Poll

Should we leave Dumathoin?

Yes.
- 13 (72.2%)
No.
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 97

Author Topic: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - Thread closed.  (Read 118280 times)

birdy51

• Bay Watcher
  • Always be Beeping
    • View Profile
Re: Minecraft: Dwarven Invaders - We may get invaded! Help us defend!
« Reply #1065 on: July 12, 2014, 08:48:29 am »

Hmm... Just a thought, but recall that you can always make the mountain bigger. All it takes is strategically placed dirt blocks!
BIRDS.

Also started a Let's Play, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Roses

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:12 am »

I still have your diamonds yeah, they're safer than the unreinforced redstone blocks in your office :p
Seriously reinforce those bastards.
Alright, fine, I reinforced them already. Give me my diamonds.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: July 12, 2014, 11:12:51 am »

Logging on to get the D.
After some prodding from Tahu work has started on the dome, I have placed the top level at 84 using cobble and it looks like the mountain isn't exposed, hooray! Anyone wanting to help can dig out the stone above the cavern below layers 75ish...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:15:16 pm by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: July 13, 2014, 05:42:41 pm »

Logging on to get the D.
After some prodding from Tahu work has started on the dome, I have placed the top level at 84 using cobble and it looks like the mountain isn't exposed, hooray! Anyone wanting to help can dig out the stone above the cavern below layers 75ish...
Yeah, now get back on it!
EDIT: SHIT, someone broke into the vault. My chest, and my chest only, is gone. I think it was goldminer, he was poking around earlier, but still...
DOUBLEEDIT: According to the snitch, it was GoldMiner and TheVanGuardian.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 05:54:58 pm by tahujdt »
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1069 on: July 13, 2014, 06:04:46 pm »

I realize that he built the bloody fort and all, but until he makes reparations, I'm putting a PoS (Pearl on sight) on both of those shits. Just because we moved in while they were gone is no call for a vaultbreak and stealing that much.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: July 13, 2014, 06:27:03 pm »

Well I'm cancelling my plan to make a statue of good miner under the dome now...
Seriously wtf, he's ignored my messages on reddit, has ignored us Ingame And as far as we know literally gave the fort away after leaving, we have permission to be here from the current owners and he has literally asked us for nothing....
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: July 13, 2014, 06:44:25 pm »

Try the mumble server, goldminer never used to use reddit but is always in mumble when playing.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: July 13, 2014, 06:47:56 pm »

Okay, so apparently. GoldMiner broke the vault b/c he'd built it and wanted to get his diamonds out of it, he wasn't responsible for the theft. That was his friend. I'm chatting with him ATM, we'll get this sorted out.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: July 13, 2014, 07:57:13 pm »

Goldminer has been nice and cooperative, and has helped get my shit back. The statue plans are back on, I guess.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: July 13, 2014, 09:00:58 pm »

Cool, glad you guys could work it out.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: July 14, 2014, 12:23:29 am »

I wonder how much D he left in it, because when we came back there was just that stack of 100 DRO....
You know I feel bad for goldminer, he put so much work into the place and then it got abandoned, the break in was just a misunderstanding and probably suggested by his accomplice, is anyone ok with the idea of offering him an olive branch and accepting him back if he wants to return?
I'll be honest I'm no grand architect myself, While I can probably do a great job with the dome it'll take a while and I'll probably need to make a few alterations before I'm happy with it, Speaking of, does anyone object if I change the plans to an oval dome to better cover the main cavern, add some obsidian support arches around the very edges and theres a slight possibility I may need some people living on the top layers to either add or reduce the front of their house.... Sorry Tahu :p
Oh and there seems to be lots of room above the dome, the parts of the mountain that are too low are basically at the corner of the cavern which the top of the dome won't go anywhere near, so I might bump it up to level 87 or so, then we could cram in another layer of Promenade around the perimeter of the dome edge, edged with obsidian arches and the flaming netherrack I wanted in my origonal plans...
I'll alter the Creative part I made to give an idea of what I mean......

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: July 14, 2014, 02:26:50 pm »

I hope you guys can just chalk it up to crossed wires.  Dumathoin (to him) was not abandoned, he's not Bay12 so he was unaware of this thread.  He had hoped to log back in and have his stuff intact.  Dumathoin to you guys was long abandoned, and you were just trying to protect it and add to its legacy.  You had its best interests at heart.

GM is a good guy, he was very upset that his first night back in game he finds that someone busted into his own vault and broke into his chests.  I don't know if tahu's chest was done by Van G on his own, or GM giving him the go-ahead or what, it was a really lame move no doubt.  However, I know the place was abandoned and all, but after reading the Civcraft reddit for the past few weeks it's pretty clear that there really is no such thing as 'abandoned' in Civcraft as people take breaks and come back to the game frequently.  People will always side with the original owner, and virtually everyone that has heard of Dumathoin thinks of it as Goldminer's regardless of who the land claim has currently passed to.  So from GM's perspective, breaking into his vault and his chests was an actionable offense and he only had my word that Bay12 didn't just outright steal his stuff.  I know all three of you are decent guys (Van G however I've never met).  It's unfortunate what happened, but understandable, and hopefully you guys have sorted it out.  There's so few people active, it's a shame if we don't work together.

