Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98641 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #240 on: October 20, 2013, 05:44:32 pm »

I think Governor works for humans better than lord does. My racial titles are:

Overseer: Dwarf
Governor: Human
Pointy Eared Scunner: Elf
Warlord: Goblin
Xgdhakiu: Kobold

EDIT: Wow there is a lot of votes for warrior nobles.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 06:06:54 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: October 20, 2013, 06:11:48 pm »

It's fitting. They do little else so why not make them fight for the right to boss everyone around? I'd be far more accommodating to mandates and such if that noble just massacred a goblin attack alone.

I also used it for one of the custom human cultures for a mod I'm working on. I can inform the curious via PM.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: October 20, 2013, 06:12:20 pm »

It's the overseer of a mine (dwarves) and lord over an area or kingdom. That's how I see it
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 20, 2013, 09:08:21 pm »

DISCOVERED A WAY AROUND THE HIGHMAX BUG!

Make a squad with a custom uniform. Though I will be wearing a little more then normal, I will be using all the gear I require... Plus, its an axeman only squad (and odes anyone know if long swords are versatile? Like you can hold in one hand and dual wield with an axe?)

Expect updates soon!

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 20, 2013, 10:34:12 pm »

2nd of Granite, 194: Breaking up the Party
As soon as I sound the horn to get everyone to work, almost no one responds. I go into the tavern and I see everyone PARTYING... I told them if they don't start working, I'm going to let the goblins get to them. Not many of them replied to this... Oh well, let them have their fun. I ordered out a second layer of mine a little deeper then the last one. Not much deeper however. I'm getting some more wood cut for our huts and hoping we find some iron in our mines. We could use some decent gear as well, and I'm hoping we can find ways to get steel after we're here for long. I know we're the only humans left, so there's no help for us at all... But I recall in stories about a dwarven colony that had the same issue as we did, and they succeeded in prospering. But they were erased from legends after the Jotun-Dwarf wars where both suddenly cease to exist. But those are just fairy tales, and only Humans existed with monsters in this world, right? But if we take the similar ideas that they did, we could last ages. And besides, dwarf craftsmanship is legendary amongst us, even their novices besting our greatest craftsmen and smiths. But enough talk about stories, we got lots of work on our hands! First, we gotta break up the tavern party!

24th of Granite, 194: Progress!
Well, the party broke up and everyones working hard now. The mines are revealing lots of mudstone and a LOT of gems. Hopefully, we can find some ores other then tetrahedryte. Copper can only help for so long. So we're constantly cutting up wood for planks, so this is helpful. If we're lucky, we can get a few huts built before the spring is over

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 20, 2013, 10:56:07 pm »

9th of Slate, 194: Damned Buzzards!
Just discovered Buzzards are harassing our people today. Turns out they stole fish and meat from us! We need a trained archer squad eventually to deal with these winged bastards... I also have given a use for that ridiculous number of bones we have; bone arrows! When we have an archer squad, we shall have lots of ammo for them to practice with! I also added a couple more stockpiles. I've also had a slight idea of adding basements to some of our buildings for storage. Also, I was thinking some of our stocks get put INDOORS. I really do believe we should have an armoury of some sort near the towers so they can have quick access to weapon supplies. I also noticed we have A LOT of mugs... Why do we have so many? Theres more mugs then there are PEOPLE. Even if the tavern never cleaned them for a week, we'd still have quite a few unused mugs leftover! I also noticed we need to make some new clothing, especially because people are dropping torn apart clothing there... Wonderful...

As for me and the physician in the "mingling" session? Well... To but it nicely, its going well... To tell you the truth, nothing is happening yet. We're already friends but I can't seem to get any better. The year is still young, and we got PLENTY of time to go through with this... Hopefully this works out, because, to be honest, the physician is very fair. Her dark blue eyes are beautiful as is her long brown hair... Maybe its because I haven't said anything to her about how she looks? Or how I feel? Nah... Can't be that...

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 21, 2013, 12:26:13 am »

Humans with long-swords in a warrior-noble caste living in houses made of wood... sounds like Feudal Japan.  here were four tiers to society:

The Shogun and the Emperor (who was mostly just a puppet).

