Poll

Should we leave Dumathoin?

Yes.
- 13 (72.2%)
No.
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 97

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Thread closed.  (Read 118178 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders
« Reply #1170 on: August 05, 2014, 11:36:47 pm »

Hey, would anyone mind if I dug out a place on the lowest floor for a 'Hall of Legends' area where we would put statues of leaders, and the time they served in a position?
I support this proposition.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1171 on: August 05, 2014, 11:40:42 pm »

Hey, would anyone mind if I dug out a place on the lowest floor for a 'Hall of Legends' area where we would put statues of leaders, and the time they served in a position?
I support this proposition.

Just for reference, the area I am thinking of converting is that forge-like area that has a branched off enchanting room next to the old market structure.  Could be double purposed as the Temple due to the presence of the enchanting table.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 06, 2014, 07:48:28 am »

Personally I'd like to nominate MarcAFK to the position of king, seeing as he seems to be the most active on here and the Civcraft subreddit.
*coughs annoyedly*
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 06, 2014, 09:40:24 am »

Personally I'd like to nominate MarcAFK to the position of king, seeing as he seems to be the most active on here and the Civcraft subreddit.
*coughs annoyedly*
Hahahaha *maniacal laughing!*
Actually you've been more active than I have lately and are doing well as mayor, do we need a king? Then again dwarf fortress nobles eithe do nothing or actually make things worse, I vote for leaving gold miner as king?
Honestly the only position I want is something work related, but I have failed to put in sufficient effort fir the dome which was my damn idea so I can hardly ask for something like chief architect or whatever...
However I think it would be fitting to be labelled a 'filthy parasite' :p
Baron 'filthy parasite' MarcAFK the dome procrastinator !
Edit: oh about the hall of legends, how about the other side if the main cavern floor, as I recall that side is fairly empty, Perhaps a courtyard or garden or something leading to the opening which stretches into the wall. Or alternatively, a hall of legends along the chasm, perhaps halfway down? Carve out a walkway along the edge with pillars or something along the chasm, start just under the waterfall and carve towards the other end.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:46:03 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 06, 2014, 10:07:53 am »

Edit: oh about the hall of legends, how about the other side if the main cavern floor, as I recall that side is fairly empty, Perhaps a courtyard or garden or something leading to the opening which stretches into the wall. Or alternatively, a hall of legends along the chasm, perhaps halfway down? Carve out a walkway along the edge with pillars or something along the chasm, start just under the waterfall and carve towards the other end.

The Machine room on the other side of the cavern would prevent the ability from being able to expand the hall to proportions where you could fit a decent sized statue in it.

The chasm does have the space, but I personally think a walkway would detract from its appearance by blocking off portions, and the placement seems to be a little out of the way.
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1175 on: August 06, 2014, 10:13:40 am »

Just for reference, the area I am thinking of converting is that forge-like area that has a branched off enchanting room next to the old market structure.  Could be double purposed as the Temple due to the presence of the enchanting table.

You're going to need some decent room to add statues, why not expand into an unused area?  I'd avoid radically changing other people's work if you can help it; those are Goldminer's rooms there that you're talking about.

One cool area I can think of is in the river gorge in the Main Hall; the walls of the gorge are plain.  Some rows of statues down there would be pretty neat.  There is also a huge empty cavern/hall in Old Dumathoin, where two bridges cross with probably 100 blocks of space between them, 25 block high?  I added two wall-dwarf statues there a long time ago, but they can be replaced and there's room for many more.  Third place I can think of is that the top mezzanine level of the main hall is relatively 'unfinished' and could use some eye candy - but check with Tahu and Marc about the dome.  Statues silhouetted against the dome would be pretty cool!

For new folks; Dumathoin is 99% the work of one guy, Goldminer, and while he hasn't played in nearly a year, virtually everyone in power on this server knows that he created it.  Unfortunately he is pretty burnt out on Dumathoin but it'd be nice if we tried to keep it close to his original style.  What he's done is pretty amazing and it inspired two dwarf migrations, so I think we ought to honor his wishes as best we can.  I played with GM for several months and spent a lot of time with him in Mumble, so I have a pretty solid idea of what he was looking for so feel free to ask.

Style-wise within Dumathoin:
- whatever you do must look and feel dwarven (easy for us).  Run around Dumathoin halls for ten minutes and you'll understand the style.
- architecturally, the exterior of whatever you do needs to be mostly cobblestone.  Use stone blocks (or oak) for highlights.  Avoid 'foreign' materials like sandstone, jungle wood, etc.  Avoid using lots of wood; there's a lot of magma in Dumathoin.  Interior of your home can be whatever.
- fill in the empty spaces: avoid radically changing existing rooms and spaces

P.S. Goldminer should remain King, agreed.  I don't care about a position myself, I'm just here to build here and there
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: August 06, 2014, 10:30:33 am »

If anyone's been to stoneark they will see how well stonebrick, cobble and oak logs can look, and personally I think dark oak looks great with cobblestone.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1177 on: August 06, 2014, 11:05:54 am »

You're going to need some decent room to add statues, why not expand into an unused area?  I'd avoid radically changing other people's work if you can help it; those are Goldminer's rooms there that you're talking about.

