Poll

Should we leave Dumathoin?

Yes.
- 13 (72.2%)
No.
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 97

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Thread closed.  (Read 118168 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - New fortress!
« Reply #1380 on: August 19, 2014, 12:03:05 am »

I suggested contacting shady about finding a good location, has anyone done that? Also yeah that's a bit close.
I would assume t hat gold is claiming everything south of dumathin, and possibly minimum 1k blocks east/west/ maybe north is Titan isn't too close? Edit: that area is about 800 blocks from the edge of dumathoin. which is far enough but doesn't leave you guys any room to expand.
I've checked out my waypoints, places of interest include. From the center of the main hall the south gate is 400 meters away, old dumathoin extends that way about 500 meters, also the magma bridge and significant underground mining goes that way, east old dumathion extends around 300 meters, the rail hub is 200 meters in that direction, north we have the dale gate 150 meters away, also the north west gate and docks are 250 meters away, west is mostly the tunnels near the north west gate, which extenx aaround 200 meters. Alltogether the area dug out by gold is approx 800 meters by about 500. However the rail tunnels extend further than this, mithril mountain is 3.4 km away (the tunnel isn't well developed though, and stoneark is 5.6 km, both north of dumathoin I should add. Titan is only around 1.5 km from dumathoin, so anywhere between dumathoin and titan should be off limits.
Also HUGO, edit that image, you have coords in it. Not that discussing the location of duma in relation to Titan is exactly keeping things secret.
shady just showed me a map of the area, he suggested you guys move to dorvask, which is abandoned and north of dumathoun. But guys, the area you have chosen is equally spaced between neverwhere and dumathoin, it's too close to either really.
I suggest you just join neverwherem, they'll probably let you create your own suburb, west and south of neverwhere is all snow and undeveloped. They have farms and forests nearby too. It's only about 1k blocks west of where you are building.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 12:44:03 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 19, 2014, 12:21:43 am »

How did you get that map? And yeah, I would suggest we dig to the south, west, and southwest.Also that Dumathion agrees to dig to the north, east, and northeast. That's close enough to risk a long tunnel running through one of our walls.
  First off, there are mines under the new place and titan has claimed the north and the east. So the only place dumathoin can mine and expand is in the west and south. This means you just took up the ground that was to eventually be expanded upon. I don't understand why you'd want to do this as this just causes more problems and if you're leaving because we can't work together, why stay so close? It all just ends up leading to more problems.
I don't think we're leaving because we can't work together, it's more like we don't want to usurp your place any more. We'd like to build something big on our own without sidelining someone else's project. At least, that's how I see it.

Anyway, I've been all over Duma's mines, and they do not yet go under the ocean, except for a generated mineshaft (you should probably set up a spider farm there BTW). They are still quite a ways from being under the point where we've set up camp. And if we only dig S,SW, and W of the point where we've started building, that leaves plenty of room for Duma to expand westward along the tract to the North of us, and Southward along the tract to the East of us.

Like so:
+ our claim
= your claim

<======
<======
<+++===
<+++===
 vvvVVV

Unless either of our settlements grows massive in population and geopolitical power (which I find unlikely), there should be enough ore in this area for both settlements. Quite honestly, I think that one day they'll come together to make some kind of unified dwarven nation. I suppose I'll do some more scouting and surveying to make sure, but I think we can still make good neighbors at this distance. And if you still don't like it, well, there's plenty of ice mountains between here and the South Pole. I don't know if there's any more forest, but wheat at least will still grow in ice mountains. We haven't built enough yet to be tied down to this spot.

EDIT: Confirmed that we don't have a mine under us, but there is a tunnel within chat range (So at least 500 blocks?) I've found another spot with similar characteristics at -100,13700. It would be simple at this point to move there.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 01:48:06 am by HugoLuman »
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 19, 2014, 01:51:09 am »

Read my post above.
Neverwhere has offered the possibility of joining their city, perhaps creating a new wing off to one side, this is not far from where you are already building but is further from dumathoin so I highly suggest it.
I'm still negotiating the details with the city.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1383 on: August 19, 2014, 01:57:47 am »

I would prefer out own place, but I'm not against joining Neverwhere.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1384 on: August 19, 2014, 02:05:47 am »

It seems like the main reason we left Duma was to strike out on our own, but if we have decent space to build in, it might be a good idea. Connection to the rail lines, defense, etc. Though again, Duma has most of those as well. Wasn't Neverwhere further North, though?

Anyway, if it comes to it, we could just go to the farthest reaches of -,+. It's mostly just ice mountains that way, but wheat and spruce will still grow.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #1385 on: August 19, 2014, 02:36:38 am »

Has anyone settled in the -,+? It might be best to check first.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Tahu and Gold, I need you to post requests.
« Reply #1386 on: August 19, 2014, 06:40:52 am »

Guys, this might cause a problem in the future:
Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)
We're going to need to make an agreement about mining zones, to prevent disputes when we begin to dig. I believe we should limit our expansion to the South, Southwest, and West, so as not to encroach on Dumathoin's mines.
Point of order: without us, Dumathoin is Population: 1, maybe 2, so I don't see why they own all of that land.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 19, 2014, 06:52:30 am »

Why not mmake the area two cones, both stacked on the other's flat side.  a single wouldn't let us use the whole mountain if facing down' and the other diection would look less spectacular.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 19, 2014, 06:58:58 am »

How the hell did we get twelve people voting Yes on the poll? There aren't even that many people *in* the Bay12 Dumathoin group.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1389 on: August 19, 2014, 07:03:50 am »

So, where are we going? I might try to get there...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1390 on: August 19, 2014, 07:07:42 am »

By my counting we have at least that many, it's just for quite a while the bay12 presence was basically myself, zan and tahu, THOUGH  werdna's been very active since he returned.
There still seems to be resistrance to my idea of joining neverwhere, so I'll just link the map that shady showed me. I'm making some annotations and trimming it down.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You're much closer to Dumathoin than you are to Neverwhere, also note that there is significant construction around the area between the south gate and the center of the main hall. Underground tunnels extend east and south of the south a few hundred meters too.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:05:53 am by MarcAFK »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: August 19, 2014, 07:51:51 am »

shady just showed me a map of the area, he suggested you guys move to dorvask, which is abandoned and north of dumathoun.

Didn't assuming that lead to all this trouble in the first place?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1392 on: August 19, 2014, 07:58:17 am »

shady just showed me a map of the area, he suggested you guys move to dorvask, which is abandoned and north of dumathoun.

Yeah, we should use a semi-empty spot.

Also, does anyone have a link to a current civcraft map? I can't find any online.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: August 19, 2014, 08:07:56 am »

You're right, but that area has actually been absorbed by Titan.

Yeah, we should use a semi-empty spot.

Also, does anyone have a link to a current civcraft map? I can't find any online.
Have a look at the one I just posted. Also a better world map is here: http://txapu.com/
Oh it is blurry as fuck though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:11:51 am by MarcAFK »

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1394 on: August 19, 2014, 08:46:42 am »

I've gotten to the coordinates Darkstar posted. I'm ASSUMING that's the place we're all headed to?

I didn't post the coords; HugoLumen did.

Also, as far as I can see, we either settle here (and then mine south and west) or go east of Duma. Staying has the benefit of not having to move what we've already worked on and the downside of less space; moving has the benefit of a lot of space, but we leave what we worked on and have to travel a long ways.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now
Pages: 1 ... 91 92 [93] 94 95 ... 97