Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Unglazed earthenware can't hold food?  (Read 1912 times)

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unglazed earthenware can't hold food?
« on: October 04, 2013, 10:57:31 am »

The wiki seems to say that unglazed earthenware can't hold liquids, but can hold solid food. I wanted to reserve my barrels for booze, so I forbade them all, made some earthenware pots, and then set my food stockpiles to use barrels. Nothing happened. The moment I unforbade the barrels, my dwarves leapt to fill them with plump helmets. When I got a bit of fire clay, my dwarves didn't hesitate to store food in the stoneware pots. What am I misunderstanding here?

EDIT: Typo in title
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 11:45:35 am by Pink Photon »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unglazed earthenware can't fold food?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 11:07:13 am »

Leave earthenware alone, make stone pots. They even hold liquid already. Assuming my game is bugged.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unglazed earthenware can't fold food?
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 11:27:10 am »

check the wiki to make sure you are using the correct terminology

fire clay creates stoneware which does not have to be glazed

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Ceramic
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Pink Photon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unglazed earthenware can't hold food?
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 11:56:29 am »

My terminology is correct. Fire clay makes stoneware, other types of clay make earthenware. According to the wiki pages for ceramics, glazing, earthenware, stoneware, and large pots, unglazed earthenware pots can only store dry items, while glazed earthenware pots can store either liquid or dry.

I am aware that there are other options, but I would like to make this work, or understand why it doesn't work like the wiki implies.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 12:34:50 pm »

interesting situation. Maybe check mantis if someone encountered it before?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 01:40:22 pm »

My terminology is correct. Fire clay makes stoneware, other types of clay make earthenware. According to the wiki pages for ceramics, glazing, earthenware, stoneware, and large pots, unglazed earthenware pots can only store dry items, while glazed earthenware pots can store either liquid or dry.

I am aware that there are other options, but I would like to make this work, or understand why it doesn't work like the wiki implies.

My apologies for failure to understand the 'thrust' of your question.  The simplest answer to your question COULD be the same one I got last month: sometimes the wiki is wrong.
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

vanatteveldt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, 09:51:12 am »

What I don't really understand is what the point of glazed earthenware pots is. They cost wood, fuel, and four or five actions (make coal (unless magma), gather clay, make pot, make ash, glaze), while a barrel costs wood and one action, and a stone pot stone and one action. Theoretically a pot hold more food, so I guess if resources are extremely limited this would help, but that is a very theoretical point I think (stone has never been scarce for me yet, and there is no reason for ever needing more than a couple hundred pots, e.g. less than a single stone layer (each 24x24 yields 24x24/4=24x6=144 stones = 144 pots). They are worth more, so I guess if you make them for export it makes some sense, but still...

Does anyone ever bother with glazing?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 11:13:41 am »

Nope. There aren't any quality levels for it, and improvements don't grant skill XP (only products do). Since there are no reactions that produce an item and use the Glazing skill, any XP that comes attached to a migrant or embark dwarf will slowly wither away.

On the plus side, as an 'empty' skill (much like Druid or Animal Care), you can hijack it for a mod without stepping on the toes of too many other skills and any of the hardcoded reactions.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.