Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Artifact Zinc Breastplate?  (Read 3754 times)

Silfarion

• Bay Watcher
  • praise mlaatr
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact Zinc Breastplate?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 01:22:34 am »

Use it as your best warrior's ceremonial dwarf tuxedo
BEARDS! BEARDS FOR THE POOR!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 04:23:19 am »

You can melt copper goblinite and a dwarf with a prefeerence for copper will still use steel in this way. If you smelt a tetrahedrite boulder hell demmand copper.

I don't think it works like that - the way i understand it, dwarfs with metal preference will demand 'their' type of metal if you've _produced bars of this type_ in your fort. And for this purpose, it shouldn't matter whether you produced them by smelting ore or melting down items.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 06:57:36 am »

It sounds stupid I know, but my last fort was a study in artifact generation from moods.

Ive posted what I have because that the experience I had. I definately had dwarves with a preference for a metal I had bars of that used the bars I wanted. To start with i was atom smashing all the goblinite but then I ended up with a few bars of metals I didnt want via forbiding all bars via the stock screen when a merchant was in the depot (so I forbidded the merchants bars and they "became mine"). after this the preferences still did not mandate the material (I was still forbidding the metals I didnt want to be used)

For platinum, which i did smelt from boulders they would not use steel, they only collected when I forbidded the platinum. hence 5 platinum warhammers (which I did scum for).

EDIT I had 0 copper artifacts in that fort. I never smelted tetrahedrite and I had 1000+ copper bars at the end (copper is just an example, i had lots of other metals i never smelted from boulders).

I imagine if you didnt have iron you could smelt bronze bars from rocks only and then bronze would be viable for moods where copper or tin wouldnt be. (thats what id try if i embarked without iron but possessing tin and copper).

Id also go with "wear zinc breastplate over steel mail shirt" for pimpness, as armour cant be put into a trap (or on a stand) like weapons can to boost room value.

FINAL EDIT

I also had 1 pig iron spear and a pig iron cabinet due to a preference for pig iron, which i had smelted (tho not from boulders obvisouly) because i was smelting pig iron. Somone did suggest to me embarking with a bar of pig iron (or two or x) to allow me to smelt steel without smelting pig iron, and then multiplying my steel by making the right items, but that was too late for that fort.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 07:07:23 am by sirdvae79 »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 08:02:02 am »

It sounds stupid I know, but my last fort was a study in artifact generation from moods.

Ive posted what I have because that the experience I had. I definately had dwarves with a preference for a metal I had bars of that used the bars I wanted. To start with i was atom smashing all the goblinite but then I ended up with a few bars of metals I didnt want via forbiding all bars via the stock screen when a merchant was in the depot (so I forbidded the merchants bars and they "became mine"). after this the preferences still did not mandate the material (I was still forbidding the metals I didnt want to be used)

For platinum, which i did smelt from boulders they would not use steel, they only collected when I forbidded the platinum. hence 5 platinum warhammers (which I did scum for).

EDIT I had 0 copper artifacts in that fort. I never smelted tetrahedrite and I had 1000+ copper bars at the end (copper is just an example, i had lots of other metals i never smelted from boulders).

I imagine if you didnt have iron you could smelt bronze bars from rocks only and then bronze would be viable for moods where copper or tin wouldnt be. (thats what id try if i embarked without iron but possessing tin and copper).

Id also go with "wear zinc breastplate over steel mail shirt" for pimpness, as armour cant be put into a trap (or on a stand) like weapons can to boost room value.

FINAL EDIT

I also had 1 pig iron spear and a pig iron cabinet due to a preference for pig iron, which i had smelted (tho not from boulders obvisouly) because i was smelting pig iron. Somone did suggest to me embarking with a bar of pig iron (or two or x) to allow me to smelt steel without smelting pig iron, and then multiplying my steel by making the right items, but that was too late for that fort.

