Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98478 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - Babies, battles and buzzards!
« Reply #765 on: January 13, 2014, 02:57:36 pm »

I'd be alright with us making something like chainmail, or lighter armor bits out of adamantine.  Plate armor seems a little bit too dwarfy for humans.  Swords I could see, maybe not so much axes.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: January 13, 2014, 02:59:07 pm »

I'd be alright with us making something like chainmail, or lighter armor bits out of adamantine.  Plate armor seems a little bit too dwarfy for humans.  Swords I could see, maybe not so much axes.

How is plate armor too dwarfy? Humans have made use of that for... Crap, even when firearms came around, or at least plate body armor was still common place.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: January 13, 2014, 03:06:12 pm »

How is plate armor too dwarfy? Humans have made use of that for... Crap, even when firearms came around, or at least plate body armor was still common place.

It's not so much the plate armor, more the plate armor made from an invulnerable substance.  Hey if you guys want the plate, I'd be fine with it. 

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: January 13, 2014, 03:13:07 pm »

It's not so much the plate armor, more the plate armor made from an invulnerable substance.  Hey if you guys want the plate, I'd be fine with it.

We're pioneers man! We're going where nobody has gone before! Or at least humans in this world anyway because they got the snot kicked out of them.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: January 13, 2014, 08:18:49 pm »

Journal of Grim

7th Hematite
I have told the miners to begin gathering the rock they found. It appears to be some kind of ore, though I'm not very familiar with metals. In any case I have put in an order for charcoal, our forges ran out of coke not long ago.

9th Hematite
I was strolling past the south wall with Splint and our child when one of the Elk Birds snapped at us from its cage. I was shocked by how many we have, I think I'm going to have most of them slaughtered for meat and to free up the cages.

13th Hematite
Splint... Splint named his shield. This is not in itself a weird occurrence, indeed it has happened here before... but the name he chose... Saintnoses the Living Mortification... Really?

18th Hematite
A kobold thief attack a glazer. Stabbed him in the head. We avenged his death.

19th Hematite
I have had a restraint placed in the second floor of the northwest tower, I intend to use it to hold prisoners for... interrogation.

23rd Hematite
The citizens responsible for managing out farms told me that the stockpiles were overflowing with food, meat and crops were going to waste, rotting in the fields and butchers shops. When I asked what they could do they suggested that cooking several items into meals would help. To this end I asked the miners to clear some space by the food pile.

8th Malachite
I had our captive troll brought to the restraint today, told Highmax to dispose of it as he saw fit. He sent Blackflyme to deal with the brute.

Blackflyme did well.

14th Malachite
The weaponsmith came to me today bearing a spear made of shining blue metal. He claims it is made from the rock we found deep underground. It is so light, almost like wielding air given form. I will carry this into battle, I feel a resonance with the weapon. As if it were part of me.

I asked the smith if we had any of the metal left. He smiled and said we  had a good supply. He has agreed to make weapons for our other soldiers. I would like to see the beasts defeat us when we all bear weapons made of this air-metal.

22nd Malachite
One of our glassmakers has rushed into our furnaces snatching items as he ran.

12th Galena
The vile Beakwolves are upon us once again! Well we shall see how they like the thrust of my new weapon.

16th Galena
The wolves have been driven off once more, though a pack of them caught a civilian straggling to return to town. His death has been repaid a dozen times over, though we still mourn.

20th Galena
I have had a tower built into the southwest wall. It will serve as a post for archers to overlook our gates, and acts as a barrier to stall the creatures of the deeps from reaching the surface. I have assigned our newest squad of soldiers to hold the main floor.

24th Galena
The glassmaker has at last finished his works, crafting a glass portal of wondrous make for the glory of our town.

14th Sandstone
Many of us now bear weapons of the air-metal. It is so sharp, and effortless to swing. Highmax and Blackflyme spar at speeds that hurt the eye to watch now.

I have had a new workshop built into the south wall. It will produce soap from the vast stocks of tallow that have come out of the kitchens in the past weeks.

19th Sandstone
HissnhWalnuts has named his shield Waddledfame the Artifial Worhsipper. I swear there is some madness that afflicts us all. Though I have felt much better since taking the lead of our people again, perhaps all I needed was a few fights to ease my stress from our founding year.

19th Timber
Another wretched kobold died by our weapons. Highmax severed its arms before splitting its skull.

