Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98599 times)

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - Now with migrants!
« Reply #555 on: November 24, 2013, 05:18:27 pm »

Hinthint; there is Hematite, I found it somewhere
Edit: didn't give as much of a clear direction this time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 05:26:44 pm by Proto105 »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: November 24, 2013, 07:06:34 pm »

Once again, we're not dwarves, so we can't have goblin Christmas... Unless you say butchering them with people and not traps is the Same thing
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: November 24, 2013, 07:39:06 pm »

We don't necessarily need to butcher them with traps, it's easy enough to get a couple of bowmen up on our walls or something.  Gah, I keep trying to get a picture of what I'm gonna do on my turn, I keep realizing everything's extremely dwarfy. >_>

Magma Reservoir
Spinning minecart death-traps
Foundation of a castle
Carve an altar to Armok

Everything's just too dwarfy! :P

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: November 24, 2013, 08:52:01 pm »

I think we could make an altar to armok, nothing ever said he's the dwarves god of blood. We just can't use tons of magma and obsidian. I personally think humans would see him as a bloody winged angelic warrior god. I wrote a little bit about it in a thread in the dwarf discussion forum a while back, I'll try to link it.

EDIT: Found it.

I've been toying with the idea that each race envisions Armok differently.

To the humans he is a bloody winged angel of war who smites all who oppose his will.

To the elves he is a great tree festooned with garlands of flesh taken from those who deny the power of the natural world he has created.

To the goblins he is a great warlord who commands them to slay and conquer.

To the kobolds and animal-men he is an unseen predator, the swift shadow before your life is snuffed out.

To the dwarves he is Armok, lord of the lifeblood of the earth, creator and destroyer of worlds, whose inscrutable mind only deigns to bestow attention upon those who labour in his name.

Each race subtly understands that Armok must be kept amused lest he grow bored and unmake them. Armok can only be sated by conflict and devotion, by grand works and bloody battles. Should the world grow stale and stable then he forsakes it to forge anew on the anvil of time. Foremost among the methods to appease this bloody handed tyrant are brutal and ingenious weapons of war, the infamous magma-cannons, goblin grinders and baby-smashers, and the construction of great and glorious works in the name of a callous god, towers of glass, halls carved out above magma, ice forts besieged by the dead. All venerate Armok, for if he is not venerated and glorified then he is wont to end all.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:56:11 pm by Grim Portent »
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: November 24, 2013, 09:35:20 pm »

You should see how we pissed him off in Necrothreat...
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: November 26, 2013, 03:38:10 pm »

26th Malachite, 195

Put Galka to work as a miner. Decided we should do a little digging around in the mines, see if we can't find something useful.

27th Malachite, 195

Never do exploratory mining kiddies.

Grim and I are going to go down and do some scouting. Ab says so far all they've seen down there is alot of gems, blue stuff (I think Ab called it cobaltite or some nonsense,) and copper.

-

What in the fuck is that thing??

Well, whatever it was, it died pretty easy.

1st Galena, 195

Told the others about some kind of big... I dunno, looked kinda like an ostrich but... Wrong. And it looked like it had elk horns. Regardless, we're gonna set some traps to see if we can catch them; maybe the smell of delicious overland grasses will attract them since I'm pretty sure I saw them eating some of the really dense moss.

[It'll be an array of 1x2 (and maybe before year's end 2x2) cages on the sides that are exposed for catching herds of elk birds and draltha. I figure that'll do the job and anything that slips through the militia can deal with.]

5th Galena, 195

Highmax suggested we put together a group of bowmen to deal with the damned buzzards. Seems like a good use for these refugees, so I'm gonna see about getting an iron bow made for the officer and some wooden ones for the rest. Got plenty of ammo to train with thanks to Highmax.

13th Galena, 195

I didn't realize we were short on bows or quivers until the damned buzzards came back. Fucking things are pecking at people and generally being a nuisance. One got what was comin' to'em when a dog ripped it apart. A few others were chased off by the yak herd's matriarch when they were picking on one of the calves. Damned things have made off with some of our fresh catches from the river too.

