Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41

Author Topic: WH40k: Dark Heresy Game Thread - Prologue: Heretical Whispers  (Read 52527 times)

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k: Dark Heresy
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 01:56:16 pm »

I'm not sure where to get the rules, or what sort of campaign we'll be playing, but I believe I will play a non-chaos heretic.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 02:44:11 pm »

Good luck with combat Hans. It's a pain in the ass to run if you're trying to adhere to all the rules. Doesn't seem so at first blush, but becomes very apparent as combat gets under way. I'd decide early on how granular you want to make combat; Dark Heresy is set up for very, very granular combat. Going less granular can speed up combat, allowing for larger fights. For example, range is really important to DH combat rules....but it's the first thing I consider expendable because it's what ends you up with 400m engagements where players move 12m a turn.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 03:01:00 pm »

Good luck with combat Hans. It's a pain in the ass to run if you're trying to adhere to all the rules. Doesn't seem so at first blush, but becomes very apparent as combat gets under way. I'd decide early on how granular you want to make combat; Dark Heresy is set up for very, very granular combat. Going less granular can speed up combat, allowing for larger fights. For example, range is really important to DH combat rules....but it's the first thing I consider expendable because it's what ends you up with 400m engagements where players move 12m a turn.

I think it's going to be a bit more fast and loose. I planned on doing a 'test combat' in the first session, under some plot-guided guise, that will help everyone get a good idea for how it works, and to give me an idea of how much of what to throw at you all, and how to deal with group combat stuff. Range will only become a real issue if it's an extreme shot of some sort. I also plan on having a good mix of investigation and combat. This is not going to be murder mystery 40,000, nor is it going to be "Violence is the first, last, and only resort". 

So far, the only good sources I've found for a character sheet is the TG version, which seems a little... Off. But it's the most convienent, so it's what we'll use, I suppose. You lot can make your characters at any time. If there's any questions about character creation, just ask. We'll start at Rank One, and I'll probably give you lot a bit of free armor at the start. I'd recommend taking Lasguns or other las weaponry if possible, simply for the ease with which they can be recharged (sunlight or fire both recharge the ammo packs). When you finish your character, post the link to it here or PM it to me.

We do have to decide a good time to play, and I don't really know what time-zones people are in. I'm in GMT-6, so at the time I posted this, it was 3:00 PM exactly. It would probably be easiest for me to run it on the weekend at night, perhaps Sunday around 8 or 9 PM.

Edit: Use this to start your character off. As it says, this is just a base for your character. I'm still looking for a good editable Character Sheet.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:08:04 pm by Hanslanda »
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 03:12:01 pm »

Range will only become a real issue if it's an extreme shot of some sort.

Sorry, but that's inaccurate. The range you establish a fight at (You see guys 200m down the alley) has a huge impact on people who want to use melee, for example. It will take them several rounds of combat, going flat out, to cover that distance while being shot at. Trust me on this, I've played several of the 40k RPGs now and the issue continually comes up, whether you're Inquisitors, Imperial Guard or Chaos Space Marines. The range at which the fight STARTS dictates how long it will take. A fight at 50m can be over in a couple turns. A fight at over 200m, when you factor in cover, penalties and all that shit.....can go 5 turns or longer.

The real issue is that all the games' combat systems are modeled off the table top. So to them, and the rules, range is important. But it sets up a lot of clunky, exception-y problems because of it, because you're playing a table top RPG in your heads and not a war game with measuring tapes.

My suggestion is to not start fights much farther out than grenade range, until you get familiar with the system.

Just trying to give you the benefit of my experience, after 10 or so games in various 40k systems by Fantasy Flight.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 03:13:53 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

HFS

• Bay Watcher
  • Sealed Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 05:18:08 pm »

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dha-show.php?charnum=50081

Is this right/the right character generator? If not, I can always do my rolls manually and just use notepad or word or something.

EDIT: Oh yeah, first 400xp will be spent on:

-Sound constitution
-Feedback Screech
-Technical Knock
-Rapid Reload
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 06:58:45 pm by HFS »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 06:47:27 pm »

Alright I'll roll up my character. Give me an hour.

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 07:34:28 pm »

PTW. I have no idea if I'll have time to get in a game of this, but I'd like to watch anyway. Is there a way to observe Roll20 sessions?
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 07:45:43 pm »

Is this right/the right character generator? If not, I can always do my rolls manually and just use notepad or word or something.

-Sound constitution
-Feedback Screech
-Technical Knock
-Rapid Reload

It was the only one I found that didn't just generate random characters. And if you can find an editable character sheet, I'd prefer to use that with your own rolls. Also, who doesn't have the core rulebook or any vague idea of how the system works?
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 07:47:06 pm »

-Sound constitution
-Feedback Screech
-Technical Knock
-Rapid Reload

It was the only one I found that didn't just generate random characters. And if you can find an editable character sheet, I'd prefer to use that with your own rolls. Also, who doesn't have the core rulebook or any vague idea of how the system works?
I have the latter from a previous roleplaying effort with Only War, but lack the former.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2013, 07:55:43 pm »

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dha-show.php?charnum=50084

I read the core book a while back, and I've played before, but I don't seem to have a copy of it on this PC.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2013, 08:03:32 pm »

I thought I had the core rulebook, but I can't seem to find it anymore.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2013, 10:10:30 pm »

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dha-show.php?charnum=50090

You can see I kind of min-maxed my character a bit  :P but I'll try to keep the use of psychic powers to a minimum. Way I see it is that it should be a 'direst of circumstances' type thing where my character is VERY reluctant to use his gifts heretical mutation.

EDIT: Yeah give me a moment on purchasing equipment and using xp, I need to read over the rulebook.
I'll take minor psychic power 'healer' (100xp) and a flak vest (50 base cost) if the GM will let me.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 11:38:54 pm by woose1 »

Evilsx

• Bay Watcher
  • Some crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2013, 12:48:29 am »

http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/dha-show.php?charnum=50096

Just made my Adept, hope this good good for you guy (First time doing this :P)
Do not really have the rule book, going to try and look for one
EDIT:Thank you to the person for the Core PDF, i am going to look at when i get back home
« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 08:00:52 am by Evilsx »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2013, 08:38:18 pm »

Expect a lot of "Yo, Adept, what the funk is going on right now?" If you can explain the myriad relationships and motivations of various characters to the layman you have the potential to be the most useful party member by far.

Otherwise... Well. Imagine a world filled with hostile technologically superior aliens and HORRIBLE DEMONS FROM HELL and you're like "yeah, I'll play the office nerd". Brass balls, man.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2013, 08:37:08 pm »

Hmm... I believe I shall go with some sort of sniping-focused assassin guy.

Unmodified Stat Rolls:

WS: 10
BS: 17
S: 6
T: 11
Ag: 12
Int: 11
Per: 11
WP: 10
Fel: 9
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 41