Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)  (Read 14196 times)

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Volcanic Musical Chairs (Now accepting Alternates)
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2013, 10:29:48 pm »

That has an effect on trading? Your home civ can trade with you no matter where you embark is. As long as your embark zone doesn't end in ocean on all sides your civ can reach you, and embarks like that are extremely rare. Even if you're right that just means they probably don't have to worry about goblins.
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 18, 2013, 10:40:23 pm »

That has an effect on trading? Your home civ can trade with you no matter where you embark is. As long as your embark zone doesn't end in ocean on all sides your civ can reach you, and embarks like that are extremely rare. Even if you're right that just means they probably don't have to worry about goblins.

If they don't send caravans, your home civ is dead.

If your home civ is dead, you don't get any migrants.

If you don't get any migrants, all life become precious.

If all life becomes precious, you're not gonna do well on a biome like this... Trust me... I have experience with lack of caravans, so I should last with or without it. I just want to be prepared in case I actually DO get them. Better safe then sorry, right?
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2013, 05:39:23 am »

I am pretty sure that no one and nothing will come. I will have to start some forced breeding program in my next turn. Not sure if there is any point in building a military.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2013, 10:28:33 am »

I am pretty sure that no one and nothing will come. I will have to start some forced breeding program in my next turn. Not sure if there is any point in building a military.

We won't know if they're dead until the second year, because the caravan is ONE sign of either being really really far away from the mountain homes or if you get no hard coded migrants after the first year, then you're screwed... royally

Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2013, 12:57:04 pm »

15th of Limestone, 31: The Migrant Protection Hut
Well, we've been doing some good work around here. We got lots of food, good amount of booze, and we're now constructing another hideaway. Its original intent was to take in caravans if they show up, but it doubles as a migrant shelter. Hows that sound? We've also began carving out a dining hall and some other necessities. Copper is pouring out of our smelters with quick ease, and at this time, we're waiting for this damn water buffalo corpse to go away...We can't build the shelter with it sanding there...

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2013, 01:08:16 pm »

Hows that sound?

Useless in more ways than one:P

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2013, 01:37:37 pm »

Hows that sound?

Useless in more ways than one:P
What did you do with all your migrants? Leave them outside for the giant undead ravens?

17th of Sandstone, 31: Homes of Ice a Copper Mine?
We have TONS of native copper lying about... And we also found tetrahedryte, and lots of it... I'm getting the feeling that most of our stuff will be copper... Meanwhile, the damned water buffalo came by and chased inside our new migrants. A wax worker, a fisherdwarf and a wood burner... All useless skills! I also finally got the barracks constructed with some beds in place. Hopefully, we can actually get some proper sleep until we find some underground trees...

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 19, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »

15th of Timber, 31: Problems and Solutions
Well, the still somehow got turned off so we have no booze right now, but we're making some. But that's the least of our worries. A couple days back a giant mole came out and started to attack our miners. How does a mole attack if we're sealed up you ask? Well, we hit two caverns not too long ago before that. The issue was, we dug right in the middle of one, and we tried to wall it off. We dug more down and we dug INTO a downward passage. This is where the giant mole came from. I killed it quickly. We got a small hole above magma where we're going to toss corpses now, can't be too careul... And the first cavern has NOTHING in it but some webs. The second has some trees but not enough to make beds for everyone... Gods help us...

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 19, 2013, 03:32:59 pm »