I don't see how the above is a counterpoint to the claim that you should avoid _producing_ bars of any metal you don't want used in moods. First off, claiming bars as yours from the caravan isn't producing them, it's the same as if you would have traded for them. Which is possible without allowing dwarves to demand those bars for moods; they'll still demand them if you don't do the forbidding trick/exploit. As for the 0 copper artifacts, that's not any evidence in and of itself either, because it's possible to have 0 dwarves with a copper preference mood a metal-using skill (you may or may not have had copper-preference dwarves with a metal-using skill as their moodable one, but you didn't say either way).

Smelting directly to alloys like bronze should be fine, yea, but in the case of tetrahedrite, you're losing some value from not getting the bonus silver. Up to you if that's significant enough. The status of melting items is inconclusive based off your evidence, but I'd say as long as they're metal bars instead of (metal bars) they can be demanded for moods, not just preferred.

The bling thing is nice, and legendary dodger/shield user makes them get hit so rarely anyway, that not having an effective breastplate shouldn't be a big problem.

Lastly, I wouldn't boast (sounded like one, initially) that I had so-and-so many artifacts that were so-and-so great, if I had savescummed for some of them. Of course experienced players will know just from the numbers that there's pretty much no way you got those without at least the forbidding trick and extensive training to ensure desireable skills mooding, but still... However, if the fort was for artifact science, that's of course a different matter.

Urist MacNoob

• Bay Watcher
  • Indrick Boreale, Adventurus Astartes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2013, 10:03:53 am »

I got a black bronze shield emblazoned with the insignia of my fortress and decorated with point-cut gems.

That's good, right? My militia captain is using it.
Coldmonkey: "The idea that having flaming tools and introducing them to the intimate workings of someone you don't get along with is much too human for these forums. I mean, it's not really that hard, is it? Anyone can wield a torch, it doesn't prove anything. Wearing flaming clothes on the other hand, or better yet, wearing nothing at all and being on fire... that is the essence of dwarfish behavior."

Fenrisson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2013, 10:15:16 am »

Shield are always good artifacts! Light Materials are considered better though....

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2013, 10:20:15 am »

Shield are always good artifacts! Light Materials are considered better though....

Not particularly. Shield-bashing can be quite useful. A black bronze shield is good for that.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 10:25:06 am »

I got a black bronze shield emblazoned with the insignia of my fortress and decorated with point-cut gems.

That's good, right? My militia captain is using it.
As I said before, for shields material doesn't really matter. If its lighter it won't slow them down as much, but if its heavier it will bash more effectively. As for blocking, material doesn't matter. A featherwood shield will block dragonfire fine, without burning. Try it in the arena, it works!

And artifact shields get a nice bonus to blocking.

Personally though, I prefer light shields. Faster dwarves get to combat faster, and attack more often (If I remember correctly, movement speed is used for attack speed currently). A heavier shield just means that the odd shield bash will be less effective than a warhammer.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2013, 10:44:36 am »

Snaake, im not trying to boast, im trying to share what ive learned. I would have thought including that id scummed for certain mood results would have made it clear this is not a boast.

I dont understand what your saying here

"I don't see how the above is a counterpoint (argument against ?) to the claim that you should avoid _producing_ bars of any metal you don't want used in moods"

Im suggesting that avoiding the smelting of a bar you dont want used in a mood works and you can even melt goblinite and that the goblinite bars can be avoided for use in moods unlike bars smelted in fortress based on my experience with my current/latest fort.

I realised as I wrote that I had 0 copper artifacts that this wasnt evidence in itself but with this fort, because I was experimenting with artifact creation, every time a mood struck I would examine the dwarf, check his preferences, and then forbid the bars accordingly.

Im now stating that I have had a dwarf pass over a metal that he has a preference for when "mooding" because I havent smelted the rocks, and moods that they would insist upon using their preference metal because i had smelted the rocks.

I have the save file to prove this. But im not here to prove anything. I thought my comments might make someone who was not happy they received a ceremonial zinc breastplate realise that one can exert a lot more control over the results of a mood and who may not already know so.

