Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: MDickie's "HARDtime" - a gloriously unfinished prison simulator  (Read 27528 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: MDickie's "HARDtime" - a gloriously unfinished prison simulator
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 09:28:17 am »

He seems like the second evolution of LazyFeline.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 09:48:47 am »

He seems like the second evolution of LazyFeline.

[Snark]

Anyway, I swear this guy's narcissism is the type that, while I hate it, can't help but look at.

Kinda how car wrecks go, as we know what they look like, yet we insist in looking

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 01:13:10 pm »

The thing I dislike the MOST about "HARDtime" is that it stumbles across what can only be called an INGENIUS concept for a game. It touches upon the commonly held belief that "what goes on in prison is part of the punishment" and shows that for what it really is, horror.

Yet the execution and thought put behind it can only be described as clumsy and horrible.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 01:17:12 pm by Neonivek »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 01:42:39 pm »

The thing I dislike the MOST about "HARDtime" is that it stumbles across what can only be called an INGENIUS concept for a game. It touches upon the commonly held belief that "what goes on in prison is part of the punishment" and shows that for what it really is, horror.

Yet the execution and thought put behind it can only be described as clumsy and horrible.

Like somebody shat in a cronut.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 02:36:37 pm »

It's a wrestling game set in a prison.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 02:38:03 pm »

It's a wrestling game set in a prison.

It is a wrestling game engine set in a prison.

It would be like calling Soul Calibur 3  a Unreal Tournament medieval fighting game.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 02:55:52 pm »

No, no it really is. He took all of his work on character design, animations, combat and general game mechanics (like holding items and hitting people with them) from his wrestling games he had made previously.

Not surprisingly, the effect is that everyone behaves like pro wrestlers in the rink at all times.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 03:00:13 pm »

No, no it really is. He took all of his work on character design, animations, combat and general game mechanics (like holding items and hitting people with them) from his wrestling games he had made previously.

Not surprisingly, the effect is that everyone behaves like pro wrestlers in the rink at all times.

You know what I mean.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 03:07:03 pm »

When you're sad enough, do you just lose control and go berserk?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 08:19:28 pm »

When you're sad enough, do you just lose control and go berserk?

I just drink water.

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2013, 11:14:14 am »

Any way you can run this in windowed mode?

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2013, 03:22:25 pm »

Does the game still force itself to crash whenever you try to use the in-game "Exit Game" function?

Wait do you mean it's one of those games where the exit function causes a CTD because it's just poorly coded, or do you mean it literally intentionally crashes itself instead of programming a shutdown function.

That's Matt Dickie for you. Don't forget he is the best programmer in the world and the only reason he's not making new games because nothing can match up to the perfection of gems like this.

The guy who did this:

;DELIBERATE CRASH LOOPHOLE
Function LoopHole()
 LoopHole()
End Function

to close his game, also claims this:

"Sometimes I feel that the world can't take me on, and that I'm going to revolutionize the games industry for the better."
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 03:28:30 pm »

Sometimes I wonder is MDickie was some sort of ARG all along, but he's too believable for anyone to have actually analysed him that hard.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Cheedows

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a dwarf, right?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 03:44:27 pm »

Played the game, and it's a clusterfuck. Everyone is in wrestling poses, the fucking AI doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It's amusing temporarily but honestly I don't know who could survive 60 days in a game where guards will happily fill your sorry hide with holes and then blame it on you. 

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2013, 04:20:08 pm »

Played the game, and it's a clusterfuck. Everyone is in wrestling poses, the fucking AI doesn't know what the hell it's doing. It's amusing temporarily but honestly I don't know who could survive 60 days in a game where guards will happily fill your sorry hide with holes and then blame it on you.

Honestly... I wish someone would take the games concept and apply it seriously to an artsy game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4