I have lots to say about Dumathoin and some mixed feelings about GoldMiner returning.  The problem is that he quit because most of his citizens (the originals, plus our first Bay12 settlement wave) had left, and Dumathoin was empty.  He got heartsick of an empty city and was also burnt out, and left.  One of the major reasons (I feel) that Bay12'rs left is that GM had an extremely clear vision of how he wanted Dumathoin to look - but he couldn't really articulate it to anyone, and never got around to delegating how new citizens should fit in or where they could build.  Most of B12 simply popped on and promptly knocked homes into the walls of the main cavern, and he was angry that they did not ask - the main hall was not really meant to be for personal homes and in Civcraft new citizens generally ask permission to do things when they join a city.  But he never got around to actually saying where people could build homes - I personally had to ask him several times where it was ok to set up a place, so that's why my home is in Old Dumathoin.  So that first migration wave petered out - who wants to be a citizen of an awesome fort when you can't find a way to help contribute to it?  GM ended up with a negative impression of us as too may B12'rs came in to sightsee, knock a home in the wall and do a little project without permission, and then never log in again.

GM has a pretty clear vision of what he wanted Dumathoin to look like, and on our own we can't hope to match it.  Personally I'd like to see him included, put in charge such as it is, and encouraged to articulate how we can help work on what he wanted Dumathoin to be.  He wants citizens.  You can't run around in there more than 5 minutes without being amazed at the sheer amount of work that he sank into that place.  But at the same time, I'm a builder, and a casual, and a bit of a loner.  I don't want to log in and have to constantly ask for permission to build something, or be micromanaged.  If he still doesn't want us changing Dumathoin, well then I might be done.  The place is fricking inspired, I want to help to see it expanded and finished and I hope he can at least bless that, but better yet, guide it.  He's been talking about making a new village somewhere else, which is a bit disappointing, but that talk might've been an initial shock to coming back and having lost his stuff.

That's my 2 dwarf bucks.

PS, I love the dome idea, agree it would probably need to be oval to fit the shape of the main cavern, just wanted to comment that it ought to be in cobblestone instead of stone block.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: July 14, 2014, 03:13:46 pm »

So can someone tell me, in brief, the history of this place? When I first joined I thought it had been Bay12 from the start.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: July 14, 2014, 03:58:09 pm »

Crossed wires all around, I was under the impression that the place had been given to jjaagg and that he had given it to FAGT/UIA/Titan. Regardless our intention was always to return anything of value that was looted from any chests in the place, if or when the owners come back, just find out which chests were his and what they contained. I was also under the impression that ryden asked all the residents to clear their stuff out to get the place ready for new people, theres a thread on reddit where he asked Itaqi to clear out of his house to make it available.
If he's planning on building a new city somewhere or wants to come back he has our support, and if he does want to come back we could always move our stuff to a different part of the city :p
Not sure about dale though, it's always been a bit of a obvious indicator that there's stuff around but there is abandoned towns everywhere anyway.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: July 14, 2014, 05:20:22 pm »

Well, this is the tale as I know it.  Goldminer (not Bay12, had the usual issues most people have when intro'd to DF) dug and made virtually all of Dumathoin after his first above ground city, Stoneark, got griefed in the early days of the current map.  He decided to go underground to get away from griefers, and I think the rail is literally built along the lines of his escape route from Stoneark.  He created pretty much 99.9% of Dumathoin that you see today single-handedly as a result, starting in 'Old' Dumathoin and working towards New.  He really loves dwarven stuff - when I mentioned Dale was built adjacent to Dumathoin, he laughed crazily (actually that's the only way he laughs, I think  :) ), since it fits Tolkien lore (but then jokingly complained he'd have to rename Dumathoin to Erebor).  So that is why he is a super isolationist and wanted everything strictly underground, he hates griefers and wants Dumathoin to stay hidden.  The rails he set up were supposed to be kept secret, but some have become public since then (I think he said the Titan/CW rail was his secret private rail to CW, and he was a little upset that it became public, but I might be misunderstanding that).

After he dug out Dumathoin, and a little less than a year ago, someone came here and said check out this shit.  Those incredible pictures spawned the first migrant wave to Dumathoin and was my first visit.  Unfortunately, that only lasted a few months before everyone disappeared, and he got bored and lonely and quit.

This thread is basically the 2nd migrant wave, 9 months or so later.  Only this time the migrant wave arrived while he was long gone, and the place was abandoned with local cities/alliances laying claim.
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 97