Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Idea for a Dragon vs. Forgotten Beast battle... uhh, I mean LOVE FEST...  (Read 598 times)

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Howdy!

I have a caged Dragon who decided to trample his way through my front gate, right into a bank of traps.  Now, a Forgotten beast has shown up in the cave below my Fortress.  The FB doesn't have a path in yet (fortunately).  I'd love to hook these two up, to see if they'll hit it off, a la Donkey and the Dragon from Shrek.

I'm sure I could finagle a staircase down to a safe area, then mine out a path between them.  But I'd rather not risk accidentally allowing a path for the FB up into my Fortress.  So, the idea I had was to mine a 3x3 flat area, place the cage in the middle, hook it up to a lever... then tunnel out the 16 squares surrounding the 3x3 area, so that the cage would drop down into the cavern.

If I do this, (A) will the cage survive?, (B) will the connection between the cage and the lever survive?

Let me know what you all think!

--Wood

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: Idea for a Dragon vs. Forgotten Beast battle... uhh, I mean LOVE FEST...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 05:19:55 pm »

a: yes
b: no

the cage remains intact but is deconstructed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:10:29 pm »

I'm sure I could finagle a staircase down to a safe area, then mine out a path between them.  But I'd rather not risk accidentally allowing a path for the FB up into my Fortress.  So, the idea I had was to mine a 3x3 flat area, place the cage in the middle, hook it up to a lever... then tunnel out the 16 squares surrounding the 3x3 area, so that the cage would drop down into the cavern.

Dig the area you want for the dragon cage, hook up the lever, then connect that area to the caverns using a little trick....

Namely pretend that the caverns are actually a magma tube and you want to connect to it without exposing your dwarves to danger.
1. Tunnel towards the caverns until 2 orthogonal tiles are between the tunnel and the caverns.
2. Channel one tile leaving just 1 tile between the tunnel and caverns. This creates a ramp 1 Z level down.
3. Build a bridge over the opening.
4. Seal off the area with the bridge, tunnel, dragon cage, etc. Make sure it's completely sealed off.
5. Tunnel to that ramp created in step 2 above.
6. Order the last remaining tile between the tunnel and the caverns dug out.

The dwarves can dig diagonally above them while directly overhead is a bridge. This little tidbit allows for safe tapping of magma pipes. And secure safe passages into caverns where forgotten beasts lay in wait.

Woodimt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:58:50 pm »

Excellent, I'll give it a try.  Any bets on who wins?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 07:13:12 pm »

Most likely the dragon, but if the FB extract is deadly enough or thr FB is made of a material that can resist dragonfire long enough, then the FB could win, if rectroactively.

Early in my current fort, I had tamed a dragon a little and decided to toss it into the cavern to fight a clear (or crystal?) glass FB to see what happens. The dragon came out pretty much unscathed and won by melting the FB. The FBs 'deadly dust' only gave the dragon some nausea.