Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

If we make a sequel should I let humans make steel in it?

Yes.
- 16 (80%)
No.
- 4 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53

Author Topic: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress - (Players needed!)  (Read 98606 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgedstreams: Human Fortress
« Reply #195 on: October 16, 2013, 07:46:15 pm »

I also want to add an option I want for the vote;

I want us to be feudal. A bunch of soldier lords following under the one high leader (mostly a king or lord for knights, Damiyo for samarai, etc.)
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Fodientum

• Escaped Lunatic
  • With four eyes comes superior depth perception.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 16, 2013, 10:04:05 pm »

Feudalism is the same as a monarchy in the case of Bridgestreams, as it does not answer to anybody, and nobody (barring the fort's current inhabitants) answers to it. Unless you mean that you want to divide the fort up and give it to different nobles, then, yes, I think that sounds interesting.

Hmm... dividing up the fort. That sounds like a recipe for disaster fun.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 10:08:14 pm by Fodientum »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 16, 2013, 10:19:28 pm »

Feudalism is the same as a monarchy in the case of Bridgestreams, as it does not answer to anybody, and nobody (barring the fort's current inhabitants) answers to it. Unless you mean that you want to divide the fort up and give it to different nobles, then, yes, I think that sounds interesting.

Hmm... dividing up the fort. That sounds like a recipe for disaster fun.

That actually sounds a bit like Broseph's hardcore dwarf village challenge. At least, like his notes on how to manage nobles.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think it's a good idea, but not something that could be set up easily at the beginning of a fort's life, when you would be more concerned with basic industries and keeping citizens clothed, fed, and happy safe sane alive.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: October 16, 2013, 10:55:45 pm »

Know what? I actually LIKE that idea. But change up the nobles ruling one industry and you're set. I mean like captains are all under the commander and the commander serves the expedition leader/mayor only. Like a general to his king and the captains under him. All the captains would be responsible for a certain area that they protect with their squad (would stop sparring squads though) and the commander kind of watches over everything but isn't really attached to one area or section. And the mayor/Expedition leader just kind of rules all but only commands the commander to do his bidding. And all the lower class peasants would be governed by the captains and protected by them. Its pretty much Monarchy with a chain of command

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

Adventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: October 16, 2013, 11:38:19 pm »

That sounds good, can always become a monarchy later if it grows more. Maybe give the warriors a personal dining room like a "Hall of Warriors" if there is room.

As it is now i imagine the mayor eat and poops in the same place as everyone else.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 17, 2013, 12:05:47 am »

That sounds good, can always become a monarchy later if it grows more. Maybe give the warriors a personal dining room like a "Hall of Warriors" if there is room.

As it is now i imagine the mayor eat and poops in the same place as everyone else.

Now we're talking a language I can speak! Valhalla anyone?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 17, 2013, 08:14:32 am »

Know what? I actually LIKE that idea. But change up the nobles ruling one industry and you're set. I mean like captains are all under the commander and the commander serves the expedition leader/mayor only. Like a general to his king and the captains under him. All the captains would be responsible for a certain area that they protect with their squad (would stop sparring squads though) and the commander kind of watches over everything but isn't really attached to one area or section. And the mayor/Expedition leader just kind of rules all but only commands the commander to do his bidding. And all the lower class peasants would be governed by the captains and protected by them. Its pretty much Monarchy with a chain of command

That's how feudal monarchies worked to some extent. The king gave land to the nobles who answered to him, they then divided that land up among minor nobility who answered to them, they then oversaw each town and village who had leaders that answered to the minor nobles taxmen. Roughly speaking anyway.

We technically already have that in place, it's just that we represent a section relative to the rest of the kingdom rather than being subdivided ourselves.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 17, 2013, 08:25:39 am »

Like I'm in charge of carpentry?  :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 17, 2013, 08:31:40 am »

You are our most skilled general woodworker, hence everyone else will look to you for that crap. Just like Squidgen is the only  one who knows how to make a decently choppy or smashy thing without it falling apart on the first swing or that farmer who makes all our armor.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 17, 2013, 09:09:31 am »

I more meant that we technically represent a single unit that would normally comprise a civilization, we're already supposed to be the smallest unit in feudal politics: A single town. We just lack an economy and world interaction to make this apparent. It would be rare for a town to actually be divided up among nobles in the feudal era, that sort of thing came a bit later on. I think the correct term to apply would be monopoly, where the king gave the legal right to manufacture something to one man and anyone else who did it was breaking the law.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: October 17, 2013, 12:04:53 pm »

I more meant that we technically represent a single unit that would normally comprise a civilization, we're already supposed to be the smallest unit in feudal politics: A single town. We just lack an economy and world interaction to make this apparent. It would be rare for a town to actually be divided up among nobles in the feudal era, that sort of thing came a bit later on. I think the correct term to apply would be monopoly, where the king gave the legal right to manufacture something to one man and anyone else who did it was breaking the law.
Good god... Imagine how much the cells would fill up if someone turned on all the jobs on all humans :o

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 17, 2013, 12:23:15 pm »

Fortunately monopolies aren't supported in the RAWs yet. If they ever are then anyone that enables them will be subject to the whims of nobles and those who befriend the king.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: October 17, 2013, 12:54:36 pm »

Fortunately monopolies aren't supported in the RAWs yet. If they ever are then anyone that enables them will be subject to the whims of nobles and those who befriend the king.
I still like the feudal idea.

Just section off parts of the town and have the guards patrol them every now and then to keep the people happy and in line

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 17, 2013, 02:35:55 pm »

I still like the feudal idea.

Just section off parts of the town and have the guards patrol them every now and then to keep the people happy and in line
The only thing I can see wrong with this is that we have a rather limited amount of units to use/throw at a wall.  If we had proper migrant waves, I could maybe see doing this.  As is, I can see large families securing crafts for themselves and such, but not so much a feudal era kind of thing going on.

Though it definitely would be interesting if that became a thing later.  Have Grim as the High-King or some such, since he was the one who founded the settlement, and have his line carry the high-king title.  All of the other 7 starting units become vassals and switch around governance depending on who is leading the fort at the time.

EDIT:  Accidentally quoted the wrong thing, whoops.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 17, 2013, 02:40:38 pm »

Tbh the intent of the poll was to ask for preferences for successors to this game. I fully intend to make a Bridgedstreams II at some point. Even if there are no streams to bridge or extinctions to reverse.

As for the current fort, I doubt we'll get beyond reaching the election of a Mayor. We may get a long time before sieges occur but by then our wealth will have been generated so high we'll be outnumbered something like 10 to 1 in each fight.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 53