Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How the heck do I get stairs to work?  (Read 904 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How the heck do I get stairs to work?
« on: October 30, 2007, 08:23:00 am »

Read the title.

Arnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How the heck do I get stairs to work?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 08:43:00 am »

I tried to get stairs to work also, I couldn't. I just used ramps instead.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

This probably could have gone in the Questions forum, but here it goes:

On the top Z-level, you Designate an area for downward stairs (I think it's 'j').  You then go one layer down and put Upwards stairs ('i') or Up/Down stairs (not sure) below the downward stairs.

Xether

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 09:43:00 am »

You build 1 portion of the stairs then when it built you build the other section on the other level. For example build a downway stairs then once it made go one level down and build a upway stairs on the same spot.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 04:59:00 pm »

Yeah, stairs work in pairs.  (It rhymes.)

Dig an up-stairs on the level below, then dig a down-stairs on the level above.  Up/down-stairs count as both, but are ugly.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 05:10:00 pm »

Took me a while to figure that too. Should probably go in the wiki. By the way, how do I make a ramp down? I only saw upwards ramps in my list...
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Endiqua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2007, 05:12:00 pm »

I think I saw someone else say that an upramp is also a downramp.

Haven't had a chance to test myself but have been reading the forums all day (at work).

DF sets out a challenge to us with no explanation and no assistance, and each time we fail it becomes more merciless, but we continue in the hopes that we can show it, "See?  I'm doing good, right?  I kept the little men alive!  You're proud of me, right?"

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2007, 07:34:00 pm »

To build a ramp down, place a Ramp Up on the level below, immediately below where you want the ramp down to appear.

I don't think it's actually possible to build a ramp inside a mountain from down to up, due to a quirk with the way the game handles ramps, so ironically the Ramp Up is used for building ramps down only.

"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin