Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: 3.5e vs 4e DnD  (Read 11134 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 3.5e vs 4e DnD
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2013, 10:17:36 am »

I have to counterpoint Neonivek.

There are a ton of RPG systtems out there that are both "gamey" and more versatile than D&D. If you don't know about them, that's a problem with marketing, not a problem with the systems. I agree that tossing FATE around all the time is kind of silly, but D&D AnyE is hardly the be-all end-all of gaming.

Other then the ones I mentioned (and clones of dungeons and dragons). What?

FATE is somewhat at the other side of the spectrum and is interesting in that your "stats" do not truly represent your competence but rather your plot armor. (I am aware there are even looser systems then FATE...)

While I'd put Robotech at the other side.

So the spectrum looks like

FATE (Roleplay heavy) <----------------------------------------------------------------> Robotech (Game Heavy)

Also my argument wasn't about the versatility of dungeons and dragons. It was defending that how "gamey" a system is, is not a weakness but rather more like its genre (After all, Robotech is a great game and it is as gamey as it gets). Tabletop RPGs that are more like a game. As well it is a "gamey" system that also tries to be somewhat balanced as well. So if I were to create another axis it would be the balance versus unbalance.

Exalted (Unbalanced) <-----------------------------------------------------------------> Robotech (Super balanced)

Though Robotech has that happen because, as I said, it was a game first and the RPG components was added on.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:26:50 am by Neonivek »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 03, 2013, 11:43:39 am »

Was just thinking about this again:

There are games out there that give rewards, that have rules in the system, for characters pursuing and achieving personal objectives. And that's totally in the realm of the source material for D&D. And in D&D you have, very early on, recommendations that the DM use "story XP" awards for completing objectives, and "roleplaying XP" awards for playing the character well.

1E D&D's training system required GP payment to level up and this would be multiplied if you were roleplaying badly. It wasn't just about roleplaying well, it was about playing well, as the last example of poor play "characters who do not pull their own weight". Not in the sense that you succeed in getting gold or killing monsters or completing the adventure, but that you played your Thief like a Thief.

But what 1E didn't have, were crunchy rules for adjudicating roleplaying and personal achievements. It could have included a table of secret desires, reasons why you're adventuring, family member generation, etc. While it was considered inadequate to play rock-paper-scissors to see who won a battle, it's fine to just talk in-character when roleplaying. Tons of house rules regarding resolution of character arguments, but no chapter full of concrete tables and stuff like Gygax always did.

But what if the game has rules for things you can't do at the table? We don't want to LARP these combats and travels and stuff (although a well-done haunted house style dungeon LARP with monsters and traps and stuff would be pretty awesome - didn't they do that at a convention?). But the player can actually answer a riddle, solve a puzzle, negotiate with another player, survey the battlefield and spot opportunities, make plans for an expedition. Having a skill at riddle-solving or battlefield tactics would make the game more complete, but maybe those were left out purposefully. What if you looked at the game from the perspective of "Whatever we can do at the table, in our seats, we do - but for everything else we make a rule and roll dice".
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »

FATE (Roleplay heavy) <----------------------------------------------------------------> Robotech (Game Heavy)

[...]

Exalted (Unbalanced) <-----------------------------------------------------------------> Robotech (Super balanced)

Though Robotech has that happen because, as I said, it was a game first and the RPG components was added on.

I'm very confused by your invocation of Robotech here. Are we thinking of the same game? Palladium Books? I know I've never seen any of the 2e books, but 1e was not exceptionally gamey, nor exceptionally realistic, nor exceptionally balanced. It was typical Palladium fare, which is to say a slightly crunchier AD&D knock-off, albeit with mecha and aliens. Now yes, you can make an argument that it was much more combat focused than role-playing focused, but that's moreso because it was martial in character than because of any design decision. Arguing that it was a game with RP tacked on suggests that no RPG with a martial setting be considered an RPG first simply because of the primacy of combat to the presumptive storylines. If you don't take that tact, then there's little reason to argue  that Robotech wasn't an RPG first and foremost, using a modified version of an established RPG system, and didn't bother to detail much about the setting or characterization because it was drawing on an existing mythos which could be assumed to provide more background and motivations than the RPG books could or needed to.

