Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hauling changes  (Read 1504 times)

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hauling changes
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:08:37 pm »

So what's the thinking behind having the dwarves hauling bins to items, instead of items to bins like they used to? I'm getting sick of jobs getting cancelled and I'm failing to see any benefits to the change.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
Re: Hauling changes
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 01:29:35 pm »

Multiple hauling jobs for the same stockpile get combined. You need fewer haulers.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

toker606

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 01:31:47 pm »

Multiple hauling jobs for the same stockpile get combined. You need fewer haulers.

Ah, spares you from the familiar sight of a crowd of dwarves all rushing into the same room. That makes sense I guess.
I would fill it with Magma if there was any on my map... there isn't, so I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:23:55 pm »

It's amazing for cleaning up after sieges
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:33:01 pm »

There are init settings that adjust how aggressively dwarves use bins for stuff, but I don't really know if anyone's ever really messed with them to find "ideal" values, since the methodology used is kind of byzantine.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 08:45:01 pm »

Now if only we could set a threshold for number of jobs per stockpile before a dwarf takes the bin to the item instead of the item to the bin.  A global value would work in a pinch but a per stockpile value would be ideal.  We could probably end the whole "missing plump helmet spawn" spam and still use a seed stockpile if we could set the limit to not walk off with the barrle unless theres 100 seeds that need to be gathered up.   On the other hand most other stockpiles would probably be fine with 3-4 queued jobs before takeing the bin is worthwhile.

Then agian what would be really nice is if a bin could be delivered to a workshop that had alot of queued jobs and then it stayed in the workshop till full befor geting hauled to a stockpile.   This would also cut down on hauling in situations where you've got mugs(or whatever) on repeat. a hauler brings a bin to workshop picks up the mugs, hauls it back to the stockpile only for another dwarf to pick it up and haul it back to the workshop to pick up the 5 more mugs that got made while it was in transit.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 11:50:21 am »

There are init settings that adjust how aggressively dwarves use bins for stuff, but I don't really know if anyone's ever really messed with them to find "ideal" values, since the methodology used is kind of byzantine.

as far as I understand, this value governs how much dwarves will give similar but different items a new bin, not how much they will use bins in the first place. A bin with swords and axes would become one with swords an one with axes and after a siege with many weapons lying around they might get a different bin for each weapon type to be collected instead of getting a bin and picking up the nearest weapon untill the bin is full. I don't know ideal values for this, since I'm fine usually with a variety of items in one bin. It's worth meddling with though to get bins with just crafts and none of the other things (ropes, splints, quivers, etc) that sometimes find their way into them if you don't keep the stockpiles well seperated.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Hague

• Bay Watcher
  • How do I shot web?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 02:37:49 am »

You can limit the number of haulers per stockpile by assigning wheelbarrows. For instance, assigning 3 wheelbarrows will make it so only 3 haulers will ever add items to that stockpile at one time. You have to add them manually but I found them pretty useful for my block and metal bar stockpiles. Make smaller piles to get more than 3 barrows at once. So a 3x6 is split into 2 3x3s, each set up to use 3 wheelbarrows.

Wish you could cultivate wood. Would love to get a featherwood plantation started just for bins and wheelbarrows.

For my block stockpile I have 3 1x3 stockpiles being fed by a larger block stockpile that acts as an overflow for these 3. I then link each of the 3 smaller piles to a construction pile for where I'm constructing, a 3x3 stockpile. If the primary 3 stockpiles are full, 9 hauling jobs will be created to use 9 wheelbarrows to fill a 9 tile stockpile for a construction project.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 12:17:16 pm »

So what's the thinking behind having the dwarves hauling bins to items, instead of items to bins like they used to? I'm getting sick of jobs getting cancelled and I'm failing to see any benefits to the change.

add to this the growth bug and I try to picture the child sized dwarfs trying to carry the bins/barrels around
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:27:39 pm »

though to be fair that bug has been around much longer, but yeah, sometimes DF throws up funny weird stuff like that