Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A really stupid question about bridges  (Read 1021 times)

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A really stupid question about bridges
« on: October 04, 2013, 02:15:38 pm »

I think I've never built one-tile-long bridges before, and now... do they really look the same when raised/lowered? And how, if I don't remember... man, I feel stupid. I'm playing vanilla DF (no tileset). I can figure it out by looking at levers, but it's really inefficient.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A really stupid question about bridges
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 02:21:58 pm »

I had the same problem.  There are ways to tell but it was simpler for me to just make them at least 2 long.  I have not had any problems with a long raising bridge on a single level
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 02:45:17 pm »

Yes, a 1 tile long or wide bridge (that rises in the direction of the 1 tile width or length) looks the same whether it's up or down. And I too, tend to make my bridges at least 2 tiles long in the rising direction just so I can tell at a glance if they're up or down. But you can tell if they're up or down by attempting to build something on the spot they occupy. If they're down, you'll get a 'building occupies' error and if they're up, you'll get a 'blocked' error.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 02:50:27 pm »

Tilesets won't help anyway. You can't choose one tile for a raised 1x1 bridge and a different one for a lowered 1x1 bridge.

If you don't have the room for a larger and more visually readable bridge, build one somewhere nearby and link it to the same lever as the small bridge. It'll do nothing but act as an indicator.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 02:57:39 pm »

If you have more bridges, check how the lever looks on them. Levers don't send a switch signal, but an on/off, so levers pulled to close a bridge always stand the same way and levers used to open one lean in the other direction
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 08:56:38 pm »

If you have room, you can place a nearby retracting bridge or a door/hatch and link it to the same lever - I used this trick back in my second 0.31 fortress so I could check whether or not the Ultimate Lava Trap was open.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.