OOC: I won't be able to play for a few days, so can you swap in an alternate for me for just this week?
Also, I can confirm that there is no trade, so presumably no migrants after the hardcoded ones. This will be fun indeed.
EDIT: also the fortress is named "Crystalmaze".
~~~
Year 30
Just my luck. Forced to leave the warmth of our halls to “make a grand new fortress for the glory of Regzan!” Strike the earth, bah!
We have gotten a magma smelter up and running, but the fact that andesite, the main layer stone, isn’t magma safe really set things back.
My companions are soft fools. We brought a huge stock of perfectly good meat, but oh no, they wouldn’t eat it. “It’s raw, mister Shadowhammer! I can’t eat raw meat, mister Shadowhammer! Now I’m starving, mister Shadowhammer!” What kind of pansy can’t eat raw meat? Finally their complaints got to me and I let them build a kitchen.
Ah!! The horse was starving, so we butchered it, and then the chopped up bits rose from the dead!! A few lucky shots put it back to rest, but the dogs got a real work out keeping them that way until we could get them to the volcano and throw them in. I have created a retracting bridge for easier disposal of future zombies.
Apparently we have found a great magma sea. Weird, I coulda sworn that was just the volcano shaft. Well, the miners know best, I suppose.
Now the miners are going on about this magma poo, that they discovered. Strange, the “pool” is like twice the size of the “sea”. Stupid miners.
The cheesemaker was taken by a fey mood today. At first I thought he was just going crazy from not being able to practice his esteemed craft of cheesemaking, but then he made a trumpet out of two logs, so I guess he’s okay. I’m tempted to throw him into the volcano for wasting some of our precious logs though.
We really are running low on wood. I have told the miners to keep digging deeper in hopes of finding the caverns, but no luck yet, and my reign is running out. Hopefully my successor will be able to find them.
There was a very near disaster. The plump helmet farms were left unplanted for a short time, but it was long enough for us to run out of distillable items. Then the beer ran out, and if the harvest hadn’t come in just then, there would’ve been some serious riots over our dwindling alcohol stocks. I have assigned a work order manager to prevent it from happening again.
Just when I had lost hope, we struck caverns! They are very deep, around level -20, but they don’t contain any nether cap or thorn bush, so they aren’t even the most dangerous level of cavern. Now we have a source of both water and wood for the fortress.
One of our masons has been taken by a fey mood. Using two granite boulders, he made a bed. You wouldn’t think that it would be comfortable to sleep in, being made out of solid rock and all, but I guess he wasn’t really thinking of practicality.
Spring has arrived, and my reign is ended. Hopefully I leave the fortress in good hands.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 03:45:12 pm by ShadowHammer »

Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 19, 2013, 03:42:19 pm »

Oh. I wasn't aware the home civ was dead. Yeah that changes things significantly. There was only one dwarf civ right?
Please don't let textbooks invade Bay12.
The Conquistadors only have the faintest idea of what the modern world is like when they are greeted by two hostile WWI Veterans riding on a giant potato; Welcome to 2016.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2013, 08:03:24 pm »

Oh. I wasn't aware the home civ was dead. Yeah that changes things significantly. There was only one dwarf civ right?
There's no leaders, meaning home civ is indeed dead.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 19, 2013, 08:15:09 pm »

Fey mood? You have more than 20 dwarves? I am jealous.
Magma poo? Not so much.

BlackMuffin

• Bay Watcher
  • One notable kill: Himself
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2013, 09:35:19 pm »

Magma poo?
Probably comes from all the magma crabs swimming about in the volcano.
Mod mod mod the raws!
Mod mod mod the raws!
SAY YES TO SLAVERY
A better fort for you and me!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2013, 10:14:25 pm »

15th of Obsidian, 31: Problems and More Problems
If tihngs couldn't get any worse, they did... That mole corpse is now in a small reoom where was supposed to alternate doors and fill up with magma to incinerate the corpses... Turns out the floodgates don't work that way so we now have somewhat of a magma cannon... Wonderful... We lost two dwarves from that mole and I hope it rots in hell... We have 11 dwarves total and no caravan... I except lots of issues here...

Also, my foot is gone...

1st of Granite, 32: I'm done with this place!
Too many problem here... I'm going off to the other fortresses that others have told me about. They're near volcanos, but they MUST be much more manageable then this! I swear, there are so many problems here, its not funny! Good luck to whoever is taking over this place, cause I'm headed to another location!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2013, 07:03:02 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10