Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98539 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2013, 11:06:17 am »

I had a fortress (and still have it) that had no food or water for months and then ended up bouncing back... And there were no caravans or migrants to help
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2013, 11:15:39 am »

That's what happens with a dead civ, but even if onl;y your general still lives, the civ is still alive and well... Sorta.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2013, 11:39:54 am »

After a quick skim through Legends mode it seems our monarchs died at a rate of nearly one a year. That's the problem with being the only one of ten or so civilizations that isn't evil.

EDIT: Seems Highmax is bugged. If I assign him to the military and then try to access equipment the game crashes, I can assign equipment when he's not in the squad and I can assign him to squads fine but the game crashes when I assign him then try to select equipment.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 12:00:44 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2013, 12:06:26 pm »

After a quick skim through Legends mode it seems our monarchs died at a rate of nearly one a year. That's the problem with being the only one of ten or so civilizations that isn't evil.

EDIT: Seems Highmax is bugged. If I assign him to the military and then try to access equipment the game crashes, I can assign equipment when he's not in the squad and I can assign him to squads fine but the game crashes when I assign him then try to select equipment.

Whoo hoo! I'm a bug! 8)

And I think we need either an appointed monarch or a King Arthur now...

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2013, 01:08:29 pm »

We could always make the first war hero we get our honorary king.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2013, 01:18:10 pm »

"Imperator" would be a good title - "Executive in Chief when things get warlike"
or "Duke" which translates as "War Leader"
or "Judge" like the Hebrews had - basically, he who is fit to judge others...
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2013, 01:50:11 pm »

I think something like 'Lord Militant' would have a nice ring to it.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2013, 01:52:26 pm »

I think something like 'Lord Militant' would have a nice ring to it.

Agreed.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2013, 05:32:44 pm »

Journal of Grim Ecodaru

It has been more than six months since I last looked at this journal, I write this entry at the turning of the year and the end of my time in charge of Bridgedstreams.

Of most note is the sad loss of our carpenter to an infected buzzard scratch. His skills were vital in our progress and he has been interred in the catacombs I had carved into the river cliffs in memorial.

Our catacombs:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We have been fortunate to increase our numbers further, of note is the arrival of a skilled smith by the name of Squidgen. At the time of writing we number 19. A small group to be sure but it is a good start.

Our population:
We have completed a small number of houses and expanded our industries, we are walled in on three sides and have managed to dam the river during the winter freeze so we can control it's flow as we see fit.

Our homes:

Our militia has added three new members to it's ranks, Splint and I continue to wield spears, though they are now of iron and we have added mail shirts and helms of the same to our gear, the new recruits wear armour like ours but wield silver morningstars forged from tetrahedrite ore our miner found beneath our town. It is fortunate that we are making such military progress as kobolds have been testing our defences recently, we may need to show our strength to keep larger beasts at bay.

We have made good progress in our first year but the burden of command grows heavy on my shoulders and I feel I would better serve my people by honing my skills with the spear. As such I shall allow another to govern us in the coming year. After that... time will tell.

We have plentiful supplies of food, a cloth industry has been set up and a metalworking one established, they are rather crude however since I had no time to build warehouses to put them in, though we need to get the walls sorted first, we have a small amount of iron left to make weapons and armour but I suspect most of our army will have to wear copper unless we get some more iron from goblinite in future. Since we have such a low population we won't get a siege until we have a few children born though so we have plenty of time to train and arm up with what we have.

Population growth will be slow since we don't have any married couples yet, although apparently Splint and I's humans are in love. It might be prudent to give them some time off from training to tie the knot and start firing out future soldiers.

Current priorities:

Finish the walls, we need a gate of some sort on the left hand side of the fort and the right hand side is still undefended. We've also been having some problems with buzzards, they killed our carpenter and killed Fishybang in a stretch of playtime that was lost to a crash.

We have a lever that needs linked up to some floodgates in the river once the water level drops enough.

More bedrooms/a dormitory in the tavern. We have enough rooms for the militia and one spare, which I gave to Highmax.

REMEMBER: Highmax is bugged for some reason, trying to equip a military squad he is in with gear makes the game crash. Experiment with at your own peril.

EDIT: Save now uploaded

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=8027

EDIT2: Fixing typos.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 06:28:51 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2013, 05:37:37 pm »

Hmmm... If I knew modding, I'd ponder on the military thing, but I don't, so I can't help :-\

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2013, 05:44:20 pm »

Hmmm... If I knew modding, I'd ponder on the military thing, but I don't, so I can't help :-\

I suspect the bug is something to do with the sawmill making you legendary in the space of a month. Because of the way the game gives xp you were getting xp for each plank made, and at 4 planks a reaction that works our at quite a lot of xp in a short space of time. That or it's something gone wrong when I was quicksaving with dfhack but that seems highly unlikely.

You can still be used as a soldier if the gear is assigned to the squad before you join and you just slip into a premade uniform. But trying to alter equipment while you're in seems to be the problem. I'll experiment on my copy of the save and see what I can find out about the bug, we're going to need a squad with edged weapon soon enough I don't doubt, the world is teeming with beakwolves and I understand they're vulnerable to edged attacks.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2013, 05:51:38 pm »

Beak wolves being vulnerable to edged weapons is a bit of an understatement. Three legendary axe or swordsmen can, with proper armor, demolish a beak wolf assault that outnumbers them many times over.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2013, 06:03:08 pm »

Beak wolves being vulnerable to edged weapons is a bit of an understatement. Three legendary axe or swordsmen can, with proper armor, demolish a beak wolf assault that outnumbers them many times over.

Good to know, from what I recall they attack at population 20 so we have a nice soft target to cut our teeth on before the nasty stuff starts arriving. We don't have the excess population to throw more people into the army yet but Highmax could always be spared from construction work if we're willing to work around his bug. Assuming his bug even affects other people, it may even only affect the one squad, I didn't check him with others.

Anyway, it's your turn Splint, if you still want it, keep us posted on any developments, you have two weeks to play your year. Sadly I don't foresee anything much exciting happening but you'll get to make your mark on the towns defences and hopefully get our population on the road to recovery.

Mankind shall rise as a phoenix from the ashes!
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2013, 06:18:07 pm »

Wait what? When did the last update end? Also I vote for the use of traps at chokepoints. Barring them getting jammed up a handful of traps can stop ambushes and snatchers in their tracks without being used in ridiculous amounts. Besides, we'll need to keep the snatchers at bay so they don't steal any children somehow.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2013, 06:25:43 pm »

My update mentions that my year is ending at the start and end of the entry.  :P

I think we should confine children to the tavern once it's fully finished using a burrow to make a creche of sorts. Keeps them out from underfoot, although the damn buzzards will still be able to attack them by flying into the tavern. All we really need to get the tavern ready for use as a creche is to put in a dormitory floor and a food stockpile, there's a well at the bottom by a temporary hospital I set up in the catacombs.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 53