Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98609 times)

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2013, 03:03:13 pm »

Tbh the intent of the poll was to ask for preferences for successors to this game. I fully intend to make a Bridgedstreams II at some point. Even if there are no streams to bridge or extinctions to reverse.

As for the current fort, I doubt we'll get beyond reaching the election of a Mayor. We may get a long time before sieges occur but by then our wealth will have been generated so high we'll be outnumbered something like 10 to 1 in each fight.
That was something we were running into in the "Bloody Age of Artifice," or whatever the long name was of our fort.  We ended up shoving two dwarves into a broom closet or something and having them mingle enough to where they finally married and started producing kids.

However, even with only 18 dwarves at the time, we did get sieges.  The whole Fortress Defense mod makes sieges happen whenever they want to practically.  Except for Goblin sieges, those still happen when they're supposed to.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2013, 06:16:27 pm »

The solution here is ballistas. Lots and lots of ballistas. And maybe a catapult or two.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 17, 2013, 06:24:08 pm »

The solution here is ballistas. Lots and lots of ballistas. And maybe a catapult or two.
Like as many as you can humanly place in one clustered area with one behind the other. And then target shoot at animals and the like.

And Karkov, you recall what happened when we were sieged and horrendously outnumbered by nightwings. We butchered them quite hilariously. And I'm almost done Necrothreat II and I'm currently embarked in volcanic musical chairs, and stuck on an aquifer. As I figure out how to fix that, I'm going to try a hand at this once necrothreat is finished. This is fortress defense mod? I can run both at the same time (I got two separate insatnces of DF, one for vanilla, one for FD (used for Bloody Age mostly).
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 17, 2013, 09:57:38 pm »

Like as many as you can humanly place in one clustered area with one behind the other. And then target shoot at animals and the like.

And Karkov, you recall what happened when we were sieged and horrendously outnumbered by nightwings. We butchered them quite hilariously. And I'm almost done Necrothreat II and I'm currently embarked in volcanic musical chairs, and stuck on an aquifer. As I figure out how to fix that, I'm going to try a hand at this once necrothreat is finished. This is fortress defense mod? I can run both at the same time (I got two separate insatnces of DF, one for vanilla, one for FD (used for Bloody Age mostly).

Yeah but we were dwarfy dwarfs with armor and four legendary warriors.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 17, 2013, 10:18:59 pm »

We can be humany humans and run about with morning stars and scourges and full iron. Remember that the first three ambushes they wore only clothing and were skilled enough to dodge EVERYTHING (except chucker who took a small wound to his hand)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

FireCrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 18, 2013, 08:02:50 am »

Huh, didn't know it was possible to play as humans. Thats awesome. In any case, humanize me as a mechanic/siege engineer/siege operator. Or all 3 actually. I imagine as a human fortress we would need siege engines more :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 18, 2013, 08:05:04 am »

Actually as it stands we don't need them in any capacity.  And a great deal is possible with modding  ;D

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 18, 2013, 08:17:25 am »

We could probably use catapults for fire support against our lighter armoured enemies.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 18, 2013, 08:19:37 am »

We could probably use catapults for fire support against our lighter armoured enemies.

The operator would flee as soon as one got within actual sight range. As it stands I don't even know why siege engines exist in vanilla, or at least why siege operators flee once manning a weapon besides that stupid "oh I'm not active must flee" crap.

If I seem at all agitated, I am dangerously undercaffeinated, so I apologize.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 18, 2013, 08:29:15 am »

Isn't the range of a siege weapon far greater than the range a dwarf can see?
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: October 18, 2013, 08:34:08 am »

Most often the enemy will have far far too many men for a catapult battery to reliably hold back before the operators wet their pants.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: October 18, 2013, 08:38:32 am »

Pity, the idea of catapults set in bunkers behind the walls is quite a stirring one from a narrative perspective.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: October 18, 2013, 08:48:58 am »

It is and while it's perfectly feasible so long as they can be loaded quickly for dealing with something like those lower numbered early attacks or funneling spotted ambushers into, large groups will simply force their way down and scare the operators off the rigs even if they can't actually be harmed.

Lt_Alfred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: October 18, 2013, 11:21:11 am »

Unless... the operator is blind!!!

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: October 18, 2013, 03:28:43 pm »

Or you use a few rows of fortifications.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 53