Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18

Author Topic: Through the Portal: Fantasy-Scifi Combination *IT'S ALIVE!?*  (Read 11485 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Through the Portal: Fantasy-Scifi Combination
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yes and yep! But every augmentation comes with a drawback, individually. You can get more augmentations if you find someone who can give them. You can also have both kinds of augmentations, biological and mechanical, if you want.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2013, 12:03:18 pm »

Hmm ok I have my concept then just need to figure out what I'm gonna do and what drawbacks will be fitting for them, do bandits exist in this setting btw? My characters immediate goal is to unite the bandit clans.

Would it be possible to begin as the leader of a small clan of augmented bandits?
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2013, 12:08:12 pm »

Hmm ok I have my concept then just need to figure out what I'm gonna do and what drawbacks will be fitting for them, do bandits exist in this setting btw? My characters immediate goal is to unite the bandit clans.

Would it be possible to begin as the leader of a small clan of augmented bandits?

Yep, bandits, raiders, mercenaries, a lot of those types come from our reality to make a quick buck. Most focus on the inhabitants of the fantasy land, since it isn't illegal in our reality, and return home when they have had enough or when they get stabbed to death.

Though I should clarify. You can be the leader of a small clan, with up to two "Party Member" underlings, which have a little weaker then a PC. The rest are simply "minions", easily defeated enemies who usually use numbers. They can rise to the ranks of "Party Member" if one of your party members dies or you level your leadership skills. They get bonuses to your charisma as well.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:12:16 pm by Stirk »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2013, 12:13:15 pm »

Hmm ok.

I'll design the clan then I'd like to begin in our reality to unite the clans before moving on to the fantasy land, I'll leave location up to you just pick whatever place has the largest number of clans in it. Probably warring with each other for control when my little clan arrives.

Now to figure out my augments and my clans, my clan will only be 6-10 people plus me but all augmented though to a lesser degree then myself. So we have low numbers but make up for it by being superior if thats ok with you?

Probably sticking to largely mechanical, I'm going for a kind of cyborg super soldier vibe.

Btw did you have any kind of specific culture in mind when you made this?
Caine's law.
And so, here at the end of days, you are as you’ve always been. Willing to die. Not willing to quit.

Vengeance is mine saith the Lord but this morning. He's going to fucking well have to share.

Is she worth it, would you burn the city to save her? For her, I'd burn the world.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2013, 12:24:50 pm »

Oh, I should probably clarify again. I am eating breakfast right now, so I started typing one thing then finished the sentence with the same general idea but different words. Banditry in our reality is illegal, if you preform it on members of our reality. Thus many people go through the portal and only rob people of the fantasy reality. While there are bandits in our reality, they will probably get shot on sight by any major corporation or military.

Now to figure out my augments and my clans, my clan will only be 6-10 people plus me but all augmented though to a lesser degree then myself. So we have low numbers but make up for it by being superior if thats ok with you?

Fine, instead of two "party members" and minions you can have a bunch of "Elite Minions". They will still be capable of becoming party members, and you can absorb more "minions" if you increase your leadership skills.

Btw did you have any kind of specific culture in mind when you made this?

For our reality, it is just current world cultures set into the future (Space voyages within the solar system are possible, but take months, meaning that more cultures and small countries have shown their heads, so feel free to add your own elements). The fantasy cultures are supposed to be a literally unlimited world with a different culture for every city state and country. This could mean having a Scandinavian viking based city ten miles away from a feudal Japan city, with a city based on 80s America over the next hill, to a completely fictional one another twenty miles away.

The vast distances were a big push to the portal experiments that caused the rift.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 12:29:58 pm »

What's the difference between party members and elite minions?

Ahh ok then just put me in the most heavily bandit populated area in the fantasy world.
Caine's law.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2013, 12:39:04 pm »

Party members are basically NPC PCs, with more fleshed out stats and personalities. If they were with the enemy, they would be the boss character. Elite minions are between a party member and a minion, not cannon fodder but not one man armies. If you were to fight one, it would be like the knight leading a squad of footmen.

If I put it this way, if you got in a fight with it, you would have a difficult fight with a party member one on one, with elite minions at two on one, and with minions at five on one.

I don't think I am doing a very good job explaining this... In terms of points, a PM would be 10, an Elite minion would be 5, and a minion would be 2.

In exact differences, PMs have better stats, are less effected by bleeding, and have better skills. EMs have a little more skill and stats then the minions, as well as bleeding less. Minions are the weakest, with hardly any stats and skills, and often bleed to death after a single good hit, but make up for it in numbers.
Ahh ok then just put me in the most heavily bandit populated area in the fantasy world.

Sure. Would you like it to be against bandits from our reality, fantasy, or both?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:52:42 pm by Stirk »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 12:50:54 pm »

Both please I plan to build little squads of all different sorts of fighters and probably collect up a few special people as party members.

Let me know if my sheet is balanced enough or not, I figure for all these enhancements my minions are as listed below or close to it and Harveys are a little stronger. But thats really up to you to decide.