The Daimyo: Powerful warlords and the most powerful rulers under the Shogun.
                   Within their province they had complete military and economic power.

The Samurai: The Daimyo armies were made up of Samurai warriors.
                    Samurai worked under Daimyo, but they had additional privileges and held a higher
                    social status than common people. These privileges included being able to have
                    a surname, a family crest, and carry two swords.

The Peasants: Composed about 88% of the entire population, there were several sub-classes:
   1)Highest ranking: Farmers who owned their own land
   2) Farmers who do not own their own land
   3) Craftsmen (AKA "artisans") who worked with wood and metal
   4) Merchants (because it was felt they made their living off of other people's work,
       merchants only became wealthy after the use of currency became widespread.)
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 21, 2013, 01:04:15 am »

Buzzards... our most hated foe...

Seriously they killed a citizen in the first year by means of infected head wound. I think what we really need to stop them is to get someone trained as a hunter. Problem is hunters die a lot and we can't really spare anyone.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 21, 2013, 02:57:49 am »

Trained falcons, crows or owls would do the trick - have them scope out invaders too.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 21, 2013, 03:10:12 am »

Trained buzzards! We will use trained buzzards to defeat their own wicked kind!

EDIT: Decided to write a journal entry.

Has it really been a year since I last wrote in these pages? Since stepping down from the position of leadership it seems as if my life has become nothing but practice sessions, sweat, the clash of spear upon armour and the oblivion of sleep. I dare say that my skill with the spear exceeds all but the greatest of our peoples ancient legends.

Splint has decided to step down from leadership at the turning of winter into spring. Highmax has offered to take the reigns for the time being and we gladly accepted his willingness to shoulder the burden. Though I've seen him making eyes at a certain physician and I can't help but wonder how much his mind is on the task at hand.

The local buzzard flock has once again decided to test our defenses, though with the changes Splint made during our reign our food is now far beyond their reach.

There is something troubling me however. When I sleep it is no longer with the confidence of my earlier dreams and lofty goals. I feel something dark and terrible, mighty beyond imagining watching us. I feel its amusement, its eagerness for blood and battle, and in the corners of my sleeping mind I see bloody feathered wings. I do not know what this means but I fear for us. I fear for all of us.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 05:09:20 am by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 21, 2013, 05:27:25 am »

Oh dear god. The mugs.

Be wary Lord Highmax, because as Spearbreakers has taught me, it is a slippery slope with mugs.

EDIT: Longswords can be used one-handed yes, but you can't take a shield then if you want to be able to fight properly.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 21, 2013, 05:52:16 am »

I forgot I made mugs. I had them made in the hope of attracting a higher number of migrants per wave. Feel free to smash them or make a mug shrine in Spearbreakers honour if you wish.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 21, 2013, 08:29:04 am »

Haven't read spearbreakers. I might make a goods stockpile for just mugs by the tavern (makes sense)

And timeless, that's feudalism in general. Medieval Europe had the same idea, except the King was Shogun and Emperor in one, Lords were the daimyo, and Knights are the samurai

Oh dear god. The mugs.

Be wary Lord Highmax, because as Spearbreakers has taught me, it is a slippery slope with mugs.

EDIT: Longswords can be used one-handed yes, but you can't take a shield then if you want to be able to fight properly.
Ever heard of the Eihiener? I may have spelled it wrong, but its a Nordic warrior where they hold a sword in one hand and an axe in the left. They're also heavy drinkers (because they're the standard Berserkers)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2013, 08:41:02 am by highmax28 »

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 21, 2013, 09:25:52 am »

I can never remember which god berserkers worshipped. I can't help but feel it was either Tyr or Frej. The Norse had far too many gods who covered part of war  >:(.

Frej - War
Heimdall - The Sentinel
Thor - Guardian of Midgard
Tyr - Courage

I'm pretty sure they had even more than that.

Although I am now tempted to alter my copy of the RAWs used for the fort and make Norse fortress a thing...
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 21, 2013, 09:31:52 am »

The Einherjar, yes.  Those warriors whom valhalla is associated most with. I'm just saying using two weapons will put you at a severe disadvantage since you won't have a shield to block with and humans lack [PRONE_TO_RAGE] to make up for it.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 53