Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98583 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - Now with migrants!
« Reply #600 on: November 30, 2013, 11:03:50 am »

We'll probably get small waves of around 7 to ten people now, I doubt we'll get more than that a wave which means we'll still need to be careful. A small bit of influx per season is good; more workers in case we want to actually build stuff, additional animal tamers (a must for our cavern animal domestication plans,) and maybe even eventually a part time auxiliary force to back our heavy hitters, but we can't go and get careless because these extra people will still be in small numbers.

Plus there's the benefit of a larger number of people to make babies.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: November 30, 2013, 11:43:21 am »

We'll probably get small waves of around 7 to ten people now, I doubt we'll get more than that a wave which means we'll still need to be careful. A small bit of influx per season is good; more workers in case we want to actually build stuff, additional animal tamers (a must for our cavern animal domestication plans,) and maybe even eventually a part time auxiliary force to back our heavy hitters, but we can't go and get careless because these extra people will still be in small numbers.

Plus there's the benefit of a larger number of people to make babies.
Babies are irrelevant now that we get regular migrants. The thing with the animal tamer is it can be anyone, even if there is no skill. It's not like appraiser where you need it but can get it without caravans and etc. and THAT is why before migrants was a great challenge
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: November 30, 2013, 11:45:25 am »

Fine, I won't argue that I ruined something since clearly everyone is suddenly expendable even with only 31 people.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: November 30, 2013, 11:56:14 am »

I'm going to agree with Splint on this one, the game would have progressed far too slowly with only the few humans we had.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: November 30, 2013, 01:24:30 pm »

I'm going to agree with Splint on this one, the game would have progressed far too slowly with only the few humans we had.

Well the whole premise of it before was that we were alone against everything and that every loss would've been monumental.  Now if we lose someone, we wait a couple of months and we've got a replacement.

That being said, whoever designed the top levels did a fantastic job for only 20 people at the time.  I'll get started on it today, but I've got a paper to work on as well so I'll be on and off for a couple of days.

On another note, the multi-tasker was actually Firecrazy.  Also, we have a High Master Cheese Maker running around.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: November 30, 2013, 01:30:59 pm »

Well now we have a whopping 31 if memory serves, and the migrant waves have been really small. And I think the cheese maker is Cudal. Am I right?

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: November 30, 2013, 01:39:13 pm »

Well now we have a whopping 31 if memory serves, and the migrant waves have been really small. And I think the cheese maker is Cudal. Am I right?
Yep, Cudal is the Cheese Maker.  And actually we have 38, still manageable.

Journal of Karkov

Well, today's been an interesting day.  I was off doing my usual task of making giant boulders into some blocks when Splint slammed into my workshop.  Not accustomed to watching my compatriots fly into my workshop, I was rather confused.  Seemed he was having a bit of a sparring session with Grim, and had been thrown rather unceremoniously through the building.  He looked up at me rather bleary eyed, asked me if I was busy.

"Well, I've been making these blocks for god knows how long, otherwise no."

"Good, today's the first of Granite, you're in charge now."

"I'm what?"

And with that, he takes off again, leaving me in a stupor and wondering what the hell I'm going to do.  Someone ran up to me about fifteen seconds later and tells me that Blackflyme just killed a buzzard by biting off it's leg.  Oh gods, what am I in for?

OOC:  Seriously, the first damn thing that happens is BlackFlyme eats a buzzard.  I'm not worried about our military might, I'll tell you that.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 01:58:38 pm by Karkov »

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: November 30, 2013, 01:49:29 pm »

Still not that much really and three of those are worthless sponges I mean the next generation.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: November 30, 2013, 03:39:10 pm »

And this is why the migrants change everything. In bloody age, you wouldn't even insult children cause you hope they grow up and become useful. It changes the mindset, and it makes you actually WANT to not do anything rash, always being careful with all projects. You're not going to make an orbital magma cannon unless you're excellent with pump stacks, a giant hammer that bashes your enemies won't be built unless you're a good architect in DF and etc.

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: November 30, 2013, 04:09:00 pm »

I insult them regardless, however I'm always viciously protective. They might be useless sponges but damn it they are our useless sponges! Also if there's only us and kobolds from vanilla races, I realized we don't need to worry about snatchers making off with kids. Still gotta watch out for them getting injured or killed though, because if something bad happens not only are we set back however old the kid was, here their parents might flip shit and take it out on everyone around them dwarf style.

