Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Issues w/ Trading  (Read 1551 times)

PashaN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Issues w/ Trading
« on: October 01, 2013, 12:31:53 pm »

I've only been playing this game for a week, so please forgive my ignorance, but...

I can't seem to trade properly. The trading depot is outside. Merchants visit it. I can transfer goods to the depot and make trades. When I make a trade my goods switch to the opposite side of the menu.

However, I never get my purchased goods. I've bought multiple anvils, tons of seeds, and weapons and none of it ever shows up.

I've made new piles for every possible category and yet I still never receive anything. Help?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Issues w/ Trading
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 12:40:19 pm »

Hm, are you actually [t]rading or are you (o)ffering? Because offering is just giving stuff without trading, I know it sounds like it means you're making an offer on a deal, but that's not what it is. The offering function pretty much only has to do with becoming mountainhome, I'm not sure what effect, if any, it has on other civs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 12:43:37 pm by smjjames »

PashaN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:43:25 pm »

I suppose that's possible. I double-checked to see if the trader had the same amount of anvils and I don't believe he does. Also, it tells me what the trader is making in profit and I've had him not agree to certain deals, so I think the trade is going through...

blue sam3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 04:04:37 pm »

When you say you don't get it, do you mean it doesn't turn up on your side of the trading screen, didn't get moved to a stockpile, you couldn't use it, or it didn't appear on the stocks menu?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 03:10:39 pm »

When you say you don't get it, do you mean it doesn't turn up on your side of the trading screen, didn't get moved to a stockpile, you couldn't use it, or it didn't appear on the stocks menu?

Right, because if you check back during a merchant's visit, the items you 'bought' would not be available to trade back without a 'bring goods to depot' even though they are at a distance of zero.  So it might seem as if you hadn't received it
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 03:15:18 pm »

Right, because if you check back during a merchant's visit, the items you 'bought' would not be available to trade back without a 'bring goods to depot' even though they are at a distance of zero.  So it might seem as if you hadn't received it

It also sounds like his dwarves don't even pick up the bought goods.

Raphite1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Beards and Brimstone
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 04:13:26 pm »

I don't think your dwarves will unload the purchased goods into stockpiles until the traders actually leave the depot, and often they hang around for some time, even after the departure message.

I'm not 100% sure that I'm correct in this observation.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 05:30:31 pm »

Items become haulable as soon as they're bought.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

PashaN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 05:14:58 pm »

Yeah. I'm not really sure what's going on with my DF right now.

My dwarves mostly just sit around. They haul stuff occasionally. They build stuff when they feel like it. I removed my first trade depot and then second one has been pending for over a year...so I can't trade.

I have 70 dwarves in the fort. At any given time maybe 20 of them are working. My miners don't mine. My masons don't build anything. Plenty of mats. I mean, I know how to follow directions. I just can't figure out what's going on.

So, I guess I'll start over.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:57:26 pm »

Have you checked for access problems? One simple-ish way of doing this is to place a construction and note what materials you have and how far away they are. If the area you're trying to build in has a fortress's worth of stuff on the list, then you have a fortress's worth of access.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 09:49:28 am »

My dwarves mostly just sit around. They haul stuff occasionally. They build stuff when they feel like it. I removed my first trade depot and then second one has been pending for over a year...so I can't trade.

I have 70 dwarves in the fort. At any given time maybe 20 of them are working. My miners don't mine. My masons don't build anything. Plenty of mats. I mean, I know how to follow directions. I just can't figure out what's going on.

50/70 idle is not, by itself, an indication the fort is broken.  And barring a bad mood spiral or frame rate issue, there is not much I can think off that would effect the whole group.

Except that I caught myself once designating too much digging.  Seemed like I piled on so much work to be done that they sat down and sulked.

And being suspicioius of all things computer, I saved and restarted the fortress to check the electron plumbing.

good luck
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

jcochran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 11:53:28 am »

Things that come to mind....
1. Burrows... Do you perhaps have some of them defined and they're keeping the dwarves from accepting new jobs?
2. Are you sure you have the labors enabled on the dwarves? You may have accidentally turned 'em off.

PashaN

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2013, 02:46:23 pm »

Yeah. Nothing seems to work. Game is buggy as all hell.

Thanks for trying to help. Time to move on to another game.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2013, 08:41:54 pm »

Yeah. Nothing seems to work. Game is buggy as all hell.

Thanks for trying to help. Time to move on to another game.
While the game certainly does have quite a lot of bugs, I don't think you're currently observing one of them - if you could post your savegame on DFFD (or somewhere else public), somebody here might be able to determine what's wrong and set you back on the right track.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.