Robotech (or other Palladium fare) isn't what I'd call gamey. It's way too munchkin for that. D&D4e is gamey. Gamey implies that the system is structured with "play" (particularly balance) given primacy over either fluff or realism. I.e., bards cause damage by singing because that gives their class a more defined and equitable role and a way to contribute damage, not because it makes sense or even fits with the lore. That's gamey. Gamey is what feels artificial and inorganic. Gamey is what requires suspending disbelief, even within a fantasy setting. Gamey is inconsistency for mechanical reasons. So to bring this full circle, while I don't agree that Robotech RPG is a defining example of either realism or gamey-ness, I'd argue contra you that it inherently can't be both at once.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 02:24:16 pm by E. Albright »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 03, 2013, 06:41:46 pm »

Robotech otherwise known as MechWarrior.

The worst thing they added to the game, IMO, is adding handheld super computers. That immediately broke their setting, but they didn't realize it. (In that the MechWarrior universe is sort of a "Give and take" when it comes to technology. It is before the advent of miniaturization, hence why targeting systems weigh tons)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 06:51:53 pm by Neonivek »

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2013, 10:45:17 pm »

Random thoughts on stuff posted:

Inquistor for the WH40k system is pretty RP heavy. It's got stats and charts and all kinds of things, but it's pretty DM heavy as well (to the point of having the inquisitor you're serving showing up in-game if necessary as a character). Gamey? Yeah, sort of (if only because you can be horribly hopeless at "everything" to begin with), but with the normal being "make whatever character you'd like to play as", RP does take a fair precedence as well. Anyway, it was an unmentioned system in the "what other systems are there?" bit. WHRPG is fairly established for that matter as well.

4th edition too gamey? Yep. Actually, it'd make for an awesome turn based strategy/RPG game on the PC. Super-duper-shining-force or whatever. The focus on 2d or 3d battle strategy of characters could make it great as either a single player experience (you control all characters), a multiplayer experience (each player controls one character), or as a competitive experience (you have *this* many levels and gold to make your character in a team of 5 characters, vs another team of five characters, on 20 badly thought out maps. Who will win or show how broken certain characters are? Just a weird multiplayer team-strategy game, no towers needed, nor the defense of them). You wouldn't even have to roll dice, the computer could do it for you. It would be awesome (or at least should be where 4th could hopefully go in the long run. It enables patches and retcons and lores aplenty. As well as a die-hard player base). It'd make a good game. Probably.

3.5 and templates and alignment and stuff. A good DM cherry-picks what rules he/she likes and ignores the rest. They also ignore those when it's convenient. They even (shock horror) ignore what the dice roll was. The whole alignment system was a purely contrived thing. The world can react to your actions or not, but not due to alignment. Your motivations and the outcomes can effect this, but so can the motivations, plans and actions of the gameworld and the characters contained within it. Chaotic evil? What's that? Or any of the other alignments. You can write it on your character sheet, but it represents nothing (not even gods or spells. A descriptive sentence to the player is better when "detect alignment" is cast then any *something/*something result). Templates are great for ideas, just so you can see where the creators of the system think a giant elemental spirit ewok would fit into the system power-wise, but it's just an idea. Do what you want with it. Cherry-pick your rules, dump half of a level 9 rogue's abilities onto a ninja-orc, give them an at-will magic-shadow-jutsu-shuriken and call it a day. The templates are just there for rules "fact", not binding in any way, just nice ideas. The poor ninja-orcs have been raising those black-puddings for thousands of years, to dispose of garbage and ninja'd bodies, that's why they've got a bond and can battle strategize together. They're like war-fluffy-wamblers to the ninja-orcs, always there when they need something pudding'd or the orcs are hungry or bored or need target practice. Strangely, this is easier to explain away in 3.5 than it is in fourth. Even when you reskin it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:34:33 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2013, 11:47:38 pm »

Robotech otherwise known as MechWarrior.
Erm no, Battletech (AKA MechWarrior) is very much a different thing from Robotech. Robotech, which I hadn't heard of until seeing it mentioned in this thread and going only by the Wikipedia page was an anime that was adapted into a RPG. Battletech on the other hand was originally a tabletop wargame which at some point had completely optional campaign management rules created for it. There's also MechWarrior RPG, which is what I think you're talking about, which is it's own system usable in conjunction with but completely optional from the Battletech tabletop rules.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2013, 12:53:33 am »

Erm no, Battletech (AKA MechWarrior) is very much a different thing from Robotech. Robotech, which I hadn't heard of until seeing it mentioned in this thread and going only by the Wikipedia page was an anime that was adapted into a RPG. Battletech on the other hand was originally a tabletop wargame which at some point had completely optional campaign management rules created for it. There's also MechWarrior RPG, which is what I think you're talking about, which is it's own system usable in conjunction with but completely optional from the Battletech tabletop rules.
Look up the first version of Battletech.  You'll find ALOT of the mechs are ripped from both Robotech (the original Locust, the Marauder to name just 2) and a few other sources with some original designs sprinkled on top.  I even have one of the those first versions, and my dad had most of the lead minis made for it.

To expand on what Neon meant:  Battletech was a great table top game that had RPG elements thrown on later (the whole campaign stuff along with character stats and progression there of).  So it fits the whole 'a game over RP' thing he had going.

My opinion of 4e is that they made it WAY to focused on combat and in doing so went WAY over board trying to 'balance' the classes and just made them all the same (to me).  Also THE FUCK THAT ALIGNMENT IS JUST A SLIDING SCALE FROM CHAOTIC EVIL TO LAWFUL GOOD.  No, I do not accept that I move from lawful good, to good, to neutral to chaotic to evil.  THAT RUINS THE ENTIRE POINT OF THE DAMN SYSTEM.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 12:55:45 am by Shooer »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2013, 10:21:09 am »

The only reason I let 4e off the hook for its alignment system is because it strongly reflects player alignments in all its 1-dimensional glory.

I've read books that dealt with nothing but how alignment works in dungeons and dragons and even they have to tell the people reading them that "Good people can do morally ambiguous things without hurting their alignment. In fact as far as a grey area is concerned ignore it completely"

---

Also yeah, I guess I mixed up game names.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 10:24:59 am by Neonivek »

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2013, 11:38:25 am »

There are games out there that give rewards, that have rules in the system, for characters pursuing and achieving personal objectives. And that's totally in the realm of the source material for D&D. And in D&D you have, very early on, recommendations that the DM use "story XP" awards for completing objectives, and "roleplaying XP" awards for playing the character well.

I am not a 1st ed expert, but I feel pretty conversant in editions from AD&D forward. And, in each of those editions, I think it's fair to say that there was a complex rule structure in place that tells you, for example, how many XP an orc is worth (or, in 3e and after, how much XP a Massive Dire Orc with three standard orc friends is worth). This is based pretty well exclusively on a combat-centered view of the orc. I think it's also fair to say that those editions had a vague passing sense that roleplaying XP should be awarded with far, far less structure to define it... perhaps a single table of XP awards, like 100XP for making the GM laugh. I think this illustrates D&Ds prioritization of combat and combat mechanics over narrative and role-playing. When you have a game system where a not-uncommon conceit is that a "Lawful Good" person descends with a bunch of friends into the home of dozens of sentient creatures, exterminating them and taking their stuff, I think that also highlights the prioritization of solving tactical problems over examining the broader interactions of the players with each other and the world they inhabit.

