Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Contamination situation - is there a solution?  (Read 1634 times)

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Contamination situation - is there a solution?
« on: October 06, 2013, 05:51:22 am »

After skirmish with "Deadly dust" forgotten beast my lovely fort may now see its end.

I get reports from all across the fortress, dorfs get paralyzed and die from suffocation. Is there anything I can do to survive?
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Chaia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Contamination situation - is there a solution?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 06:21:09 am »

Check dwarves which are coated in dust and burrow them somewhere, where they can't reach the other dwarves. Try to avoid any contaminated thing with your dwarves at any cost, maybe you are able to start a new fort in this map with your clean dwarves

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 06:27:55 am »

I don't think checking all dorfs with coating was humanly possible, but I think I've managed to stop spreading by dumping everything around battlefield and those who died from suffocation into magma.

UPD: Spoke too soon - here we die again.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 06:31:51 am by Sirbug »
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 11:24:33 am »

most likely some items got coated with the dust. If your dorfs don't have gloves or mittens or something, they get infected when they pick the item up to dump it. Most likely the gear from your dead militia was covered in the stuff, as were they. Make mittens and gloves, your civilians will pick them up and prevent infection (I hope this is the problem. It's one of the problems I know of).

To purify objects either wash them off with water, destroy them or put them in a safe place
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 12:22:58 pm »

I had to abandon the fort after all, my attempt at quarantine failed. I nobody of my haulers get infected, they all wore gloves, as I bought lots of cloth and made lots of clothing. Problem is that they put contaminated clothes on themselves. Also, there seem to be contaminated ground. I wouldn't be surprised if food was infected as well, considering how many dorfs died while eating.

I couldn't find anyone with coating of dust, like Chaia suggested, but likely they all instantly dropped dead.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 12:38:03 pm »

In the future, you might want to construct a "bathtub" that the dwarves path through while going into and out of the main part of the fortress.

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 01:03:58 pm »

I guess I should.

By now I can only giggle imagining some unfortunate soul to waltz into my fortress and put on contaminated shirt. Shame, it won't actually happen.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »

They need shoes or socks or boots or some other foot covering, or they'll be affected by the poison every time they walk over a covered tile.

I think I've heard that the game doesn't model hands actually touching hauled objects, so gloves don't matter nearly as much as shoes.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 04:52:00 am »

Or use dfhack and use the cleanall command. Problem solved. :)

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 05:44:42 am »

By now I can only giggle imagining some unfortunate soul to waltz into my fortress and put on contaminated shirt. Shame, it won't actually happen.
Why not? Visit your fort in adventure mode and see...