stuff
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: So, I had this weird idea...  (Read 3360 times)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
So, I had this weird idea...
« on: October 07, 2013, 07:31:35 pm »

Since I'm feeling content creep is crawling up on me, I'm going to start a poll to pick a direction.

Firstly, I don't want this to turn in to a wall of text, so I'll put each part in to spoilers. Secondly, if something like this already exists, please point me to the relevant thread before I put a ton of effort in to this.
Spoiler: Reason (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Concept (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Example (click to show/hide)
So, summing it up...
TL;DR: I want to make a list of random events/quests for DF and I'm open for suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:02:49 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So, I had this weird idea...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 08:50:13 pm »

I like the idea. Busy right now but will do some brainstorming on this later.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 02:08:20 am »

Sounds like fun, if you can get a list of sufficiently interesting quests. I think the quests should be categorized by difficulty, so you will have to take more and more Fun quests after the first couple of years, and eventually they should get so hard (with consequences of failure so severe) that you could lose your fortress to them. I think most quests should be designed to facilitate roleplaying and/or creating a dwarven culture.

For example, an easy-ish quest might look like this:

Spoiler: Religious Fervor (click to show/hide)

And a harder quest might look like this:

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 03:20:38 am »

Sounds like fun, if you can get a list of sufficiently interesting quests.
Well, I was kinda hoping for forum users to throw tier creativity at this thread. See what sticks and make a list out of it. If the reception is sufficient I'll list them in the first post.
I think the quests should be categorized by difficulty...
Adding multiple difficulty tiers sounds like a plan. But following the Monopoly reference, I'd prefer to see quests that are circumstantially hard. Like the "Make general repairs on all your property" card. If you get it early one it's no big deal. But later on it might be game over.
I'm also not sure how to connect rewards / punishment with specific quests...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:27:56 am by KtosoX »
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 04:03:53 am »

Rewards are probably not be feasible unless you hack them in, since there are only so many restrictions you can place to be lifted later. I think punishments can be specific to each quest and designed to "fit the crime."

I like the idea of circumstantially hard quests. Things that are harder the more dwarves you have should work in general.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 05:12:20 am »

Perhaps for overall easier ones that could still be hard in a bad situation:

"Make [Y] amount of product [X], then offer to caravans" (perhaps a bit too similar to mandates, but it should be easy unless you get "20 adamantine swords" or "30 featherwood figurines" in an evil region)

"Dig down into the caverns"/"Dig to the next cavern layer"/etc (rather variable depending on caverns danger, and it opens you up to new problems years after the fact)

"Secure breeding stock of animal [X], breed [Y] amount" (Perhaps a tad too hard if you get something ridiculous)
"Train [X] amount of preexisting fort animals for war/hunting" (should be simple if you have doggies)

Nothing that interesting, and I have no idea about specific punishments for each of them, but we could do with some safe-ish ones to fill the gaps so that we can occasionally "draw a card" and sigh in relief that you only have to make 30-odd wooden trinkets.

Also, inspired by religious ones above (due to many of my forts trying to incorporate shrines):

"[X] God has fallen out of favour, all depictions (statues, figurines, engravings, etc) of God [X] must removed (stored in some dank cellar or otherwise hidden away) and all shrines (or other public areas of worship) blocked off /hidden from liaisons/officials until the end of the year."

(I suppose any list should just have the challenges themselves, then Players could come up with roleplay reasons themselves, e.g: "Don't dig sideways into the surface of the mountain" could be read as "The King enjoys his view of these mountains, don't damage the surface with your mining, at least until he loses interest".)

I might be straying a wee bit too far off the original idea, but perhaps there could be a small chance of more long term challenges, such as having to do something over (or every) two years or maybe even four? They would probably have to have higher stakes/rewards.

And with that I conclude with my humble and none-too-original list of ideas. I'm quite interested in this, and would like to see what you lot come up with.
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:36 am »

@kero42 all of those challenges seem solid, especially the cavern one since it creates a lot of room for future FUN.

I might be straying a wee bit too far off the original idea, but perhaps there could be a small chance of more long term challenges, such as having to do something over (or every) two years or maybe even four? They would probably have to have higher stakes/rewards.
Well, I first thought of these challenges more like side quests. Stuff that you get done and move on. What you are suggesting is something that takes years to finish, so you will probably have to design your fort around that task in order to get it done.
So, how I'm seeing this right now:
Come up with a list of Goals (starting scenario-ish stuff), Tasks (something like megaprojects) and Events (minor yearly random stuff). The player would either pick or random a goal at start. Parts of the game needed to fulfill said goal are locked until Tasks are finished. Random Events would pop up yearly in order to set the player back.
Example:
Goal- Export 1 milion dorfbucks worth of stuff to the Mountainhome. BUT you can only export clothing.
Tasks- Clothing labor is turn on on every dwarf until you get a masterful/artifact clothing item.
You can't dye thread/cloth until you have 300 dimple cups
You can order cloth/thread from your liason once your Mayor has a Throne Room.

UnlawfullyDeranged

• Bay Watcher
  • For every one, there will be one hundred more.
    • View Profile
    • 'Best War Animals'  'Clocks'
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 12:40:21 am »

There has been seismic activity that has disrupted the magma sea. You must seal off all magma sea access for one year to ensure that your fort is not flooded. Failure to do so will result in the loss of your five most skilled dwarves to immolation. Any isolated magma reservoirs you may have built up will not be affected.

This could be an example of a challenge that makes you diversify in case it ever comes up (e.g. make a magma reservoir or have a stockpile of charcoal or coke so you aren't at a loss for metalworking). Calculated sacrifices are also an option.
Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!
Just no cheesemakers.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 10:20:10 am »

I'd prefer that the quests made a lot of story sense, like what a dastardly politician would organize for your fortress.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The challenge of that one? All migrants sent to you have criminal tendencies. All of them save infants, who will grow up as normal dwarves. The King will also never come to your fortress, no matter how great it is, because to him it is merely a Prison. No place fit for royalty.

The bonus?

I'd assume that trade caravans from your Empire would give you a sizable discount. After all, most of your populace will be under lock and key and unable to work. Or insane. Most likely insane.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 11:58:57 am »

I like the idea in its simplest form, the more complication the worse imho. And I don't think they should be simple mandate-style 'make X of X' challenges. I liked itg's ideas the best.

But what I really see this being hilarious in is succession forts... hmm.

Some more suggestions:

Spoiler: Sharpshooter (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Booze Cruise (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 12:03:24 pm by acetech09 »
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

kero42

• Bay Watcher
  • Das sind mir unbekannte Blumen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2013, 12:59:40 pm »

I like the idea in its simplest form, the more complication the worse imho. And I don't think they should be simple mandate-style 'make X of X' challenges. I liked itg's ideas the best.

But what I really see this being hilarious in is succession forts... hmm.

Some more suggestions:

Spoiler: Sharpshooter (click to show/hide)

Ooh, I quite like this one. I agree that simple is best.
Just some un-refined ideas here:

Spoiler: Matching Set (click to show/hide)

This challenge could be slightly modified for simplicity.

Spoiler:  Captains Set (click to show/hide)

I admit to having difficulty scaling these, so I'm not sure if these are long term or hard enough to merit being a year long challenge, but I'm just posting these to try and get a general idea what these should challenges should be like.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 01:01:33 pm by kero42 »
Something I find interesting and thought I should share: DF from scratch: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=127552.0

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2013, 08:41:00 pm »

I have a couple more ideas:

Spoiler: Seasons of Love (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Power Struggle (click to show/hide)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2013, 10:08:25 pm »

Here's one.

Spoiler: LDOE Shelter (click to show/hide)

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 05:37:45 am »

I've added a poll to see what forum users think about it.
Most of the ideas coming up so far are pretty solid. I'd like to know what you guys think about events in which something happens without any player interaction (like " the merchant will only take coins this year" or similar).
Also, what about events related to stuff we can't directly control, like the married couples idea by itg (since we can't make dwarves fall in love with each other, we can only make it more probable).

Expanding on what's in the poll
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 05:40:41 am by KtosoX »