6th Moonstone
An armourer has been taken by a mood, he rushes to and fro clutching a thin bar of air-metal in his hands, cloth, logs and glass follow as he runs to the forge.

Though my time has been spent sparring and my journal has lain ignored I was prompted to pick it up when informed that the armourer had finished his masterpiece, a pair of air-metal leggings. Chainmail light as a breeze and stronger than iron. Splint now wears them, as our finest warrior I could think of none more suitable or deserving than he.

3rd Obsidian
A Werebeast was seen fighting a flock of ravens, by the time we arrived on the scene it had turned into a tigerman and fled from us.

16th Obsidian
Beakwolves. Why do the wretches constantly try my patience? I do not have the time for the foolish animals. We shall seal the gates and let them hunt rats outside our walls.

19th Obsidian
The idiocy of the beasts astounds me. One of their pack leaders stumbled into a weapon trap filled with scavenged items, injuring its stomach, two more promptly followed it into the trap. The rest immediately began to flee in terror from the weapons that came from the ground. Of an entire horde of the things, just two died while the rest ran like rabbits.

While I feel like I could rule here for the rest of my days now I am aware that something of a tradition has arisen here. No one has ruled for more than a year at a time, and we need traditions to bind us together in these times. I will step down, and allow another to take my place.

I think I can feel a headache coming on... Maybe I should go spar some more, or maybe see if we have any prisoners left...

Well, my turn is finished. Built a few houses, made some candy weapons, added a few workshops and built an archery tower. Otherwise not much happened, though I'm surprised we haven't gotten any invaders other than beakwolves. If all else fails forceevent siege should bring us a nice challenge to cleave. Most of the dorfed military have candy weapons. Didn't see a caravan this year for some reason, nor a second group of migrants I think. Didn't mention it in the journal but I added a leather stockpile to the leather crafting building along the north wall, we had 31 Beakwolf leather when I did that, made most of it into bags and shoes.

I'll have the save up tomorrow as well as adding some screenshots to this and the previous entry.

EDIT: Save is now up, http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8319
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 10:11:26 am by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: January 16, 2014, 11:26:04 pm »

Does this mean the save broke itself again? :o
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: January 17, 2014, 01:19:24 am »

Sorry, didn't notice it

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: January 17, 2014, 03:01:57 am »

Please slab Timeless Bob - the poor drunken fool...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: January 17, 2014, 07:10:07 am »

Please slab Timeless Bob - the poor drunken fool...

Uh, you aren't dead, you're a child so you stay in the daycare burrow in the tavern safely out of harms way.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: January 17, 2014, 02:19:35 pm »

[confused]Oh - so it was another Timeless Bob who got filled full of gob arrows?[/confused]

...Daddy! Daddy! I had a terrible nightmare!  I was playing on one of the walls, watching our masterful warriors reap the goblinite, just like usual, when the goblinite got mean and shot nasty pointy arrows into me and it hurt!  Daddy, why are goblinite so mean?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:26:50 pm by Timeless Bob »
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: January 17, 2014, 03:21:53 pm »

[confused]Oh - so it was another Timeless Bob who got filled full of gob arrows?[/confused]

...Daddy! Daddy! I had a terrible nightmare!  I was playing on one of the walls, watching our masterful warriors reap the goblinite, just like usual, when the goblinite got mean and shot nasty pointy arrows into me and it hurt!  Daddy, why are goblinite so mean?

What goblins? We've only had beakwolves here. And there are no Timeless Bobs in the dead list of the fort, have you gotten threads mixed up and posted about your death in the wrong one perhaps?
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: January 17, 2014, 04:24:30 pm »

Bob does has kind of shown up in every recent fort. :P  It's possible that eventually all of his consciousnesses will combine and he will become the Scion to lead our people to the promised fort.  Or something like that.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: January 17, 2014, 04:32:47 pm »

If memory serves Bob always asks to be dorfed/humanised as a child, so I'd be fairly surprised if any of his incarnations ever live long enough to grow up and begin to combine into a gestalt.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: January 17, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »

I'm on my phone right now but my 2 cents on steel is to give humans the same recipe but to represent not being as adept as dwarves, human steel isn't as effective (still better than bronze or iron but not as good as vanilla steel.)

MuDD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: January 18, 2014, 02:37:43 am »

Posting to continue watching, heh. As well as request humanizing as a Sword/Spearman named Fergus.
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53