Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Prevention! Magma Crabs Spewing Crap  (Read 2738 times)

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
Prevention! Magma Crabs Spewing Crap
« on: October 01, 2013, 10:33:21 pm »

I need the best way to protect my dwarves from magma crabs, because they keep getting beat up by magma crabs. I lost a major dwarf that forced me to savescum. Any tips?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Prevention! Magma Crabs Spewing Crap
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 10:40:35 pm »

I need the best way to protect my dwarves from magma crabs, because they keep getting beat up by magma crabs. I lost a major dwarf that forced me to savescum. Any tips?

See the reply to your other thread. Anyhow, maybe send some marksdwarves in plate armor in an attempt to kill it?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 10:44:19 pm »

See the reply to your other thread. Anyhow, maybe send some marksdwarves in plate armor in an attempt to kill it?

Its swimming in magma... And sorry, Kinda panicing and rushing :-[

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 10:51:19 pm »

Give it a try? Maybe they'll shoot it.

Also, can you seal off the source of the magma if it's connected to the magma pipe/volcano? If you can drain the magma out, you could then send military after it?

Alternatively, if you have DFhack and don't mind cheating to get rid of it, you can always use slayrace on it.

Edit: I know draining the system and then send military after it isn't the fastest of methods, but I don't really have any other ideas.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 10:56:26 pm by smjjames »

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 10:59:04 pm »

Give it a try? Maybe they'll shoot it.

Also, can you seal off the source of the magma if it's connected to the magma pipe/volcano? If you can drain the magma out, you could then send military after it?

Alternatively, if you have DFhack and don't mind cheating to get rid of it, you can always use slayrace on it.

I tried DFhack, I couldn't even get it to work. I;ve only modded a creature once, and it was to make a dragon immovable as I prepared cage traps. I actually did capture it and a female and got ridiculous numbers of dragon eggs... unfortunately, they were unfertile...

Regardless, its smack dab in the middle of the magma SEA, so I can't get at it unless... Wait... That MIGHT work, but it might end horribly...

Dumping obsidian down until I get the bastard could work...

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 11:01:49 pm »

No such thing as forced to savescum.  Dwarf up and live with the consequences.

Obsidian dropping might just work.  You're probably better off creating a solid plate of obsidian you can drop, instead of trying to hit him with small chunks of wall.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 11:04:31 pm »

It should be 'slayrace magma_crab'.

@weenog: collapsing a large section of flooring could also do the trick.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 11:06:36 pm »

No such thing as forced to savescum.  Dwarf up and live with the consequences.

Obsidian dropping might just work.  You're probably better off creating a solid plate of obsidian you can drop, instead of trying to hit him with small chunks of wall.

When a magma crab obliterates one of the only males in a fortress with no migrants/caravans? Yeah... Hes important enough...

And how would I drop obsidian? just water/channel?

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 01:25:42 am »

And how would I drop obsidian? just water/channel?

Use the liquids command to spawn water on the magma a Z lvl or two above the crab.  Water replaces magma, water and magma try to spread, poof instant obsidian suspended over thin air... well thick magma but you get the idea, a cavein insues killing anything underneath.  If the crab wasnt standing on a magma flow you could just spawn the water on it to obsidianize the thing but that proccess only produces steam on magma flows.

Personaly though I just design my magma access in such a way that magma crabs cant get access to my dwarves.  If I screw up and it happens anyway I just seal off that area and rebuild while actualy paying attention to detail.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 08:41:27 am »

When a magma crab obliterates one of the only males in a fortress with no migrants/caravans? Yeah... Hes important enough...
As long as you've got two unrelated ones left, you're fine...

Marksdwarves will not shoot at creatures through magma, although they can see them well enough to get interrupted by them. If you've got magma crabs in a place where they can shoot at your dwarves, it's best to just clear out until they've gone. It's not just the bone-breaking basalt blobs that are the problem, it's the dodging.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 09:09:18 am »

You can't just build a wall to keep them away?

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 09:49:28 am »

You want to walk off inside magma? Be my guest. I have no idea how to do that without throwing in obsidian. I found out that placing impassible tile there, it will prevent the shit being shot at me! Yay!

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 11:32:30 am »

You build the wall on the ground, level with the surface of the magma. The crabs can't shoot past it.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 11:37:09 am »

You build the wall on the ground, level with the surface of the magma. The crabs can't shoot past it.
That then blocks the magma for the smelters and forges?

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 01:21:48 pm »

Forges and smelters don't use up magma, they just require access to it.  Once you've got the magma channels under your forges full, you can seal off the main body of magma and it won't hurt anything.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.
Pages: [1] 2