Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma proof dorfs(?)  (Read 1225 times)

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma proof dorfs(?)
« on: October 03, 2013, 05:00:33 am »

So, I was playing along in fortress mode at a volcano embark when I made the mistake of anchoring an iron wall to a bridge above the crater of the volcano to help protect my metal industry from magma crabs and the like. The ensuing cloud from the collapsing iron bars/iron wall into the lava below blew my legendary Metalcrafter/Armorer/Weaponsmith into the lava Nooooooo! as well as a nearby mason carrying a baby. I quickly used K to see how melted they were after a few ticks but was surprised to see that although their sprites were visible (and not displaying any signs of distress such as red !'s) they did not show up with K or Q at all. They were removed from my units list and I assumed that the sprites had glitched and they were in fact dead. Instead as I followed them as the sank sedately down the chute of magma they started unveiling more of the map for me as though they were still alive. I still couldn't access any information about these dorfs and they along with the iron bars that had sank with them disappeared when they hit the bottom of the magma ocean. Unfortunately I didn't get any screen caps of them before they disappeared as I was to fascinated with what was happening and didn't think that they would vanish at the bottom.

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma proof dorfs(?)
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:01:18 am »

What I really wanted to ask was has anyone heard of this happening before?

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:08:53 am »

As far as I know this happens all of the time.
Creatures usually only disappear once they hit the bottom of whatever is filled with the magma.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 11:29:11 am »

yep. The scouting abilities of puppies dumped in magma tubes are well known

More interesting though is that yes, it is possible to create magma proof dorfs. Death from heat/fire currently works through melting and bleeding of the fat layer. Such a body wide bleeding generally causes quick death unless 1: the creature can't die from bloodloss or 2: The creature has no fat. As each exposure to heat will permanently melt some fat, carefully subjecting dorfs to heat for small time periods, giving them time to heal in between exposures, will melt all the fat away without causing death. After that, the dwarf is immune to heat effects and will semi-happily wade through magma. They might become unhappy if their clothes burn off though.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 01:42:29 pm »

Did it look something like this?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I believe that it has something to do with the way creatures in flight, or in this case falling, behave.

They won't react to the magma as they fall. Though I have noticed some disappear before they hit the bottom, so maybe it just happens slower.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 05:13:56 pm »

After that, the dwarf is immune to heat effects and will semi-happily wade through magma.
They'll still die after a while, as their body tissues will heat up and eventually disintegrate.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Hughgee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 01:07:18 am »

Cool thanks for the input. Also cool to find that there's a legitimate (Kind of?) way to make almost heat-proof dorfs. They must have internal organs made of obsidian and bones made from iron!

Torrasque666

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 06:56:15 am »

Or I'm relatively sure you could just remove their fat...
BOOM FOR THE BOOM GOD!
LOOT FOR THE LOOT THRONE!

You seem to be under the impression that we're playing some game other than dwarf fortress. It doesn't matter how powerful you make a creature, we will find a way to destroy it. God is dead, and Urist killed him.