The difference between an artifact steel and a zinc is so great (1 is useful and 1 useless) that it greatly annoys me that random metal breastplates occur, enough to learn the rules and techniques to maximising the benefit in artifact creation.

I dont understand why its bad that someone whos experienced and viewed my artifact list would know ive save scummed ? Also theyd only know that because of 5 warhammers, 5 crossbows and 0 of the weapons/armours I dont want, not from the fact that 90 percent of my stuff is made of steel. Even Steel undesired weapons or armour are pretty useful compared to zinc.

Also I see the forbidding of metal as a technique that ensures good results, I dont see it as an exploit, like save scumming.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 10:48:18 am by sirdvae79 »

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 07:15:29 pm »

sirdvae, the point of contention was that melting metal objects would count as producing bars the same way as smelting ores, i.e. they can be demanded. But to counter that, you said that you accidentally(?) forbade some bars still owned by merchants, and then seemed to claim that the fact that those bars were not demanded in moods was evidence that melted bars can't be demanded. I'm not saying you're wrong about melting, I'm saying that this paragraph does not in fact say anything about bars from melted items not being "demandable":

You just say you used to atomsmash goblinite, but apparently stopped. And then you got some bars by forbidding the merchants'. I repeat, neither has any bearing on whether bars from melting can be demanded. I can only judge your evidence based off what you say, not what you did in your fort. Or said in your most recent post, but not earlier. You may have been implying it earlier, but you didn't state clear evidence.

About the boasting thing: I do pick my words carefully, e.g. both "I wouldn't boast..." and "(sounded like one, initially)" were phrased that way for a reason. I wasn't actually accusing you of boasting, just saying that your first post in this thread did sound somewhat boastful ("I've got lots of artefacts, lots of them weapons/armor, practically all out of steel, too"), but I also said that once you mentioned that it was an artifact-generation testing fort, the context changed entirely.

Lastly, forbidding all but the desired metals is a (small) exploit in my books (which is not to say I haven't used it a few times, but normally not): I think that if it was intended for the player to be able to cherry-pick materials for moods, then there would actually be a UI for that, like for regular weaponcrafting, for example... Of course, even if the forbidding trick, or restricting materials via burrows, were fixed to remove them as possibilities for the savvy player, the savvy player would still find ways to get mooders to use the (non-demanded) materials they want used, not what the dwarf would pick: for example, locking/walling potential mooders in rooms with only the materials desired/dumping in any decoration materials.
tl;dr: Artifacts are meant to be random, and a product of a dwarf going temporarily crazy; what makes you think you're meant to be able to pick the materials in them?

Not particularly. Shield-bashing can be quite useful. A black bronze shield is good for that.

As for this, the correct, or at least better, statement would be "Not necessarily". Light materials are good for less weight, heavy materials for shield-bashing, and there are some relatively marginal situations (at least in vanilla) where ideally you'd have them at least be fire-safe. Nether-cap is even dragonfire-safe, but since the shield is only affected by the tile the wearer is standing on, not by the direct dragonbreath, which is just blocked, it doesn't really matter much, unless a dwarf drops the shield on the battlefield, and it gets breathed on after that.

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2013, 08:28:13 pm »

Iron's enough for vanilla. Bronze and iron weapons can't get through iron armour, and no enemies in vanilla carry steel.
[/quote]
This is true in most cases; however, an iron spear, and very rarely even a copper one, can pierce iron armor.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2013, 11:09:44 pm »

There's always the RNG, true. I'm using the Broken Arrow mod and total amateurs are still putting bone bolts through copper breastplates, albeit with reduced effect. Haven't had any dwarves headshotting or heartshotting iron-clad goblins with bone bolts.

I've also seen goblins with silver spears do horrific nerve damage through iron or steel armour. Maybe nerves, not being part of the body system, don't interact with armour and attacks as they should do...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 [2]