This isn't to say that one can't roleplay with D&D as the rule set... obviously, you can, and plenty of D&D apologists have stories about the wonderful campaigns they have participated in, and the emotionally moving experiences they contained. I don't think that's too different from saying that you can make a wonderfully sea-worthy boat out of bamboo alone... just because you can do it with a particular tool doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

But what if the game has rules for things you can't do at the table? We don't want to LARP these combats and travels and stuff (although a well-done haunted house style dungeon LARP with monsters and traps and stuff would be pretty awesome - didn't they do that at a convention?). But the player can actually answer a riddle, solve a puzzle, negotiate with another player, survey the battlefield and spot opportunities, make plans for an expedition. Having a skill at riddle-solving or battlefield tactics would make the game more complete, but maybe those were left out purposefully. What if you looked at the game from the perspective of "Whatever we can do at the table, in our seats, we do - but for everything else we make a rule and roll dice".
This may be a little-endian/big-endian sort of argument, but I think that if the rule set you are using has quantification of the character's intellectual abilities, and the expectation is that players of unintelligent, unperceptive characters will use their own higher capabilities whenever it suits them, that is, again, a sign that roleplaying is not anywhere near the goal of the game. Certainly, the sort of perspective you note above could be done in a game with heavy or no role-playing elements... I think it's orthogonal to the question of role-playing. One of the editions of L5R (I think 2nd) had a section in the Gamemaster's Guide that covered tensions related to this... what to do when you had someone steeped in the versimilitude of a setting who wanted to roleplay social interactions, versus someone who didn't. And what happens when the first person is playing someone with poor social skills, but is attempting to inject their good social skills? And what happens if the second person is playing someone with great social skills, but can't manage such eloquence themselves?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2013, 06:29:02 pm »

Those are good points, ndkid.

I'd just put out there that some people will play D&D foremost as a game where you come across problems and solve them, and other people will play D&D foremost to take on the character's perspective and interact with situations.

Secondly, if the game is meant to challenge the player's problem-solving skills, it doesn't make sense to have a rule where you roll to solve a problem. If it's meant to challenge a player's communication skills, it doesn't make sense to roll to communicate effectively. I think D&D wasn't intended to challenge the player's ability to fire an arrow, or to search for secret doors.

I think it was intended to challenge the player's ability to plan for circumstances in which he's need a bow and arrows (encumbrance minigame), to select a good encounter strategy (melee vs. archery, spells, use an item, flaming oil, sneak away, negotiate, etc.) in the former example.

And in the latter example, to know when would be a likely time to search for secret doors (accurate mapping, suspicion of local monster activity and egress, noticing clues like scrapes in the floor or tracks that end at a wall, etc.), to decide whether it's worthwhile to search (time management - chance to find a secret vs. time wasted causing random encounter checks).

For these reasons I'd say the player should choose whether to shoot an arrow, but a roll should be made for accuracy. The player should choose whether to search, but a roll should be made for success.

Similarly, your negotiation strategy should be chosen by the player, but the character's ability to carry that out would be a roll. You could try to bribe a guard but fail. Less likely would be an inadvertent seduction.

This follows the typical pattern for D&D interactions with the environment: the player declares an attempt and the DM determines the outcome, giving the player feedback on what happened. The player can say "I jump to the moon!" and the DM would refer to the character's jumping ability and probably say "You jump and jump but don't get much higher than 3' or so".

One could argue that a dumb player can't come up with a plan that his smart character would come up with. But coming up with the plan is player skill. Executing the plan is character skill. If your player skill is not up to snuff, you should watch, learn, ask questions, read, try harder; improve. You get better at something if you persist against challenges.

The specific example, of a player with high CHA paired with a character with low CHA, would result in the player figuring out a great way to talk to the NPC (maybe this guard is known to be underpaid, overworked, and of low morale - thus susceptible to bribery) but his character rolls with his low CHA score and may botch it.

A player with low CHA paired with a high-CHA character will probably come up with lame approaches ("hey baby, wanna come back to my place?" to the guard who was just talking to his buddy about how much he loves his wife) but is more likely to pull them off because the character rolls with a high CHA - even with the penalty due to the lame plan.

A player with high INT but character has low INT would come up with an awesome plan to set up a Ponzi scheme, but when rolling his character would probably fumble some details and it would end up not working.

---

@sambojin: I used to think a good DM fudged dice rolls. That is was important for the game to go on, for people to have fun. People get attached to their characters and their magic items. They frequently want to experience cool stuff they don't get to experience in their daily lives.

