Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98647 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #525 on: November 24, 2013, 02:19:24 am »

16th Slate, 195

Grim is one hell of a multi-tasker. She was actually able to hold a coherent meeting with the so-called treasurer while we were sparring.

25th Slate, 195

Those fellows who visited are packing up and shoving the hell off. Maybe we'll see'em again next year. Doubtful though, but still might as well set up a more presentable depot area.

20th Felsite, 195

Fodientum came in from a tree chopping run covered in blood. We all freaked out because we thought it was his, but then he told us he'd stumbled upon a kobold. It's dead now.

24th Felsite, 195

Refreshing change of pace from constant flocks of either ravens or buzzards. Big group of white storks flew through the area.

26th Felsite, 195

Highmax's wife went and popped out a boy today!

We aren't all that surprised. She's been showing for quite some time now. She was pretty blitzed from a party we had yesterday to celebrate trading, and by that I mean she was out cold this morning until the birth, after which she promptly passed out again.

3rd Hematite, 195

Gonna get all the cats hemmed in watching over the food and honey storage. Stupid things keep running all over the area chasing bugs.

11th Hematite, 195

I told Grim we should take a breather so she could finish up with the treasurer. She wasn't too happy of course, since she didn't exactly have much in the way of skills besides soldering, but I figured it'd be for the best. We can always spar more later.

15th Hematite, 195

They said that if they manage to make it back, they'll pay handsomely for weapons, specifically swords and crossbows. I doubt we'll see them again but one can hope.

21st Hematite, 195

Some kind of  freakish.... Iguana-man? Has been seen making all manner of strange noises and chasing buzzards. I told Grim to grab her spear and follow me. Whatever it is, I'm sure Grim and I will be more than a match for it.

22nd Hematite, 195

Damned thing ran off before we could catch it.

28th Hematite, 195

Put in an order for some weapons, I figure since Highmax's son has been born and that treasurer left, someone or something will come and try to take him. With that in mind, we're setting up some traps by the corners of the walls outside to discourage the curious.

11th Malachite, 195

Stupid raven spooked Maskwolf. Armory's just about finished it seems. I'll need to ask Highmax which floor was for what things.

15th Malachite, 195

We saw a group on the horizon while we were trying to clean up the mess we left from moving the depot over. Refugees. Weather beaten, tired, had some tools in poor condition. Said they'd been hiding on the outskirts of the old capital when they met some passing scavengers who were heading in to pick over the remains for goods and heard about Bridgestreams. Hathur asked me to write down their names for his records.

Omba Twilightcages, Female, Waxworker/Soaper
Alu STablevalleys, Female, Brewer
Kopka Practicemopped, Female, Clothier
Galka Springcamp, Male, Thresher
Fel Munchwilted, Male, Accomplished Armorsmith/Archer
Upek Tonguecrux, Female, Trader/Glassmaker
Quistra Quicknesswhipped, Male, Highmaster Surgeon and Wound Dresser. Evidently he escape the burning of the kingdom's university; he'll be a great asset to the community. He also evidently brought to children with him. Says he adopted them after thier parents died in an attack by one of our kingdom's enemies.
Ade Lucidtired, Female, Five years old
Gospo Subtlespeaks, Male, One year old
Edu Hazywealth, Male, Glazer
Last was Cango Burnedhearth, Male, Woodcrafter/Pikeman.

I'll need another sheer of paper to copy that down and give to Hathur. We took them in and now just need to find work for them to do in between getting to know everyone else. Can't go and turn our desperate countrymen away.

Quistra appears to be an adoptive father of both kids, who are evidently of different parents as they aren't listed as siblings and Quistra has no spouse. We're now at 31 survivors of our Kingdom. No doubt we'll get hit by someone soon.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 24, 2013, 09:27:00 am »

Well, looks like you force scripting the caravan has made the game think there's a functional city somewhere out there. Maybe it's drawing on the population the civ has from bandit members. I don't think it can just conjure population from thin air after all.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 24, 2013, 11:16:44 am »

Well, looks like you force scripting the caravan has made the game think there's a functional city somewhere out there. Maybe it's drawing on the population the civ has from bandit members. I don't think it can just conjure population from thin air after all.
GODDAMNIT SPLINT YOU BROKED IT!  :P
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 24, 2013, 11:36:54 am »

Actually most of the migrants were essentially on the spot generated ones meaning that there is a semi-functioning population somewhere, but we got an accomplished weaponsmith who is also a skilled bowman, and one hell of a surgeon from that plus now we should be getting attacked by one of the weaker races.

Or at least i hope we get attacked by a weaker race first.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 24, 2013, 11:59:25 am »

Actually most of the migrants were essentially on the spot generated ones meaning that there is a semi-functioning population somewhere, but we got an accomplished weaponsmith who is also a skilled bowman, and one hell of a surgeon from that plus now we should be getting attacked by one of the weaker races.

Or at least i hope we get attacked by a weaker race first.
I think the whole "last bastion of mankind" just ended. Sailed here from another landmass perhaps?

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 24, 2013, 12:01:06 pm »

Perhaps they were more survivors.  Or perhaps there is another continent we have yet to explore, where humanity yet endures.  My best guess as to why it happened is that there is some small town somewhere that survived, and most of the migrants were pulled from the entity population that still exists.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 24, 2013, 12:15:35 pm »

They're all very much on the spot. There is a functioning population somewhere though, since dead civs don't give a "your dirt hole attracted no meatshields this year" message. Maybe bandits, maybe simply people from another region/island, or perhaps subjugated members somewhere. As I recall there's nothing to stop Fortress Defense races from enslaving populations.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 24, 2013, 12:23:35 pm »

Either slaves or bandits for certain. I personally suspect bandits as when I abandoned in a copy to check legends mode the humans fled to join some group, I forget what it was called.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure theirs!
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 24, 2013, 12:25:11 pm »

That makes for excellent story opportunities, I'd say.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 24, 2013, 12:26:12 pm »

They're all very much on the spot. There is a functioning population somewhere though, since dead civs don't give a "your dirt hole attracted no meatshields this year" message. Maybe bandits, maybe simply people from another region/island, or perhaps subjugated members somewhere. As I recall there's nothing to stop Fortress Defense races from enslaving populations.
Splint, it says it every time in Volcanic Musical Chairs and Bloody age, and both have dead civs... It ALWAYS says it

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 24, 2013, 12:36:17 pm »

And that's because there's no monarch to assign a liaison who is responsible for reporting stuff. I'll be honest, the main reason I tried the damned script was to get us reported to the world so someone would take a swing at us. Sitting on our asses with nothing to do due to a lack of workers is frustrating.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 24, 2013, 12:48:47 pm »

And that's because there's no monarch to assign a liaison who is responsible for reporting stuff. I'll be honest, the main reason I tried the damned script was to get us reported to the world so someone would take a swing at us. Sitting on our asses with nothing to do due to a lack of workers is frustrating.
They'll take a swing after you hit a certain wealth and population.

The simple solution was make more babies. And since we're above ground, it's harder to get that extra architecture wealth, plus we haven't dig deep enough for precious ores if I recall

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 24, 2013, 12:52:09 pm »

Still, now we have the population and everyone and their uncle knows we're here.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 24, 2013, 01:23:31 pm »

Still, now we have the population and everyone and their uncle knows we're here.

I just hope it was only one migrant wave, or else it's just another succession fort with no twists :-\

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 24, 2013, 02:20:49 pm »

So playing as (mostly) vanilla DF humans and living above ground with little to no support aside from one random caravan that probably won't make a reappearance isn't a twist?
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 53