And given our most likely parental candidates, I don't wanna know what Highmax or Grim for example would do to the place if they had even a small tantrum.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: November 30, 2013, 04:19:03 pm »

I insult them regardless, however I'm always viciously protective. They might be useless sponges but damn it they are our useless sponges! Also if there's only us and kobolds from vanilla races, I realized we don't need to worry about snatchers making off with kids. Still gotta watch out for them getting injured or killed though, because if something bad happens not only are we set back however old the kid was, here their parents might flip shit and take it out on everyone around them dwarf style.

And given our most likely parental candidates, I don't wanna know what Highmax or Grim for example would do to the place if they had even a small tantrum.
Which is why I'm glad in bloody age you didn't have a kid

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: November 30, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »

Journal of Karkov:

Since leadership has passed to me, or what passes for leadership anyway, I've been looking over what we need.  The most pressing issue is housing for all of these new stragglers that've shown up in the past year.

I went ahead and designated the construction of another level to our apartment complex, that should take a while to finish, but we have a lot of extra hands around to use.  I went ahead and had them chop down some of the trees growing in front of the entrance to turn into blocks.

Our exploration into the cavern has been mainly to capture a ton of these "Elk Birds."  I decided we could use a bit of an outpost down there, so I went ahead and told the miners to clear a space out for future use.  I also ordered some walls built so we could go ahead and close it off from regular wildlife wandering through.

I'm not quite certain what happened, but apparently the stairs on the cavern level became down only, instead of the usual up and down, so a couple of our number were actually stuck in the caverns with nothing to do for a while, I was wondering why our manager couldn't access his perfectly fine office.

13th of Granite, 196.  Grim has given birth to a son!  While she was sparring with her husband.  I'm utterly confused, but she seems fine and there's no way I'd be able to stop her.  Today we welcome Athra Joytreaties to the fort!

« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 06:59:11 pm by Karkov »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: November 30, 2013, 07:11:47 pm »

Journal of Grim

13th Granite 196

I gave birth today. Was rather surprised truth be told. Splint asked me what we'd call him, I decided on Athra Joytreaties. I decided to get back to sparring but it's rather difficult to hold my spear, shield and son all at the same time. I really should speak to the others about setting up a creche or something. Maybe later, for now I have training to do. When I don't train I feel... Watched.

So I've only gone and spurted out a sprog have I? Well we'd best see to it that the wee lad does alright. I propose we establish a nursery burrow to stick children in that keeps them away from the main gate. Hmm, wouldn't mind some kind of custom profession for the wee fella seein' as he's the son of the founder. Pride is a fault of mine and I'd like to see the first child born to my character stand out.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: November 30, 2013, 07:36:09 pm »

OOC:  Seriously, the first damn thing that happens is BlackFlyme eats a buzzard.  I'm not worried about our military might, I'll tell you that.

I told you that if I ever got my hands on one of those damned things I'd be putting it on a spit.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: November 30, 2013, 08:17:54 pm »

Journal of Grim

13th Granite 196

I gave birth today. Was rather surprised truth be told. Splint asked me what we'd call him, I decided on Athra Joytreaties. I decided to get back to sparring but it's rather difficult to hold my spear, shield and son all at the same time. I really should speak to the others about setting up a creche or something. Maybe later, for now I have training to do. When I don't train I feel... Watched.

So I've only gone and spurted out a sprog have I? Well we'd best see to it that the wee lad does alright. I propose we establish a nursery burrow to stick children in that keeps them away from the main gate. Hmm, wouldn't mind some kind of custom profession for the wee fella seein' as he's the son of the founder. Pride is a fault of mine and I'd like to see the first child born to my character stand out.

Sure, I'll stick him with "Son of a Founder" or some such.  Nursery burrows wouldn't be too bad, but would it be underground or in an above ground structure?  I'm gonna make an add-on to the tavern or something, that should do.

EDIT: Alright, so, I'm done with that bitch of a paper that I've been having looming over my shoulders for the past 2 weeks.  Really thought my turn would either come earlier or later when I signed up.  Anywho, now that that's done, I'm probably going to play through either most or all of my year tomorrow, and write up everything when I get home.

Expect me being done with my turn in the next day and a half or so.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:57:44 am by Karkov »
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 53