Then I changed my mind and thought a good DM was fair and honest, presenting clear challenges and letting the players decide what to do - let the dice fall as they may. If the players decide to fight a dragon and they're way too low level, don't lower the HD of the dragon. Don't reduce the breath damage. Don't let them get super high save bonuses because after they attack they all say they're hiding behind their shields. Through hardship there is growth. You don't appreciate wealth until you're poor, or success until you fail.

Then I changed my mind and currently think a good DM is someone who runs a game, tells his players the truth, and if they enjoy it and stick with the game that's wonderful. I personally play and DM as the second paragraph because that's what I think is best. I don't want to play in a game where there is no risk of loss, except what loss the DM decides to cause and which is unavoidable. I'm not going to tell you that your description of a game is the wrong way to play it, or that it sucks (because I'm sure there are plenty of players who think that's perfect), but that it's not for me.

Understanding that, is it really plausible for you to claim that "a good DM ... ignores what the dice roll was" with the unspoken corollary that it is a bad DM who sticks with the rules and dice results?

---

Finally, and I hesitate to bring this up because it's strawmannish, but it sounded like you were saying a DM should change rules at a whim and ignore them if it's inconvenient for him. That seems like a pretty dick move to me.

Example 1: The rules say werewolves need a silver or magic weapon to hit, but a PC succeeds in charming one. A DM could say "oh he's on your side now so he can be hit by any weapons, because I don't want you guys to have that ability".

Example 2: Flaming oil in the game does 2d6 damage the first round, 1d6 the second, but only 1 hp per round if it's a splash or you move through it. You've got a werewolf that needs a magic weapon to hit - which is to say it's immune to non-magical daggers, swords, maces, arrows, etc. The players planned well and all bought oil. They strategized well and all threw oil at the same time, then someone threw a torch. They got really lucky and a lot of them hit. The damage would destroy this "boss werewolf" in one round, and you had intended the battle to go on for some time (including some exposition by the Boss just before he ducks into a secret door and escapes). The DM says that the flaming oil counts as a non-magic weapon because it isn't magical fire, so the monster is immune. Then you splash a vial of acid on it and he says the acid isn't magical so it's immune. Remember that the game will note when a monster is resistant to fire or acid, and this monster doesn't have those notes.

Example 3: Intelligent ravenous monsters attack the PCs, and get some really lucky hits in. The PCs all go down. The monsters then lose interest in the PCs and their living horses and wander off without taking any treasure. The horses drag the PCs back to town where everyone is nursed back to health - even the dead.

(By the way, all of these happened to me as a player)

So, are these the sort of circumstances in which you'd advocate the DM ignore rules and fudge things? Because in my game (1) werewolf keeps his resistance and makes a great, though problematic, servant, (2) boss werewolf dies horribly and everyone high-fives ... there are plenty more challenges to come, (3) either the monsters eat the PCs and we roll up a new party, or the living ones wake up in their den (like the Hoth wampa ice cave thing in star wars) and need to figure out how to escape!

---

There's this argument that whatever the DM says, goes. And that's great if he's not a dick DM. The wonderful thing is you can always leave that shitty game and play with cool people.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2013, 07:45:02 pm »

Also, I'm not saying a DM shouldn't do house rules or make up new stuff or change stuff. I'm saying house rules should be put out there before the circumstances come up. And if all Orcs breathe fire and fly maybe that's something to mention to the PCs because every farmer has heard true stories about Orcs. But if displacer beasts can teleport, maybe that's not common knowledge and the players would legitimately have no reason to know it. One time I had a forest full of cursed crappy grey unicorns that acted like vermin - I got the idea from an Exile game. I didn't need a template, they wouldn't appear anywhere else in the world, it was surprising for the players (and memorable), so I think it was a successful thing. I think it would be downright stupid to see "Dark Grey Shabby Unicorn" in a monster manual!

Make up new templates, new monsters, make up a tribe of goblins that wrangle black puddings, whatever.

But recognize that there's a very real possibility a PC wizard will charm one of those goblin pudding breeders, and if a bunch of stupid goblins can have black pudding guard dogs there's nothing stopping the PCs from doing it too. It's like an enemy having a cool magic item: the PCs will soon have that magic item, if they're worth their salt. You can say it's evil and using it makes you an NPC minion of Set, or you can say it just ran out of charges (ooh! tough luck buddy), or whatever. But the players know it's really just that the DM wanted to blast the PCs and didn't want them to get that power.

