Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Migrants, I love you  (Read 4313 times)

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Migrants, I love you
« on: October 07, 2013, 05:24:02 am »

For the first time in my life I appreciated migrants.
I embarked without axes (removed for points, didn't realize until I didn't cut trees), migrants took some with them and saved my fort!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Migrants, I love you
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2013, 06:09:04 am »

Somewhat preferable to the endless supply of crossbows (and rangers) migrants usually bring.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, 06:13:31 am »

You should be able to deconstruct your wagon, build carpenter's workshop, and make a wooden axe. Presumably that chops wood just as well.

At least this trick was mentioned in one of the older topics in a similar case.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 06:14:41 am »

Alternative, you may deconstruct your wagon, build a carpentry and craft a training axe.
Saves embark points, and isn't much more cheaty as embarking with a wooden training axe imo.

Edit: Yes, wooden axes work fine for wood cutting. Both crafted and purchased ones.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 06:16:51 am by Iceflame »

Pinstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:02:24 am »

Skilled wood cutters bring axes, skilled hunters bring crossbows, skilled miners bring picks.

The actual item they bring is random. More than once I've been graced with a steel battle axe and steel picks from my first wave or two.

If you un-assign their labor, they'll drop their related tool, freeing it up to be used by your budding military if it is of a high quality metal.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 05:30:43 pm »

Check out the 'single pick challenge' threads about how to start without anything except for a single pick (and often in a reanimating terrifying glacier or suchlike to add challenge)

To survive until the caravan, you only need a pick. For complete independence, you need an anvil and either (1) a pick, or (2) a copper/iron nugget and a rock.

In either case, deconstruct the wagon for 3 wood, build a carpenters workshop, construct a training axe.

For (2), create a pick by building a wood furnace using the rock, make two charcoal (deconstruct carpenter for second wood), deconstruct furnace, build a smelter, smelt copper/iron, deconstruct smelter, build forge, forge pick.

Dig down to the cavern to get wood and plants and build your fortress.

In case of an aquifer, use the cave-in method to dig through it without requiring any resources except for the pick.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 06:54:20 pm »

To survive until the caravan, you only need a pick. For complete independence, you need an anvil and either (1) a pick, or (2) a copper/iron nugget and a rock.
Actually, you don't even need the rock. An anvil and chunk of copper/iron ore is enough.

1. Take apart wagon.
2. Build wood burning furnace using ore.
3. Make 1 ash and 2 charcoal using wood from wagon.
4. Take apart wood furnace. Build smelter using ash.
5. Smelt ore.
6. Take apart smelter. Build forge using ash.
7. Forge axe.
8. Chop down some trees.
9. Take apart forge, build wood furnace.
10. Make more charcoal.
11. Take apart wood furnace, build forge.
12. Make pick...

Of course, it is possible to make a training axe from a log and remove a few steps. Entirely up to you. Lots o' ways to skin that cat.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 07:11:58 pm »

Go minecraft on your dwarves and get them to punch trees.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 08:38:57 pm »

Oddly enough I think bowyers will arrive with crossbows, metal crossbows, even though their profession of choice can only make wooden or bone ones.  ???

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 08:43:21 pm »

The kind of migrants you get are influenced by what your fort is lacking. Which is why all the cheesemakers and fisherdwarves later on, but also why all the military people. And, if you're in dire straits, why they almost always send some basic, useful people. When it's not a 100% child wave, that is.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 08:50:48 pm »

The kind of migrants you get are influenced by what your fort is lacking. Which is why all the cheesemakers and fisherdwarves later on, but also why all the military people. And, if you're in dire straits, why they almost always send some basic, useful people. When it's not a 100% child wave, that is.

And if your fort is doing perfectly fine, all industries running at full capacity and churning out wealth, the mountainhomes send you nobles and children, presumably to correct your error.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2013, 01:25:39 am »

Actually, you don't even need the rock. An anvil and chunk of copper/iron ore is enough.

1. Take apart wagon.
2. Build wood burning furnace using ore.
3. Make 1 ash and 2 charcoal using wood from wagon.
4. Take apart wood furnace. Build smelter using ash.
5. Smelt ore.
6. Take apart smelter. Build forge using ash.
7. Forge axe.
8. Chop down some trees.
9. Take apart forge, build wood furnace.
10. Make more charcoal.
11. Take apart wood furnace, build forge.
12. Make pick...

Of course, it is possible to make a training axe from a log and remove a few steps. Entirely up to you. Lots o' ways to skin that cat.

Unless I'm mistaken, kilns, smelters and forges need to be built from fire-safe materials, hence the rock.  I agree with you that since you get 4 bars from the ore, you can forge a proper axe as well, using one wood for fuel rather than for a training axe.

TheKaspa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2013, 03:06:09 am »

Still at Ground Zero (not yet vertical digging), I want to set up tree farms before accidentally opening the caverns.
I managed to get wood industry starting, though.
Thanks for the tips!
Tai'shar DwarfFortress

I've heard Minecart Airlines Express offers nice trips to nobility. Alternative trips include a voyage over the volcano. Call 1-800-I-THE-GUINEAPIG-VOLUNTEER and book now!
My fucking armok, you broke the game.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2013, 03:14:46 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, kilns, smelters and forges need to be built from fire-safe materials, hence the rock. 

Tetrahedrite and native copper are fire-safe materials, you can build your wood furnace from it, but need to set it to non-economical first. Copper bars are also firesafe, so you can build your forge and replacement wood furnace from two of your four copper bars, allowing you to make the pick right away. This way, you only need to deconstruct the first wood furnace, all other deconstruction jobs in the given startup list can be postponed until after you've made the pick.

If you only have access to malachite as copper-bearing stone, you'll still need to bring a rock, malachite has such a low melting point that it's not firesafe.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 06:24:33 am »

Unless I'm mistaken, kilns, smelters and forges need to be built from fire-safe materials, hence the rock.  I agree with you that since you get 4 bars from the ore, you can forge a proper axe as well, using one wood for fuel rather than for a training axe.
Ash is fire safe.
Pages: [1] 2