In essence, my people are encased in power armor, it makes them damned hard to injure ( Up to you how tough the armor is. ), extremely strong. ( Up to you how much I was thinking anything from 2x average human strength for minions and 2.5-3x for Harvey up but your game so whatever you think fits. ) And have superior reflexes. ( Again up to you I went with 2x minion 2.5-3x Harvey.) But they are slower then humans and have 0 possible chance of taking surprise attacks other then long distance sniping which at present is completely impossible because they'd need a sniper augment first.

They have inbuilt Inferno blades and plasma guns. ( Dual of both. ) Inferno blades are basically super heated blades made of a material thats impervious to heat so probably some form of magic metal and the guns can be either high power slow fire rate, low power high rate or have both options. ( Up to you. ) But for beginning with strong weapons they lose the ability to use any weapon not augmented into them. So basically they have hand to hand and those weapons and thats all. If you put a bazooka in there hands it'd be about as useful as a piece of paper. ( Same for Harvey and Minions.

Harvey has enhanced senses allowing him to see and hear better then humans but he completely looses all other senses in exchange and his minions can receive information directly from his brain to theres but have 0 communication ability other then that. In essence it's a kind of closed hive mind. They have the communication ability of a 3 second year old child outside of that link.

If any of thats not balanced let me know and we can work something out.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:52:52 pm by Patrick Hunt »
Caine's law.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 01:16:30 pm »

All acceptable, though there are two small problems (more like questions, really).
- You would have to be glacier-level slow for that to be balanced, I mean like 2 distance a turn (Normal human gets ten, for a random peasant). Is this acceptable? Though this would make moving fluff wise annoying, so I would like to ask if you would like to make this a kind of "toggle" ability. That is, you can put your suits into combat mode or travel mode, were you don't get the bonuses but only get a slight decrease in speed. It would have to take several turns to switch in/out, to keep you from abusing this. Do you think this is acceptable, or do you have your own idea?

-Every armor in this game has a small weak point, were even small weapons are able to do damage if it is aimed there. Do you have a specific spot on your armor you want to make a weak point?

Acceptable, with a little problem-lore wise. While plasma weapons are possible, most of the weapons in our reality are based off of real world weapons, and are mostly kinetic weapons with liquid-propellant. You can keep it if you want, it would just be a little out-of place.

Both interesting and acceptable.

Just one more question, well two more. How can your bandits afford all this 0_0? And if they can pay for all this, why turn to banditry? I expect an answer in the bio~.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 01:20:40 pm by Stirk »

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2013, 01:25:42 pm »

They didn't pay for it, they captured a caravan owned by a group who carry out augmentation and that group carried out the augmentation in exchange for being set free rather then murdered and robbed.

No problem just change it to shoulder mounted kinetic weapons.

Hmm, the weak point would be a small point on the throat on the front of the armor where the armor where theres a small port that can be opened to allow in fresh air so the armor is thinner though it can't be seen from the outside.

A travel mode is fine as well, how many turns would it take to activate it? 2 or would it be 3? Several is a little subjective so I thought I better ask in advance :). But it's fine either way.
Caine's law.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 01:30:18 pm »

Four. That is about eight seconds, probably realistic. Plus, it gives you a more clear weakness, "Cant sneak, vulnerable to sneaky enemies" kind of thing.

Alright, now you just have to fill out the character sheet and we can get started.

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 01:31:46 pm »

Already filled. It's back on page 1 in my original post. Just waiting on your bits.
Caine's law.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 02:07:40 pm »

Alright, didn't see it there. If everything is acceptable, then it is time to start!

------------------------------

You have been in this strange fantasy land for about a week. You haven't seen anything more then scorched earth for the first half, though the second half has given away to forest. Maybe you would already be there if you were not so slow....

It was by chance that you heard of it. The portal, the country. You just happen to raid other raiders coming in for supplies when you heard the information. A new world, with no laws, and gold as far as the eye can see. They said they were heading for Muisca, a land were gold was as plentiful as lead in our world. You took their money and their maps, and decided to go on a journey yourself. 500 Euros and a month to get to the portal, a thousand dollars to go through it. You had to promise one tenth of your loot once you got back, if you did made it back. It wasn't cheap getting here. And you still hadn't found your target.

Your team continues to climb the small mountain, the sound of your suits echoing through the forest, sending birds flying. Your group is about to make it to the top, when suddenly information is sent directly into your brain. Your group sees it, the target that you have been waiting for.

In the valley below you, there is a large castle, with impossibly high white walls. Even from this distance, you can see the shining of gold and silver from within, an oyster and a pearl.

But you are not the only predator attracted to this prey. Several other camps can be seen. Green, military like tents, tall teepees, fur coated trees, steel boxes.... the list goes on and on.

What do you do now?

Patrick Hunt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »

Strength: 8 (4)
Dexterity: 2 (~1)
Reflexes: 6 (3)
Intelligence: 3
Charisma: 1 (4)

Can you tell me what the numbers in the () Mean before I do my first move? Just to make sure I understand it clearly.
Caine's law.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 02:19:57 pm »

Real value, without the augmentation bonus/malus. So in combat mode, it is 8, in traveling, it is 4. Charisma, for example, is naturally 4, but gets a malus down to 1 when used of others not within your hive mind. Is that clear?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 18