I guess it comes down to the DM wanting something to happen a certain way. The DM as frustrated fantasy writer. The players as his actors, reading lines from the script of his magnificent fantasy series. The beauty of tabletop D&D, which computer games have only infrequently been able to achieve, is the player actually being able to try all kinds of things that he wants to do. If the DM says no because he doesn't want the game to become "about" black puddings, maybe he shouldn't have made black puddings so easy to wrangle.

And it's so easy to make a believable reason why something works in a way that the PCs don't like! What if the black puddings live in a sub-level of tunnels beneath the goblin territory, and goblin traps can release them into hallways or drop invaders into black pudding pits? What if you've got a single intelligent black pudding who works with the goblins? It doesn't take a lot of effort to make a thing that's frustrating and dumb into what you wanted in the first place. So if you want to railroad, why not at least try to conceal the tracks a little?

And I don't think any of this has to do with the edition you're playing. I'm not sure I'm interested in any game where I'm basically just completing scenes in the DM's prewritten story. I played Final Fantasy, I'm done with it. But a lot of people still like Final Fantasy. So there ya go.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2013, 07:46:49 pm »

I'm saying house rules should be put out there before the circumstances come up

Ohh wishful thinking Leo. I think we all know how games actually go.

DoomOnion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2013, 07:58:18 pm »

I'm saying house rules should be put out there before the circumstances come up

Ohh wishful thinking Leo. I think we all know how games actually go.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2013, 08:08:18 pm »

I see a few possible things happening with house rules, in my experience:

1: The DM has a ton of house rules but doesn't want to overload his players. He waits to mention anything until it comes up. But players may make plans based on things working in an expected way! For example, if a player can swap stats around in chargen, and he decides to go for a high CHA and leadership skills because he hopes to do the domain endgame, but the DM has decided that politically only born nobles can own land ... which every peasant knows ...

2: The rule issue comes up and the rule is (a) too confusing, (b) leads to ridiculous outcomes, or (c) takes way too long to handle at the table. The DM should probably just make a ruling, research in the meanwhile, and come to the next game with an answer. This is usually what I see happening with, say, grappling or hiring hirelings.

3: The rule issue comes up and the rule is ok but it screws up the DM's plans. Probably related to spell effects and magic items vs. monster special abilities. Sometimes a result of the DM not knowing every possible combination of everything - which is expected. Occasionally a result of the DM having tunnel vision on a cool monster or trap and not noticing when there's a really simple solution that the players have access to.

4: The rule is intentionally ignored until someone steps over the line. Encumbrance is a big one here. A lot of groups ignore it until someone is found to be walking around with 600' of rope and eight bags of chickens. It could also be feat abuse, which seems fine when used 2-3 times but becomes glaringly obvious as a problem when used 100 times in a row. Example: supreme-cleaving along a row of caged rats to travel an arbitrary distance in 1 round.

When I say a house rule should be put out there as early as possible, I mean before the DM benefits from it. When I have to make a ruling, I don't consider it a house rule - it's just to get us past that spot so we're not spending 3 hours arguing about it.

Let's say a player wants to jump over a pit. It looks like his jumping distance is long enough. But the DM wants to make him roll to see if he slips and falls back into the pit - even though he wouldn't have to make that roll jumping across the same distance of bare floor. It would be apt to ask if the floor there is especially slippery or crumbling. What's going on here? Is it just that the DM expected that someone would fall in the pit, or that there's a great monster in the pit that he doesn't want you to miss? That moment is not the time to add a house rule for a DEX check after a successful jump to see if you fall over.

This happens constantly under some DMs. I've seen it go so far as impromptu parry-and-riposte rules dropped in to save an NPC's final few HP.

So I understand it's frequently not possible to plan that far ahead. But the impetus for a sudden house rule or wildly alien ruling shouldn't be to screw over a player.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2013, 08:23:29 pm »

I mean before the DM benefits from it

Adversarial DMing?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5