Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: MDickie's "HARDtime" - a gloriously unfinished prison simulator  (Read 27531 times)

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
Re: MDickie's "HARDtime" - a gloriously unfinished prison simulator
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2013, 04:26:22 pm »

It's a great concept. Lasting relationships, crimes, repercussions, a set amount of people in the prison, everyone has a name and isn't a faceless clone etc.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »

Played the game, and it's a clusterfuck. Everyone is in wrestling poses, the fucking AI doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It's amusing temporarily but honestly I don't know who could survive 60 days in a game where guards will happily fill your sorry hide with holes and then blame it on you.

Honestly... I wish someone would take the games concept and apply it seriously to an artsy game.
What are you talking about? This already looks like an artsy game. Just plays slightly better than one.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2013, 05:56:44 pm »

It's a great concept. Lasting relationships, crimes, repercussions, a set amount of people in the prison, everyone has a name and isn't a faceless clone etc.
So kind of like a fancier Canis Canem Edit/Bully then. I would have liked that game better if it tracked you on each individual (you know, those characters that they designed a bunch of individually and gave them different names and made sure they never showed up twice in the same place and got different voice lines for and all that) rather than generalising it out to the factions. Then again, might have been a limitation on streamlining it to fit the narrative. I don't know.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Biag

• Bay Watcher
  • Huzzah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2013, 09:48:45 pm »

It's filled with great concepts. Honestly, if someone who isn't Mat Dickie took a month to polish this up, it could be a really good game. It needs a lot of little tweaks. People's names should be more readily available. Weapons should have more variation on how much damage they deal. There should be more back-and-forth when wrestling- you should be able to actively throw someone off. But at the core, it's got a lot of good ideas and a lot of interesting narrative comes out of it. For the first hour or two that I played I was pretty much laughing out loud constantly.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2013, 10:03:47 pm »

I do hope in the case that someone does in fact take control of it. They won't try to make it too "fair" so to speak.

A lot of what makes this game poignant is how ruthless the prison is. How the guards and other prisoners basically abuse the system to make everyone around them miserable and how it turns you into a outright hardened criminal because of it. You cannot remain pure in this setting.

Heck the game never indicates whether or not you REALLY did the crime, just what sentence you got.

Having a guard ask for a bribe, only to attack you and you to defend yourself... only for the next day a group of guards team up on you in the middle of the night to beat you to a bloody pulp is annoying... but is where, imo, the core of the game lies... and all of this came from the gameplay. Having the character then beat up the group of guards (ALA Bully where you are a one kid army) would ruin it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 10:06:04 pm by Neonivek »

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2013, 10:58:49 pm »

Tried to get the game to work but just kept getting "unable to set graphics mode."

I have an intel i5 with integrated graphics on this machine; DirectX is the most recent version.

I've also done everything with compatibility mode/run in 600x800\8bit or 16bit etc that can be done from properties.  Also, it should be said, I've tried run as admin.

I know the game is derping awful but after watching some let's plays I'm seriously intrigued.

I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Eclectic Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • Vinum Sabbathi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:26 pm »

I tried compiling the code, its broken so it wont compile. Wrong statements everywehre and stuff, i dont know hte language well so i cnat fix it either.
Black chant mirrors the song of the stars
Open the abyss dreamt from afar
Abominations drawn to our dimension
Feed black desires, aid human ascension

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »

I tried compiling the code, its broken so it wont compile. Wrong statements everywehre and stuff, i dont know hte language well so i cnat fix it either.
BlitzBasic, its a horrible game engine.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2013, 02:56:44 pm »

Yes, with spaghetti code on top of it.

...don't try to fix it. It's not worth your time... or sanity.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2013, 03:26:19 pm »

For years I was convinced MDickie was Derek Smart, since they shared a personality(lack thereof) and were never seen together. However, I still played all of the games loyally for many years. My favorite was either the band manager one or the movie making one. The wrestling ones were the most popular though.

He wrote a book that sold like 3000 copies in 10 years and then he quit. He said he didn't enjoy making games and that people were often overly critical. I think it's because the times changed and you couldn't get away with crude 2d games a-la shareware anymore and he couldn't get people to even download for free let alone buy. I always bought them though. In a strange way I will miss him. His arrogance could be mistaken for courage.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2013, 04:27:05 pm »

He wrote a book that sold like 3000 copies in 10 years and then he quit. He said he didn't enjoy making games and that people were often overly critical. I think it's because the times changed and you couldn't get away with crude 2d games a-la shareware anymore and he couldn't get people to even download for free let alone buy. I always bought them though. In a strange way I will miss him. His arrogance could be mistaken for courage.

Are you talking about MDickie or Derek here?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2013, 04:41:54 pm »

Are you talking about MDickie or Derek here?

Yes.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2013, 04:45:28 pm »

I do hope in the case that someone does in fact take control of it. They won't try to make it too "fair" so to speak.

A lot of what makes this game poignant is how ruthless the prison is. How the guards and other prisoners basically abuse the system to make everyone around them miserable and how it turns you into a outright hardened criminal because of it. You cannot remain pure in this setting.

Heck the game never indicates whether or not you REALLY did the crime, just what sentence you got.

Having a guard ask for a bribe, only to attack you and you to defend yourself... only for the next day a group of guards team up on you in the middle of the night to beat you to a bloody pulp is annoying... but is where, imo, the core of the game lies... and all of this came from the gameplay. Having the character then beat up the group of guards (ALA Bully where you are a one kid army) would ruin it.

Ah, but what if you, underpowered, accomplished it through guile and ruthlessness? The beauty of the warden opening the door one morning to find every damn prisoner and guard dead, blood splashed up the walls, and your character sitting in the cafeteria eating ice cream and watching a rerun of Curb Appeal.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2013, 05:45:06 pm »

Why exactly did he use a wrestling engine for a Prison simulator?

Yeah, I guess it makes some sense, but couldn't he, at least, make everyone just a little less... murderous?

Also he used the same engine to make a game about Muhammad. I'm pretty sure that's blasphemy.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2013, 05:59:31 pm »

Why exactly did he use a wrestling engine for a Prison simulator?

Yeah, I guess it makes some sense, but couldn't he, at least, make everyone just a little less... murderous?

Also he used the same engine to make a game about Muhammad. I'm pretty sure that's blasphemy.
Because he cannot be arsed to write a new, less awful one, and just piles new features on top of the festering heap of his old games.

Also, before Muhammad game, he made The You Testament for Jesus. Or rather, New Agesus. With matrix-breaking powers of seeing the game in wireframe. And blabbering about MDickie's own idiotic philosophy. That's how he rolks.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4