Two reasons

First, one of the functions of the structure (temple) would be a high traffic area, so it would make sense to put it in the common area, the lowest part of the main hall.

Second, the forge seems to be incomplete, the walls having not been redone in the style of the rest of the fortress and instead remaining plain rock.

One cool area I can think of is in the river gorge in the Main Hall; the walls of the gorge are plain.  Some rows of statues down there would be pretty neat.  There is also a huge empty cavern/hall in Old Dumathoin, where two bridges cross with probably 100 blocks of space between them, 25 block high?  I added two wall-dwarf statues there a long time ago, but they can be replaced and there's room for many more.  Third place I can think of is that the top mezzanine level of the main hall is relatively 'unfinished' and could use some eye candy - but check with Tahu and Marc about the dome.  Statues silhouetted against the dome would be pretty cool!

Complaints of using the gorge are just above your post, the comment about the walkway also applying to using statues on the side.  The chasm isn't all that wide enough to put substantial stuff along the side, in addition to the fact that if we do that, there is no way to know who the statues are dedicated to.

Can't put it in old Dumathoin due to first reason of first response.

Third level is being used as housing.

I can say though, if the machine room hadn't been there, I would have put the temple over there, but it is and due to the hassle of trying to relocate it, the old forge area becomes the only option after looking over the architecture of the hall.

Edit: There might, and I stress, might, be an area between the machine zone and the rail station.  Anyone else online right now?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 11:10:55 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1178 on: August 06, 2014, 01:10:08 pm »

Forge is incomplete because it was one of the last projects (along with the lava windows) that GM was working on before he took a break.  Enough of it is complete though that I think it ought to be finished up, not re-purposed. 

Hmm, 3rd level I was thinking the statues could fill the spaces between the houses.  (Incidentally, the Main Hall was not supposed to have housing for this reason, it was supposed to be a more functional area)

I can't even recall what's between rail and machine room, so that might be fair game.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: August 06, 2014, 01:32:33 pm »

I can't even recall what's between rail and machine room, so that might be fair game.

Absolutely nothing except 2 magma lights.  And between the lights is an open space.

Forge is incomplete because it was one of the last projects (along with the lava windows) that GM was working on before he took a break.  Enough of it is complete though that I think it ought to be finished up, not re-purposed. 

I say we move the enchanting table to the Hall/Temple after it is complete, though.  Make it where priests 'bless' weapons.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 01:34:28 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: August 06, 2014, 02:15:23 pm »

I think I have a good design for the dome now, the corners weren't lining up well with the existing walls, but I think the solution is to use a bigger dome and flatten the edges to get squarer corners . I'll do some significant work on it tomorrow.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: August 06, 2014, 02:19:46 pm »

I did the magma lights, you're welcome to remove them to make room.  They're easy enough to replace.

I guess what I am strongly hinting is that the enchanting table and forge is someone else's work, and not yours to remove.  Why not build your own?  I think leather for books is the one hard part to obtain where we are, but should not be too difficult to purchase. 

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1182 on: August 06, 2014, 06:58:58 pm »

Spoiler: tl;dr (click to show/hide)
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: August 06, 2014, 07:09:35 pm »

Has all the territory on the map already been claimed?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: August 06, 2014, 08:20:03 pm »

Legally, I'm not sure we stand. We're on DATASS territory, but almost none of them know of our existence. For that matter, Dumathoin was here before the UIA. If we made a bid for independence, Shady would probably support us, and maybe Sanwi too; he and GM go way back. On the other hand, there are probably some benefits that go along with UIA membership.

Here's a plan we could use:
Stage 1: Protectorate
Our military is nonexistant right now.  Stage 1 takes care of that by having another nation (probably DATASS) be our defenders.  They would likely want to establish a governor of our cities, so we would want to build a house in Dale (maybe use the fortress on the mountain to the east of Dale?) for him/her.  We would want to make sure we would have the ability to possess our own government and other things.  Diplomacy would be kept to DATASS at this point in time.

Stage 2: Establish a military
Soon after (or before) we would want to establish a local military force.  It would be independent of the DATASS military as a whole, but it can only act in our territories on its own.  A couple members would be sent to the main DATASS military for tours of duty of two week intervals.  If DATASS declares a war, our military should not be obligated to join, but would be required to ask members to volunteer for service in the main military over the course of the war, with some (at least 5 per city) being required to stay behind to guard the cities.

Stage 3: Full Independence
When we have trade routes set up with other cities and a decent military, we would then petition for full fledged independence.  We would take full control of affairs and DATASS military would withdraw.

This might need to be expanded on so we have full idea of what our rights as a protectorate would be, restrictions and all that, but this could be a basis of a plan of action.
Pages: 1 ... 77 78 [79] 80 81 ... 97