We're also out of drink, so I suppose I'll need to grab one of the new folks and have them help with barrel production. Not like some of them have anything better to do.

19th Galena, 195

Osplek decided to name his mace. Seems like he's gotten a little too attached to it, but hey a loved weapon is a well taken care of weapon, and that translates into a sharp, deadly weapon. Translates to Riskyimpale I think. Since it's spiky I suppose that's actually pretty fitting.

Also it seems we bagged us an elk... Bird... Thing. I think I'm just gonna call them elk birds.

[First catch already! :D]

Ok, so there's another update. Fall's nearly upon us. Dunno if we'll get any visitors, but one can hope. also, here's some building stuff.

Our two newest Workshops. Obviously unfinished.

Our shiny new depot that we spent most of summer building after the caravan left. Floored the spot under the Depot over with shitstone and threw the rest of the boulders into the river and restricted it from being used.

Anyway, sorry I'm taking so long.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: November 26, 2013, 04:20:42 pm »

I find it slightly ironic that you're taking time to finish your turn of our post-apocalypse human survival game because you're playing mods for a post-apocalypse human survival game.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: November 26, 2013, 04:29:35 pm »

I accidently breach the caverns, catch an elk bird, and kill a reacher and that's what you decide to notice?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: November 26, 2013, 04:45:38 pm »

You'll have to be careful with the captured elk birds, assuming we don't just eat them. They graze and lay eggs, so they are at risk of starving while on the nest box.

I wonder what kind of noise an elk bird would make. Elks themselves sound quite odd if you've never heard their calls before.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: November 26, 2013, 05:12:27 pm »

I'll write up a journal entry to handle my reaction to the stuff you found in a bit.  :)

The miners hit a large cave system below ground. Splint and I went in to make sure it was safe. The floor was covered in moss and large mushrooms were growing from the cavern floor. Some sort of thing attacked Splint, it had really long arms and tried to grab him but he made short work of it with his spear. We spotted a herd, or a flock I'm not sure, of strange bird things. Splint says he's going to call them Elk Birds and got some cage traps set up to try and catch some.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 08:51:10 pm by Grim Portent »
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

blarg552

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: November 27, 2013, 04:51:59 am »

Can I be humanized, if possible? Name Tarkis. And...why are we so concerned with not digging deep? If it's the last human settlement, one would think they'd be desperate enough to dig deeper in search of better materials. It makes the survivors seem overly stubborn and not very resourceful.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: November 27, 2013, 05:08:16 am »

I personally have no problems with digging deep. Not sure why the others are iffy about the idea. Though we do need to be careful since we have so few people and cavern beasts can be nasty.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Proto105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:33 pm »

Can we use candy?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: November 27, 2013, 01:31:08 pm »

Can we use candy?

I believe so, but weather or not it'd be worth risking doing so is heavily in favor of "no, it isn't."

I personally have no problems with digging deep. Not sure why the others are iffy about the idea. Though we do need to be careful since we have so few people and cavern beasts can be nasty.

It's because as humans, we have no inherent want to go underground for any reasons other than minerals and maybe exploration, as well as aforementioned nasty locals. We've also discovered a downward passage. Thoughts on further exploration?

EDIT: Also Blackflyme's been humanized as Highmax's sparring buddy already. Blarg, welcome aboard and I'll get you sorted soon as I can.

blarg552

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: November 27, 2013, 01:35:44 pm »

It's because as humans, we have no inherent want to go underground for any reasons other than minerals and maybe exploration, as well as aforementioned nasty locals. We've also discovered a downward passage. Thoughts on further exploration?

EDIT: Also Blackflyme's been humanized as Highmax's sparring buddy already. Blarg, welcome aboard and I'll get you sorted soon as I can.

Yeah, but a lot of the best minerals are all deep underground. Not really building an underground fort, but a deep mine I don't see the problem with.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 53